Softboxes for Elinchrom ranger Q

Softboxes for Elinchrom ranger Q

18 posts
17 March 2014
eosfan
Photographer
eosfan
Hi all,
I'm just about to take the plunge and buy a set of portable lights - Elinchrom Ranger Quadra Lithium 'A' heads and want to get any other bits and pieces at the same time, so I'm ready to shoot straight away, so question is - which soft boxes/umbrellas do those of you who have these lights, use as a general rule? Up to now, I have mostly used Lastolite Umbrellaboxes with my Profoto Compact 600s, but guess they are too big/heavy for the Elinchrom.

Any other essential purchases/tips/hints etc on using and owning these lights would be appreciated.

Dave

Posted 17 March 2014
magpie1
Photographer
magpie1
There are a couple of dedicated Ranger soft boxes, a 40x40 cm and a 56cm octa, both directly fit the ranger head the octa is better for me as you can also use it as a beauty dish, I have the deflector set as well.
I have an Elinchrom EL adaptor, for the Quadra, which is good for larger soft boxes as the adaptor takes the 'strain' and good for larger umbrellas.

Posted 17 March 2014
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
The 90cm (I think) Elinchrom Octa produces a lovely light with the Ranger Quadra.

Posted 17 March 2014
Gerry99111
Photographer
Gerry99111
I use them with the EL adapter and Rotolux softboxes.

For outdoor location work, I often take just 1 head, with the Wilson cap to protect the tube, the EL adapter, 1 nano stand, and the Rotolux 75 cm deep octa softbox.

I can then get the camera, battery, lead, head and sundries in a small rucksack and the nano stand, softbox and EL adapter in the Rotolux bag. I then can move around very easily and don't stand out when walking with the model to locations.

If you are shooting outdoor nudes in public, and want to use flash, you really should use a softbox and the rotolux are the only things that can open and shut like an umbrella and need no assembly.

If I was going to use them in a more controlled environment, any of my rotoluxes will work with the exception of the heavier strip light with its grid fitted

Posted 17 March 2014
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
Gerry99111
I use them with the EL adapter and Rotolux softboxes.
+1 I'm trying out the westcox double fold umbrellas for location work.
Posted 17 March 2014
Edited by HowardJ 17 March 2014
CSD_Images
Photographer
CSD_Images
Another modifier I like using is the Varistar umbrella softbox (or one of many knock offs). Great for quick lighting a location. However most times I'll stick to either the Octa Deep or the hard light of the head as I prefer the lighting.

Posted 18 March 2014
pvfb
Photographer
pvfb
The Elinchrom 66x66cm Portalite softbox (the cheap one that comes in the kits) is light enough, with care, to fit on a Quadra head directly (ie not using the adaptor) if you substitute the standard aluminium speedring for the Quadra (white plastic) speedring from the aforementioned Quadra 40x40cm (they used to be available as spare part).

I use both, sharing the speedring as necessary, the 40x40 is quite handy and small enough from a windage point of view to use outside, whilst the 60x60 is fine indoors as being so light (no internal baffle) the Quadra's lightweight tilt lock is perfectly happy which is more than can be said for some of the 3rd party other Quadra direct fits.

Posted 18 March 2014
Edited by pvfb 18 March 2014
eosfan
Photographer
eosfan
Thanks everyone for all the useful tips etc. I should be picking up the lights next Tuesday and shooting ASAP thereafter.

Posted 18 March 2014
Rawandthecooked
Photographer
Rawandthecooked
Lastolite make a quadra adaptor, i have one for a hotrod strip soft box, which I also use with speed lights. I assume they also work with some of their other soft boxes!

Posted 18 March 2014
Claypaws
Photographer
Claypaws
pvfb
The Elinchrom 66x66cm Portalite softbox (the cheap one that comes in the kits) is light enough, with care, to fit on a Quadra head directly (ie not using the adaptor) if you substitute the standard aluminium speedring for the Quadra (white plastic) speedring from the aforementioned Quadra 40x40cm (they used to be available as spare part).
If you (the OP) wish to go down this route, I have a pair of those softboxes for sale including the standard white speedrings (i.e. the ones that come with the Portalites), never used. If you are interested, please PM me. I cannot comment on their suitability as I never use softboxes at all.
Posted 19 March 2014
eosfan
Photographer
eosfan
Well I've now got the Quadra lights, after a week it has stopped raining so shooting can begin - but I have one more question….

The honeycomb grid attachment comes in 20 and 30 degree versions, yet the 20 degree is not far off twice the price of the 30 degree. I understand the physical difference between them but would appreciate views on which one is the most useful / best one to buy (initially at least).

Thanks

Dave

Posted 8 April 2014
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
eosfan
Well I've now got the Quadra lights, after a week it has stopped raining so shooting can begin - but I have one more question…. The honeycomb grid attachment comes in 20 and 30 degree versions, yet the 20 degree is not far off twice the price of the 30 degree. I understand the physical difference between them but would appreciate views on which one is the most useful / best one to buy (initially at least). Thanks Dave
Have you got the Elinchrom wide reflector for holding the grids?
Posted 8 April 2014
eosfan
Photographer
eosfan
Hi Howard, not yet but will probably pick that up this week

Posted 8 April 2014
magpie1
Photographer
magpie1
one of the reasons for the price differential is that there is quite a lot more metal and folding involved making the finer, 20 degree honeycomb. if you are going to be using it as a fill or conversely main/highlight outdoors, I think the more gradual spread and cut off of the 30 would be the best to start with.

Posted 8 April 2014
pvfb
Photographer
pvfb
I assume you (like me) have the offical Elinchrom solution, a native 18cm reflector, Eli supply 12, 20 & 30, the later being the cheapest.

However 18cm = 7" which is quite common size... Calumet do 20, 30 & 40, I have 20s & 40s, which work fine, my 30s being Eli having arrived in a deal with the reflectors.

The grids in the Calumet ones seem a little more robust than the Eli, however if you want a 12 there seems little choice than Eli, ouch! ... try a Calumet 20 and some cinefoil, not quite the same but depending on what you want may do the trick at a saving of over £40.

Posted 8 April 2014
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join