Lay flat photobook's ?

18 posts
13 March 2014
Iconic
Photographer
Iconic
so a potential customer messaged me via facebook asking about me photographing their reception, they state they want a photobook so i give them a quote and they are happy but then .. do you use lay flat photobooks?  i say what do you mean by lay flat (obviously now making myself sound like a retard) oh comes the response most ''professional'' photographers use lay flat photobooks as otherwise the image in the middle is un viewable

so my question is where do i get one made ?

thanks
Posted 13 March 2014
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
There were loads of these at the recent photoshow. It may be worth looking at their website for the exhibitors and subsequently go through all their websites.

Posted 13 March 2014
JuanMuino
Photographer
JuanMuino
Hello, Loxley do a book called Belissimo Infinity Coffee Table book...it's a little more expensive, but you can have an image span the entire spread without too much loss in the gutter.

Posted 13 March 2014
Iconic
Photographer
Iconic
is this a new thing out?

Posted 13 March 2014
Iconic
Photographer
Iconic
loxely colour psses me of you have to register to get a price :@
Posted 13 March 2014
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Iconic

loxely colour psses me of you have to register to get a price :@

+1

That said if you're going pro it shouldn't be a problem (IIRC they need some sort of proof you're a pro which is why I've personally never bothered looking at them)
Posted 13 March 2014
Iconic
Photographer
Iconic
who needs proof that your pro loxely colour ? :@
Posted 13 March 2014
JuanMuino
Photographer
JuanMuino
No, not a new thing as I've been using these for over two years.

Yes, Loxley are trade printers, so you will need to register to get further info. It is just a basic registration process.

Posted 13 March 2014
TheShinyOne
Photographer
TheShinyOne
Bobs Books offer a lay flat product, reasonably priced, on photographic paper - good quality.

Posted 13 March 2014
mph
Photographer
mph
Even people like Bonusprint do them.
Posted 13 March 2014
Tony_Parker
Photographer
Tony_Parker
I have used www.albelli.com

Posted 13 March 2014
FrameworksMedia
Photographer
FrameworksMe..
I use Graphistudio and Sim2000. You'll need to open an account and prove you're a pro to access both of them, but trade is around £200 for A4/40pages/std finishes. Lay flats have been around for as long as photobooks were invented, they just tend to be at the top end of the quality market. The dealers that supply pros don't publish their trade prices on the internet, else your customers would be moaning about you making a profit. Although if they did then most people would realise how expensive they are compared to the Bobs Books/Tescos pap.

Posted 14 March 2014
paule
Photographer
paule
Sim, Loxley, Colorworld.. all the aforementioned...

a very decent lower cost option I use is: Fuji Create...

http://www.fujifilmcreate.co.uk/asp/index.asp
Posted 14 March 2014
Edited by paule 14 March 2014
theperfectgentleman
Photographer
theperfectge..
Photobox. reasonably priced for the quality of book produced.

Posted 14 March 2014
FrameworksMedia
Photographer
FrameworksMe..
theperfectgentleman

Photobox. reasonably priced for the quality of book produced.

I wouldn't say they were reasonably priced. I would say they were cheap in both product and price compared to other companies offering products specifically for the wedding market.  From the limited information provided, it would not be unreasonable to assume the customer was after something of higher quality. However, there are people on a budget and sometimes that's all they are going to afford.

In this instance, it sounds like you may be fighting an uphill struggle to secure the booking without a portfolio of albums for the bride and groom to view. It may be worth getting some demo albums made to order.
Posted 15 March 2014
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join