Photographer
HowardJ
US stores all closed.

UK stores will continue as normal.

Posted 13 March 2014
OldMaster
Photographer
OldMaster
For now? Another victim of internet shopping or just not competitive pricing?

My only experience is the Drummond Street branch where the staff are helpful, stock levels good and a wide range of professional lighting and studio equipment. Also one of the few hire centres offering a full range of top pro kit.

Lets hope they can prevail?

Posted 13 March 2014
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
I guess they're a victim of internet shopping. They started in the US and moved over here. I wonder if they're planning to sell the UK branches as a going concern and put the money into the US branches.

Posted 13 March 2014
kenf
Photographer
kenf
The Birmingham branch is always helpful and seems to be busy with orders to be delivered...

Posted 13 March 2014
Skid2
Photographer
Skid2
I use Manchester and occasionally Drummond street they are both excellent. Luckily the UK arm is run totally separate which is good news.

Posted 14 March 2014
JeromeRazoir
Photographer
JeromeRazoir
Also a Calumet fan. Their predecessors were complete idiots but Calumet are great.
Lets hear it for the Bristol branch. Easy free parking and often a coffee and even a danish!

Posted 14 March 2014
Toxicimaging
Photographer
Toxicimaging
They shut my local Nottingham store a while ago and they were always good, was handy to go look at new stuff and they did have some deals now and then.

Posted 15 March 2014
redbaron
Photographer
redbaron
Toxicimaging

They shut my local Nottingham store a while ago and they were always good, was handy to go look at new stuff and they did have some deals now and then.

That alas is the snag. People go and look at the stuff, pump the staff for information and advice....Then go and buy from the cheapest grey importer they can find. Often followed by a long online rant when the product goes wrong  and the reputable suppliers they spurned don't want to know about sorting it for them.

Posted 15 March 2014
KevinJS
Photographer
KevinJS
Service and pricing at Drummond Street excellent, second hand dept also very good. It is a bit like the Mediu, Format/Second Hand Department at Jessops New World Centre on Oxford Street in the old days

Calumet staff all helpful, knowledgeable will be a shame if the close
Posted 15 March 2014
Toxicimaging
Photographer
Toxicimaging
redbaron
That alas is the snag. People go and look at the stuff, pump the staff for information and advice....Then go and buy from the cheapest grey importer they can find. Often followed by a long online rant when the product goes wrong  and the reputable suppliers they spurned don't want to know about sorting it for them.
Yes I agree, however I bought all my studio gear from them, Bowens, autopoles, superclamps, paper backgrounds etc, it was handy as it was only 10 mins from the studio but now my nearest one is Birmingham which is just too far to travel.. So like the majority I now shop online.
Posted 15 March 2014
AegeanSoft
Photographer
AegeanSoft
I had excellent service for Calumet in Leeds when I bought my Bowens 500c set. Very friendly and sorted out out a bent reflector and non-working radio trigger by return of post. Excellent company.

Posted 15 March 2014
Graham_P
Photographer
Graham_P
AegeanSoft

I had excellent service for Calumet in Leeds when I bought my Bowens 500c set. Very friendly and sorted out out a bent reflector and non-working radio trigger by return of post. Excellent company.

when did they have a place in Leeds?
Posted 16 March 2014
MikeBee
Photographer
MikeBee
Pelling and Cross , Keith Johnson and now Calumet to name only a few.

Who's to blame?

Us....

Posted 18 March 2014
Bill_M
Photographer
Bill_M
More worrying, their UK website has disappeared today.

Posted 14 May 2014
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
It's been down a few days now (UK), although they're still advertising training courses on their FB/Twitter feeds/pages.

Posted 14 May 2014
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join