Helmut Newton on BBC4 later...

Helmut Newton on BBC4 later...

17 posts
13 March 2014
anthonyh
Photographer
anthonyh

;"> http://www.radiotimes.com/episode/ctjbsz/helmut-by-june

;"> This guy was cutting edge back in the day so probably well worth watching.

Posted 13 March 2014
Edited by anthonyh 13 March 2014
anthonyh
Photographer
anthonyh
Cutting and pasting didn't seem to work here.....
Posted 13 March 2014
cziiki
Photographer
cziiki
the link works tho. he's not that long gone!!!

Posted 13 March 2014
OldMaster
Photographer
OldMaster
Thanks for the heads up.

In some ways he set a different standard, ravaged by feminists but actually celebrated the female in a lot of his work. One of the first "mainstream" fetish photographers.

He seemed to have the knack of getting female celebrities to take their clothes off..because they wanted to for him. Worked substantially in New York hotel rooms, replacing the bulbs with photofloods and shooting B&W on his Rolleiflex TLR..(another fan along with Bailey)

In fact Rollei created a Helmut Newton Rolleiflex 2.8f edition in his honour. Costs a bob or two now if you find one!

My only claim to fame is that I used the urinal next to him at the Barbican Centre for one of his exhibitions..back in the 90's I guess
Posted 13 March 2014
Edited by OldMaster 13 March 2014
anthonyh
Photographer
anthonyh
OldMaster

My only claim to fame is that I used the urinal next to him at the Barbican Centre for one of his exhibitions..back in the 90's I guess

Dine out on that one.....I would....surprise

...I did know...vaguely...Bob Carlos Clarke....same college stuff......
Posted 13 March 2014
psn
Photographer
psn
Thanks for the prompt Anthony, set to record, appreciate you wanting to share the opportunity to see this.

Posted 13 March 2014
OldMaster
Photographer
OldMaster
Still time to watch this on catch up! A must watch really! We can all learn from his style....keep the technical as simple as possible and focus on the picture itself. Its a working style I have always tried to emulate where possible....forget fancy lighting, posing your model like they are a Victorian garden sculpture and please stop sticking little coloured things to faces!!! Easy with digital to snap away but a lot of his success comes from imagining a narrative and then illustrating it in as simple a way as possible and knowing when he has his picture. Go on...change or modify the way you work....go to Bailey and watch Newton
Posted 16 March 2014
anthonyh
Photographer
anthonyh
There is another photographer worth watching on iplayer....Albert Watson. I found him by accident in the 'what do artists do all day' series. He has some seriously expensive gear....unlike the stuff Bailey and Newton seem to get by with....

Posted 17 March 2014
OldMaster
Photographer
OldMaster
Unlike the stuff Bailey....etc. They both used the pinnacle of optical and mechanical engineering!! Hasselblad V series and the peerless Rolleiflex 2.8f, probably the sharpest lenses ever made...the Zeiss Planar or optics by Schneider, renowned for their large format lenses!

Possibly why Newton had some of his prints wall size!

Film at these format sizes and optically printed can show most digital formats a clean pair of heals! Just have to see the print quality at the Bailey exhibition. I was privileged enough to own both these cameras, as well as Linhof and can vouch for their exceptional quality. Apart from anything else with 12...or even 8 frames to a roll of film you really had to think about every picture!

A Rollei 2.8f in excellent condition, and still some 50 years old will still fetch in excess of £1000!

Posted 17 March 2014
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
OldMaster
Unlike the stuff Bailey....etc. They both used the pinnacle of optical and mechanical engineering!! Hasselblad V series and the peerless Rolleiflex 2.8f, probably the sharpest lenses ever made...the Zeiss Planar or optics by Schneider, renowned for their large format lenses! Possibly why Newton had some of his prints wall size! Film at these format sizes and optically printed can show most digital formats a clean pair of heals! Just have to see the print quality at the Bailey exhibition. I was privileged enough to own both these cameras, as well as Linhof and can vouch for their exceptional quality. Apart from anything else with 12...or even 8 frames to a roll of film you really had to think about every picture! A Rollei 2.8f in excellent condition, and still some 50 years old will still fetch in excess of £1000!
They both used a wide range of cameras - if you go to the Helmut Newton Gallery/Museum in Berlin you can see many of the ones he used over the years (and the film by June is also shown on permanent loop).
Posted 17 March 2014
anthonyh
Photographer
anthonyh
The use of film gear was the point I was getting at ......the price of even top quality MF film gear is still cheap compared with some of the digital prices....and I'm not talking high end digital pro gear here either.
Posted 17 March 2014
anthonyh
Photographer
anthonyh
The Albert Watson documentary is worth watching for several reasons....one that I found interesting was that he was stitching images together to get the resolution he wanted despite shooting with a digital MF back...

Posted 17 March 2014
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
anthonyh

The Albert Watson documentary is worth watching for several reasons....one that I found interesting was that he was stitching images together to get the resolution he wanted despite shooting with a digital MF back...

Digital MF resolution isn't that high (it's only ~4x that of 35mm digital).
Posted 17 March 2014
OldMaster
Photographer
OldMaster
Correct! Drum scanned 6x6 at 4000ppi (typically highest res. for film to avoid just "scanning the grain) would give you a 8500 x 8500 file = equivalent of 72.25mp (working on real mf dimensions of 54mm x54mm).

This would result in an 8 bit TIFF of 216.75mb but it would cost you around £70 per scan if you had it done commercially.

They also shot 5"x4" and Bailey certainly 10"x8" which is pretty much off the scale! 5x4 (scanned at 4000dpi) = equivalent of 320mp or 960mb file as a 8 bit TIFF, 1.9Gb as a 16 bit!! This would produce a print size of 80" x 64" if printed at 250ppi...

Nowt wrong with film, its just much more expensive if you take into account "per shot" + process and that a decent scanner can cost more than any MF digital camera. You could print optically if you could find someone!

Digital is great of course, very convenient and capable of superb quality...but high quality DSLR's now cost much less than my 35mm Nikon F100 which retailed for £1100 body only nigh on 20 years ago, a new Blad 500CM was around £2000 and my Linhof 6x9 (if I could ever have afforded a new one was new around £5000!!). The Rolleiflex 2.8f, 50 years old, can still be had from £800 upwards for a decent one. Take into account the Rolleiflex finished in the mid 60's I believe and the 500cm's must be at least 30 years old now as they changed to 501's,etc..so we must compare like with like!

I hear you say but the Nikon D4s is £4k+..sure but it doesn't take higher quality pictures than the entry level £600 Nikon which also have higher res at 24mp as long as you use the same high quality optics on both?

And bear in mind even top quality glass is really pushed to perform to the corners of even a FF digital sensor with much more even performance on film.

How much will any digital camera be worth in 50 years..and how many will still be working? My 'Blad was over 20 years old when I sold it, the finish on it was like new and it hadn't dropped a frame in all that time? During that period I was shooting weddings every weekend.

I rest my case
Posted 17 March 2014
Edited by OldMaster 17 March 2014
anthonyh
Photographer
anthonyh
Of course no film equipment will be working in 50yrs if film production stops for any reason......
Posted 17 March 2014
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join