Moorlane
Photographer
Moorlane
Does anyone know what this means please? Thanks

Posted 25 March 2014
lesmcluckie
Photographer
lesmcluckie
could be the lens contacts give them a clean and re-attatch this happened to me on my 40D
Posted 25 March 2014
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
I seem to remember its a catch all message and could be any number of things.

Posted 25 March 2014
mph
Photographer
mph
HowardJ

I seem to remember its a catch all message and could be any number of things.

+1

Posted 25 March 2014
Moorlane
Photographer
Moorlane
Thanks everyone- some things for me to try there

Posted 25 March 2014
Bill_M
Photographer
Bill_M
My first Canon DSLR was a 300D. I used to get "error 99" if I tried to use my old Sigma lenses which had worked well with my film Canons. I believe it is "non specific errors, i.e.ones that do not fall into the usual categories, or Canon's way of saying "don't ask us, we don't know either."

Posted 25 March 2014
I used to get this error on my 40d.

I usually just took the batteries out and it worked again. Never figured out what it was.

Posted 25 March 2014
Liteangle
Photographer
Liteangle
I had something similar once. Perhaps the processor has locked up. I would remove the battery and leave the camera for a minute or two. Then put it back it see if it makes a difference.

Posted 25 March 2014
Bill_M
Photographer
Bill_M
Liteangle
I had something similar once. Perhaps the processor has locked up. I would remove the battery and leave the camera for a minute or two. Then put it back it see if it makes a difference.
That was the cure with my 300D.
Posted 25 March 2014
CSD_Images
Photographer
CSD_Images
Here's a useful link about Error 99:

http://lensblogger.typepad.com/lensblogger/2009/01/canons-err-99.html

Posted 26 March 2014
riddell
Photographer
riddell

Its often contacts need cleaning as someone else said, but its also a 'catch all' as someone else said.

Not a very useful message. I had it recently when the shutter failed on my camera.

Posted 26 March 2014
MG
Photographer
MG
I think error 99 means search down the purestorm forums and find another 40d for sale that doesnt hve any errors Just kidding, hope you get it sorted. whenever i have had error 99 it generally means Canon is telling you an error but has no idea what error
Posted 26 March 2014
anthonyh
Photographer
anthonyh
Someone is selling a 40D on here at a good price....in your situation I would think about buying it. If you fix your camera yourself you have another decent back-up.....if not, you have another 40D at a price that is possibly not much more than the repair bill for your current body......and this one has a Canon grip included!

Posted 26 March 2014
cliffc
Photographer
cliffc

Hi Am not sure if it is the same model, But I came across this several months ago it could be a design fault with the camera. You cant shoot quick it is because it stacks the images up and needs time to read them.so you have to wait until the camera can do this, It needs to go back to cannon, before you do this contact cannon. If you are still under guarantee I was told cannon will sort out. I got this information from a shop in London who deals mainly with cannon cameras. Hope it helps Cliff

Posted 27 March 2014
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join