Studio rules?

13 posts
24 March 2014
nikondave
Photographer
nikondave
Hi All
       I'm asking what rules the people with studios run their group sessions to.
I recently decided to make a photographer aware that I wasn't happy with his behavoir, he agreed to work as I said, then in the last 10 minutes of another group did exactly the same thing. I have told him that he isn't welcome on my events or in my studio, I know I have done the right thing.

No names will be given out. But what rules do other studios go by. Its my studio and my business, my name on the lease etc, so is it a case of what I say goes ?
Posted 24 March 2014
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
You don't have to name names but it would be nice to know what he did and thereby will allow others to comment on whether his behaviour is tolerated (and perhaps others can comment on other behaviour that annoyed them and how they dealt with it).
Posted 24 March 2014
davidhibberd
Photographer
davidhibberd
nikondave

Its my studio and my business, my name on the lease etc, so is it a case of what I say goes ?

Absolutely.  Presumably your rules are known to the users, are sensible and your approach to the photographer was courteous and tactful.

Posted 24 March 2014
OldMaster
Photographer
OldMaster
..."I have told him that he isn't welcome on my events or in my studio, I know I have done the right thing"

Well, that's it then, isn't it?

You gave the offender a warning, it is your studio, they are your rules and I suspect the culprit also trampled on the sensibilities of both the model and other togs who were looking for a relaxing and fun experience.

Sadly boorish selfish behaviour is not exclusive to photo studio events and I expect you will find he feels that he has this right to behave in this way in all kinds of other circumstances!!

Posted 24 March 2014
Edited by OldMaster 24 March 2014
marksilvester
Photographer
marksilveste..
I run tuitions at my studio, if any one asks a model to pose above the level of the tuition e.g. tasteful art nude, then I just step in and say thats not an appropriate pose try this…

If they persist a quite word but they are removed from the mailing list.

I also prefer not to advertise on model sites like these but have built up a client list from the other tuitions I have run so the vast majority of photographers are known to me. That helps avoid the strangers who are perhaps there for the wrong reason. Nothing against PS or PP or the others but I prefer to build my own client base.

Posted 25 March 2014
arkady001
Photographer
arkady001
My studio, my rules. No idea what occasioned the OPs post, but any behaviour I deem inappropriate I will speak to the individiual and if steps are not taken to moderate the behaviour they will be ejected - and that includes being a soap-dodger as we had on one recent workshop (and this was the model, not one of the photographers!)
Posted 25 March 2014
Bill_M
Photographer
Bill_M
Its simple, it's your studio, you're the boss, you make the rules, if they don't like them let them find another one (before getting kicked out of it too!)

Posted 30 March 2014
MikeBee
Photographer
MikeBee
David, You'll think who ever is involved would know better and know how to show respect. Once that seed of rot is set as with everything it can wreck everybody's day. Why does anybody feel everybody should be treated as children and issue rules, warnings in this life. Next thing people would say .. Well you never told me so how was I to know? However, we all do have times when events can get out of hand and it's best you then a offer a broadside warning and see if it's taken seriously and then make your move. Control is the name of the game here, people by their own nature need boundaries so make sure there clear. Mike
Posted 31 March 2014
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
I still say it would be nice to know what this guy did that provoked this thread. Just sayin'

Posted 31 March 2014
nikondave
Photographer
nikondave
This was a group shoot, the model is very well known and experienced, he had been warned over this previously, and agreed he would just take his pictures.

1) pushing levels, then argueing with the model, he thinks it was good natured banter I did not
2) unprofessional and lewd comments to the model

he also did something else which I am not posting publicly.

I had also had other photographers say they would not attend any shoot that he was booked on !

Posted 31 March 2014
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Sadly lewd comments, and inapropriate banter seem to be very common among photographers, particularly of the ~50s age group (perhaps they're the age group that were 'moulded' by watching the likes of Benny Hill & Carry On programmes in their heyday).
Posted 31 March 2014
MikeBee
Photographer
MikeBee
nikondave
This was a group shoot, the model is very well known and experienced, he had been warned over this previously, and agreed he would just take his pictures. 1) pushing levels, then argueing with the model, he thinks it was good natured banter I did not 2) unprofessional and lewd comments to the model he also did something else which I am not posting publicly. I had also had other photographers say they would not attend any shoot that he was booked on !
David, Sounds as if you ended up between a rock and a hard place...If he stayed it would of been a can of worms for all..Never easy, life's rich tapestries.. Still, you know he will not be back.
Posted 31 March 2014
arkady001
Photographer
arkady001
RedChecker

Sadly lewd comments, and inapropriate banter seem to be very common among photographers, particularly of the ~50s age group (perhaps they're the age group that were 'moulded' by watching the likes of Benny Hill & Carry On programmes in their heyday).

I've noticed that as well, but since I'm 51, it's not a universal trait...
Then again, I always thought Benny Hill was about as funny as a Train Crash and apart from Carry On Up The Khyber, the less said about that cinematic franchise, the better...

Posted 31 March 2014
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join