Getting into commercial modeling

Getting into commercial modeling

17 posts
13 March 2014
Hi I'm new to the model industry and need advise on how to get paid commercial work, can someone help please.

Posted 13 March 2014
Edited by Sammybby93 13 March 2014
iamge
Photographer
iamge
I don't want to sound harsh but you aren't built like a catalogue model so will struggle to get on anyone's books. Only thing I can suggest is some direct marketing of yourself to web based retail companies but I've got a feeling it's going to be hard work to get one company interested never mind enough for you to make much money.

Posted 13 March 2014
Perhaps google some agencies and send off some pictures? I only ever applied to one agency and they tore me to shreds but that was a glamour one years & years ago and I've done alright for my self since however I definitely don't do catalogue modelling so don't have much advice there sorry. Agencies are definitely your best bet tho
Posted 14 March 2014
Keltica
Photographer
Keltica
Your too wee

Posted 14 March 2014
xtiggerx
Photographer
xtiggerx
Well theirs nothing like good CONSTRUCTIVE replies......."Your too wee"..... I dont think she was referring to catwalk 'commercial' modelling.....
Posted 14 March 2014
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Keltica

Your too wee

* You're
Posted 14 March 2014
xtiggerx
Photographer
xtiggerx
think its the scottish spelling......
Posted 14 March 2014
xtiggerx
Photographer
xtiggerx
mmmmm,,,maybe i shouldnt have put that...oops
Posted 14 March 2014
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
xtiggerx

mmmmm,,,maybe i shouldnt have put that...oops

I dunno, you could have mentioned is that the Yiddish spelling, since Scott's banged on about Judaism (and dislike of Christians) in the past.
Posted 14 March 2014
Bob
Photographer
Bob
Sammybby93

need advise on how to get paid commercial work

Primarily two things will affect your chances of gaining paid work:-
1] The type of modelling you are willing to do and
2] Your suitability for the work type you are interested in.

Click this link and check out the statistics and work preferences of the models with most recommendations in your area - if you can find a match for both it should give you some idea what route you would need to go down to get paid work.

Bob

Posted 14 March 2014
JeromeRazoir
Photographer
JeromeRazoir
The harsh facts of life are that in clothing modelling, the clothes are made before the model is booked. If the model does not fit the clothes: the model does not get the job. No arguments. No appeal. Just no job.

If you want to go into other commercial modelling then the way to get an agency signing is to put together a very small, very simple portfolio AND BASH THE PAVEMENTS WITH YOUR SHOE LEATHER. Again and again and again.........

You are the very best You there will ever be. Do NOT try to be the next Kate Moss, Jean Shrimpton, Twiggy, Nellie the Elephant. They got there first and they are always going to be better at it. They will never be as good at being You as You are. Exploit that.

Apply for castings. Lots of castings but BE SENSIBLE. If the job is for a skinny, six-foot blond you are not going to get it. Just as, you are not going to get it if they need a baby, a bloke, a sumo wrestler or a carrot.

In cold-calling selling about 10% of callsget a sale. In modelling the odds are worse. You HAVE to do the 95% failed calls to get the 5% good results.

For the vast majority of models, it is not earning a huge hourly rate or being the Face of Lancome, or whatever. It is about working hard. Damn hard, day after day after day.

If you are put off by any of this, you ain't got the bottle. If you are NOT put off by this then you ain't got the intelligence. If you read and understand all of that and still want to give it a damn hard go and are prepared to take on a long hard fight, then you just might have both and just might make it. If you DO make it, then you deserve all the success you get and then some.

Good luck.
Posted 14 March 2014
arkady001
Photographer
arkady001
JeromeRazoir

The harsh facts of life are that in clothing modelling, the clothes are made before the model is booked. If the model does not fit the clothes: the model does not get the job. No arguments. No appeal. Just no job.

If you want to go into other commercial modelling then the way to get an agency signing is to put together a very small, very simple portfolio AND BASH THE PAVEMENTS WITH YOUR SHOE LEATHER. Again and again and again.........

You are the very best You there will ever be. Do NOT try to be the next Kate Moss, Jean Shrimpton, Twiggy, Nellie the Elephant. They got there first and they are always going to be better at it. They will never be as good at being You as You are. Exploit that.

Apply for castings. Lots of castings but BE SENSIBLE. If the job is for a skinny, six-foot blond you are not going to get it. Just as, you are not going to get it if they need a baby, a bloke, a sumo wrestler or a carrot.

In cold-calling selling about 10% of callsget a sale. In modelling the odds are worse. You HAVE to do the 95% failed calls to get the 5% good results.

For the vast majority of models, it is not earning a huge hourly rate or being the Face of Lancome, or whatever. It is about working hard. Damn hard, day after day after day.

If you are put off by any of this, you ain't got the bottle. If you are NOT put off by this then you ain't got the intelligence. If you read and understand all of that and still want to give it a damn hard go and are prepared to take on a long hard fight, then you just might have both and just might make it. If you DO make it, then you deserve all the success you get and then some.

Good luck.

Yep. Pretty much this.
At your levels, you're not going to make a killing as an internet model considering the competition you're up against... do a search for models in your area. THAT's your competition.
Posted 27 March 2014
kgp
Photographer
kgp
jessicard

Perhaps google some agencies and send off some pictures? I only ever applied to one agency and they tore me to shreds but that was a glamour one years & years ago and I've done alright for my self since however I definitely don't do catalogue modelling so don't have much advice there sorry. Agencies are definitely your best bet tho

I have been in this biz for over 40 years and this is sound advice, look for an agency who supplies models to the advertising industry, you won't have problems of size check out Alba Models, it's full of information and used by professinal models. good luck 
Posted 28 March 2014
Keltica
Photographer
Keltica
http://www.albamodel.info/

Posted 28 March 2014
jes
Model
jes
Just goes to show that the majority of people who replied didn't even read the title!  The OP asked about commercial modelling, not fashion, not catalogue!  I've done quite a bit of commercial work and they need people of varying ages and sizes.  I get most of my commercial work through a casting agency in my region, and have also done ok through sites such as this one.

Posted 28 March 2014
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join