External hard drives

6 posts
29 March 2014
makoimaging
Photographer
makoimaging
Hi all, I've been backing up my shoots on external hard drives. Recently, I've had a problem that the hard drive plug socket (not the USB plug, the female socket on the drive itself), has fallen out and I can't access the drives at all. This has happened, unbelievably, to TWO of my external drives within three days!!!

How do I access the drives now? Can they be repaired WITHOUT losing all my information? Local computer shop or where do I send them?

Very annoying problem but I'd appreciate any advice please?

Pete
Posted 29 March 2014
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
If its just the power plug socket then yes it can be repaired quite easily by anyone capable of some basic electrical work or just by opening the case and reseating the socket.

Posted 29 March 2014
Edited by HowardJ 29 March 2014
oscar
Photographer
oscar
If you can't fix them strip them down to the hard drive and buy a docking station.
Then you just put the hard drive into the docking station when you want to use it.

Posted 29 March 2014
modjo30
Photographer
modjo30
Just buy a new hard drive caddy, remove the hard drive from the broken case and install into the new case, or if you have a desktop computer, just connect the hard drive to that using the sata cable, faster transfer than usb that way anyway

Posted 29 March 2014
makoimaging
Photographer
makoimaging
Many thanks guys.

Posted 29 March 2014
Andy_B
Photographer
Andy_B
What brand were these? Useful to know / avoid!

Posted 29 March 2014
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join