Payment plans for weddings, who does them and how do you work it?

Payment plans for weddings, who does them and how do you work it?

21 posts
8 April 2014
Iconic
Photographer
Iconic
been asked alot of times to do a payment plan so that people can pay for their photos after their weddingi n installments but i dont know how to go about it , the only way i can see if by holding back their photos untill they pay but i dont think  customers would be happy about that, the other soli=ution is to get a legal contract drafted that would give me the power to chase the debt if unpaid and give the photos etc before the payment in a sort of credit agreement anyone got any advice?

Posted 8 April 2014
mph
Photographer
mph
Don't?
Posted 8 April 2014
FrameworksMedia
Photographer
FrameworksMe..
Full payment 2 weeks before wedding for agreed package. Additional extras paid in full at time of order - before delivery.

I offer payment plan BEFORE the wedding so that people can pay each month, but as stated above, it needs to be completed and paid in full 2 weeks before the wedding.

If people are struggling to pay in cash, you can accept credit cards quite easily via several options - use paypal at a push.

Never accept payment terms after the event - it's doomed to failure.

Posted 8 April 2014
I don't think I could have slept at night knowing I owed people money after my wedding.

I paid everything before the wedding - When it came to the photographer I paid him £500 deposit when I booked him then - every 3 months until the wedding we put £500 into his bank account.

My venue got 100% of estimated payment 14 days before the wedding so I owed them nothing when I checked out the next morning. My band were paid 80% of their fee months before the big day (we paid the final payment before they played that day). I booked my piper only a few weeks before the wedding and didn't get a chance to meet him before the wedding itself but he was also paid in cash on the day of the wedding before he even lifted his pipes to play.

So perhaps offer people to send money in chunks rather than in 1 lump of money, I found that an easier way to pay for my photographer and venue. I'm sure with the venue I had to pay £500 within 14 days to secure the date and that was back in Feb last year... Then it was compulsory to pay another lump sum 6 months before the wedding. The final £1,500 was paid 14 days before the wedding.

I hear the leading cause of divorce is money related issues - so if people can't afford your services over their planning period then they probably aren't the customers you want. Weddings are expensive but don't be a factor in an early divorce. If people really want you at their wedding then they should be prepared to pay you before you go to the trouble of photographing their big day.

Lets face it they can't get away with paying anybody else after the wedding (other than a credit card) so just don't offer it.

Posted 8 April 2014
w4pictures
Photographer
w4pictures
The usual payment plan is a hefty deposit when making the booking and the balance paid at least 2 weeks before the wedding.

Posted 8 April 2014
MLP
Photographer
MLP

If they can not afford it before the wedding day; they certainly will not after!!

Posted 8 April 2014
paule
Photographer
paule
as has been stated all before the event..

a few couples ask to make regular instalments before the day, I advise them to buy premium bonds with it and then cash it in the month before.. they could win the jackpot.. I think it also shows them I'm not just after their cash..

I've never taken payment after a wedding..

Posted 8 April 2014
MG
Photographer
MG
My first wedding I ever did, I did a payment plan. Worked very successfully. They had to give me £50 a month for a year... Completely perfect arrangement.....

Until they got divorced on month three! Ended up taking them to court for it! Won and eventually got paid but never ever again. That was 100 years ago!! True story!

Posted 8 April 2014
OldMaster
Photographer
OldMaster
Absolutely don't do it...if they haven't paid before the wedding you will be amazed at what they weren't happy with after and will haggle about.. I don't think any other wedding service works like that so don't put wedding photography in an even worse position than it already is! Create an account that will accept card payment...don't be a credit provider for them.

Wedding photography now comes after they have paid for their mates to get drunk, the cake and even the flowers.....some would even offer you the "opportunity" to shoot their wedding tf/cd!!!!

Frankly you are making a rod for your own back..if they can't afford you before they are not going to be able to pay you after, particularly after they have paid for their honeymoon. You will be chasing them through the small claims court which is a tedious procedure and not always guaranteed success.

They pay you in full before the wedding, period! By all means let their credit cards take the strain....at least you have your money? Trust me on this, I was a wedding photographer for 25 years!

Posted 9 April 2014
Allinthemind
Photographer
Allinthemind
There are laws about offering credit terms too. I remember a thread some time ago on a wedding forum but I don't remember the details. The way around it was to offer chunks, so
1: booking Fee is xxx
2: Guaranteed attendance fee: yyy
3: Photograps on CD: zzz

etc

Posted 10 April 2014
OldMaster
Photographer
OldMaster
Sure but customers can pay by pay pal for instance nominating any card they have registered and you only need an email address for them to pay into. That way they can put it on a credit card and you have your money in full...?

For me it was too much grief to collect it in chunks as long as I had the total by the day, or even on the day sometimes, they would get their pictures once it was all cleared in my bank.

Never had one bounce or not pay me in 25 years, another good reason for always meeting them and "bonding" before the day!

Posted 10 April 2014
TheShinyOne
Photographer
TheShinyOne
Nobody else gets paid after the wedding event, why should you be the only one ? The venue/caterers/flowers/honeymoon will have been paid for or their service won't be available - why should wedding photography be less valued ? What if they complain about the photos and refuse to pay the agreed amount, due to no fault of yours ?

Posted 10 April 2014
redbaron
Photographer
redbaron
Don't. Simples. More than either three or four payments (can't remember which) and you need to be a licensed credit broker, which will set you back around £500. Even if you had that the answer would still be no, never. As has already been pointed out if they do not have the money before the wedding they will not have it after. Which means they will then be even more likely to start finding faults they can use to demand a reduction. Indeed I very much doubt you will see any money after the wedding, particularly if they are put in a position where they are able to copy the images somehow. You get a signed contract out of them stipulating when full payment is required by and making clear that any booking fee or part payments up until then are to cover reserving your time on the day and are not refundable. No final payment no photographer. I look forward to a delightful thread in a few months after you ignore all the advice on here by those doing this for a living and regale us with your sob story
Posted 10 April 2014
jivago
Photographer
jivago
People still pay money for wedding snappers?
Posted 10 April 2014
MikeDanby
Photographer
MikeDanby
Well, the way that I've done it is:-

For wedding packages:-
10% - booking deposit with a signed contract, after reading all TnC's
80% - 4 weeks (28 days) before the wedding.
10% - On delivery of images/product + any additional costs - additional mileage, parking charges etc.

For Albums:-
100% - On ordering.

The reason for the 10% on delivery - well, it gives me the incentive to get the clients the images as soon as, and gives them the feeling that they have a hold, that they won't be forgotten and there is a bit of a comeback if they're not 100% happy. It hasn't failed yet; I've always walked away with 100% in the end.

Posted 11 May 2014
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join