Anyone else use DXO Filmpack 4?

Anyone else use DXO Filmpack 4?

7 posts
2 April 2014
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Does the radial-fill background piss you off as much as it does with me?

I personally find it really distracting when evaluating images, and an email to DXO (a while ago) was fruitless (they fail to see any problem).  I'm using it again after many months of not Photoshopping and it's really winding me up tonight.

You can see the effect of it here, either side of the image:

Posted 2 April 2014
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
what exactly is the problem?

Posted 2 April 2014
OldMaster
Photographer
OldMaster
Must confess I could never get on with it. Always found the DxO idea of contrast,image sharpness and particularly noise reduction was at odds with virtually every other programme I use, and since PS now has lens the lens correction software I find DxO largely redundant?

As for filmic look, there are many other plug in options now..Imagenomics Real Grain, Perfect Suite, NIK software?

Posted 3 April 2014
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
OldMaster

Must confess I could never get on with it. Always found the DxO idea of contrast,image sharpness and particularly noise reduction was at odds with virtually every other programme I use, and since PS now has lens the lens correction software I find DxO largely redundant? As for filmic look, there are many other plug in options now..Imagenomics Real Grain, Perfect Suite, NIK software?

I wasn't talking about its looks/effects.

I'm referring to the radial fill pattern that DXO have opted to use as a background around your chosen image (which you can see above if you have a decent/calibrated monitor).  I find it really distracting personally and wondered if others think it's an awkward thing to have (plus I just wanted to rant about it)
Posted 3 April 2014
Pict
Photographer
Pict
Nope, not distracting

Posted 3 April 2014
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictu..
I've not seen this before, but would expect the halo thing to be distracting too. What possessed them to introduce a cartoony background when you're trying to concentrate on a picture is beyond me.

On another note, what is it, like a filters package thingy?

Posted 3 April 2014
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
profilepictures

On another note, what is it, like a filters package thingy?

I like it, many people don't for some reason.  I've owned every version which has meant upgrades are cheap for me but I love the quick/easy B&W conversions which IMO are the best out there (I'd say better/more convincing than Nik's Silver Efex).  99% of my B&W conversions are now done with it and you can add coloured filters or choose to ignore the grain (or even pinch grain from other film types).  It does also do colour conversions as well but they're generally not to my taste so only use it for B&W.
Posted 3 April 2014
Edited by RedChecker 3 April 2014
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join