Female friendship?

Female friendship?

14 posts
25 March 2014
OldMaster
Photographer
OldMaster
We will all probably be aware of the tragic acid attack on a young lady by her "friend" who has now been appropriately sentenced.

So this is probably a question by a male who doesn't understand aspects of this tragic event and would be interested in starting a forum discussion on "female friendships", discussed please, by females!!

A female "expert" on the radio yesterday was saying that a female freindship with another female had depths that the male often fails to understand? Obviously true or a lack of understanding of male "bonding"?  What baffled me, from the victims own emotional response was how her "friend" apparently did nothing but be jealous of her, belittle her, do everything she could to upset and bring her down whenever possible whilst still obviously expect and indeed succeed in being considered  a "friend"....

It would probably be true to say that the majority of males would react very diffferently..either upon discovering treachery, either "smack them one" or curtail the friendship with a sharp rebuke and tell them to "sod off" in no uncertain terms...

So why would cleary some ladies be comfortable in an abusive relationship with other women. We know many of the reasons why they often find it hard to tear themselves away from an abusive relationship with a male but with another female?

I am sure it is "deep" and complicated, might involve own personal family background and a multitude of other factors, etc but the "expert" was sure the nature of female friendships was very different to male..how different?

Just asking...a bit baffled?! 
Posted 25 March 2014
Edited by OldMaster 25 March 2014
mph
Photographer
mph
I am baffled enough that anybody could do that - even to a stranger!

Posted 25 March 2014
OldMaster
Photographer
OldMaster
Only a comment from a male! We have always been told how good women are at talking about emotions and feelings? Perhaps the lack of comments so far tells its own story? Some insight from the ladies would be very welcome?

Posted 25 March 2014
Socialdisaster
Photographer
Socialdisast..
Maybe they "don't like" how "you" "slag off" Maja Stina on your "portfolio" and so "don't want" to be "involved" with your "views"
Posted 25 March 2014
I don't understand why this is a "female" thing, it's seems to be an "unusual" thing and not representative of any friendships I've observed regardless of gender of the participants.

Posted 25 March 2014
Chosin
Model
Chosin
JadedRed

I don't understand why this is a "female" thing, it's seems to be an "unusual" thing and not representative of any friendships I've observed regardless of gender of the participants.

+ 1
Posted 25 March 2014
jes
Model
jes
I don't think this incident can be used to discuss female relationships, or any other kind, as the person involved is clearly a lunatic and so completely irrelevant to anything related to normal society.

Posted 25 March 2014
HMansfield
Photographer
HMansfield
Socialdisaster
Maybe they "don't like" how "you" "slag off" Maja Stina on your "portfolio" and so "don't want" to be "involved" with your "views"
My internal dialogue is having spasms trying to incorporate all those quotation marks.
Posted 26 March 2014
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
JadedRed

It's probably to do with the age old belief that women can be 'bitchy' (obviously a gender oriented term).

I can only assume he's never seen (male) photgraphers squabble/bicker.
Posted 26 March 2014
OldMaster
Photographer
OldMaster
May be Social Disaster if you had been lied to and "pissed" around like I had with no recourse you might have felt tempted to mention it on your page? PS fails badly here in that someone can post a negative based on false premises without there being a requirement for burden of proof. Google her, I am not alone!!! Anyway it has nothing to do with the post! As for Jes's post, may she didn't read the body of my text. This was not about the victim but more in reference to the phsychiatrist who made the comments about the nature of female friendships compared to males. As usual it appears to be mostly males who have commented
Posted 26 March 2014
jes
Model
jes
I did read the body of your text, and stand by my opinion.

Posted 26 March 2014
Sdeve
Photographer
Sdeve
In my 64 years I have seen far too often women who will submit to foul behaviour from partners, friends, and relatives, in particular their mothers. While there will certainly be men who suffer likewise, in my experience the majority of people I have encountered with such lifestyles are females. I'm damned if I know why this is so, but it seems to me to be the case. I am minded to remember that in societies where female genital mutilation is the norm, it is mostly the mothers of girl children who will make every effort to see that the operation is carried out on their daughters.

I have certainly seen, both in my personal life and professionally, many women who have had their self worth utterly destroyed by their mothers of all people. Certainly far more than males damaged by one or both of their parents. I've seen it, but I'm damned if I understand it.

Posted 27 March 2014
Nick_Edinburgh
Photographer
Nick_Edinbur..
Is it just me that detects a whiff of misogyny in the way this question is framed?

It sounds a little if it's feeding a prejudice that this extreme incident might in some way reveal something significant and deep-seated in The Female character.

To me that's distasteful, at best.

(Oh, and sorry, but ******** to only women being "allowed" to answer...)
Posted 29 March 2014
Edited by Nick_Edinburgh 29 March 2014
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictu..
I think the independent expert was also waffly and boring.

Posted 29 March 2014
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join