Request from model to for me not use photos from TFP photos 5 years af...

Request from model to for me not use photos from TFP photos 5 years after shoot

26 posts
13 April 2014
Strika
Photographer
Strika
I've just received an email from a model I worked with about 5 - 6 years ago on a TFP shoot. This was the models first ever shoot.
She has requested that I take offline all pictures of her from the shoot as she now doesn't want anyone to see them. She has moved on in the modeling world .
Any thoughts?

Posted 13 April 2014
Gerry99111
Photographer
Gerry99111
Do you actually need images shot 5 years ago to be online?

Was it a polite request or an arsy one and was it a good shoot at the time?

She could be doing something career wise where this would cause her a lot of distress, are having them online that important to you? She has not asked for them to be deleted

Posted 13 April 2014
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
If you haven't moved on the photographic world it may be a difficult decision for you.

Posted 13 April 2014
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictu..
My sympathies here lay entirely with the model. It would be a nice gesture to remove them. It's nice to be nice.

Posted 13 April 2014
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
If the pictures are special to you, you can probably compromise by removing her name so that no one accidentally encounters them in a search , which is probably her main concern

Posted 13 April 2014
Strika
Photographer
Strika
Cheers

Posted 13 April 2014
gerryquiff
Photographer
gerryquiff
SOD HER, and hope she doesn't tell every other model she talks to.

OR

Be a decent guy and hopes she tells every other model she talks to.

Easy cheeky

Posted 13 April 2014
thestarglider
Photographer
thestarglide..
It's entirely up to you. They're your pictures (unless you signed the copyright away to her or someone else with a contract), so you can decide if you want to remove them or not.

I don't however think it's nasty to say no. If you like the pics, then you have every right to say no.

Posted 13 April 2014
katiesoze
Photographer
katiesoze
Why are you using the same pictures from 5 years ago anyways? I would hope my style is so much better in 5 years I'll be ashamed of my current port.

Posted 13 April 2014
mph
Photographer
mph
A polite request - go along with it.

An impolite demand - tell her to get lost.

Simples!

Posted 14 April 2014
Bob
Photographer
Bob
katiesoze

Why are you using the same pictures from 5 years ago anyways?

Surely a photograph is for ever and not just for today, or this year?

katiesoze

I would hope my style is so much better in 5 years I'll be ashamed of my current port.

Oh dear. As this one has been on my portfolio for seven years (and is actually nine years old) I wonder if I should be ashamed of it and should take it down?

Model: Sweetpea aka Dulce

As for the original question, just because a model has "moved on in the modeling world" does not strike me as as reasonable grounds for removal of work from one's portfolio. Looking at it from another angle, it could possibly be argued that were not for these "first shoot" images the model might not have been able to move beyond the first rung of the modelling world so the request to remove them is a bit unfair and could even be construed as an attempt to rewrite history.

Bob
Posted 14 April 2014
Edited by Bob 14 April 2014
OldMaster
Photographer
OldMaster
Why do you need to ask others opinions? I am guessing after all these years you understand the copyright is yours. I can only assume you are hoping we will all give you the answer hou want to hear?

Well, you haven't got it! Surely the mature thing would be to discuss it with her. Don't see that paid or tf/cd has anything to do with it. As others have said, if you think the images from a first shoot are essential to promoting your skills then of course you can ignore her but if you feel like responding to a reasonable request in a positive light, you might be able to move on in the knowledge that you have done the right thing by her?

Posted 14 April 2014
Edited by OldMaster 14 April 2014
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
Bob
Surely a photograph is for ever and not just for today, or this year? katiesoze I would hope my style is so much better in 5 years I'll be ashamed of my current port. Oh dear. As this one has been on my portfolio for seven years (and is actually nine years old) I wonder if I should be ashamed of it and should take it down? Model: Sweetpea aka Dulce As for the original question, just because a model has "moved on in the modeling world" does not strike me as as reasonable grounds for removal of work from one's portfolio. Looking at it from another angle, it could possibly be argued that were not for these "first shoot" images the model might not have been able to move beyond the first rung of the modelling world so the request to remove them is a bit unfair and could even be construed as an attempt to rewrite history. Bob
Have you seen the photos ? It is rather unlikely that the shots from a model's first shoot are going to be exceptional, and stand the test of time. Whilst Katie expresses it rather personally (when you are young like her, it is normal to think your pics have improved significantly over 5 years), the point is that in general one would expect to take a lot of photos in 5 years and normally a photo that was 5+ years old would have to be exceptional to be worth 'fighting' over. As I said earlier in this thread, I'm sure that the model would be mainly concerned about someone googling her and encountering the photos which she feels do not represent her current standards, so merely removing her name, or even giving her an alias would probably be sufficient to achieve her aim. ps if you want a portfolio review there is a separate section where you can ask people to comment on your photos.
Posted 14 April 2014
Edited by stolenfaces 14 April 2014
Plymjack
Photographer
Plymjack
stolenfaces

If the pictures are special to you, you can probably compromise by removing her name so that no one accidentally encounters them in a search , which is probably her main concern

facial recognition will see find her....

Unless it was you most amazing best shoot ever I would hope you could move on after 5 years...

Posted 14 April 2014
Liteangle
Photographer
Liteangle
I agree with the others who advocate withdrawing the image, it's not normally a big deal to 'lose' photographs from five years ago, however if there is a particularly strong image then perhaps you should discuss with the model limited usage such as removing it from web sites such as this but using it in other ways such as in books and exhibitions anonymously.

Posted 14 April 2014
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join