conference photography rates ?

conference photography rates ?

21 posts
12 March 2014
photostore
Photographer
photostore
So, while i know there will be a wide range of prices for such things, what would be kinda average prices for a full day conference shoot (approx 200 + people, guests etc ) and a full day shoot, with slideshow of the day to finish. you know the type of thing, smiley expressions everywhere, all enjoying the days event 

Reason i ask is i have just completed 5 shoots over 8 days up and down the country for my employer (major company) this was during work hours but totally removed from my day job,
i appear to do a good job as it's the second year running and i now also get requests from the guest speakers to supply shots for promotional purposes for them as well, (so free promo shots) I used to do just the one venue, now it's expanded to five, anyway i have decided that unless i get paid commercial photography rates outwith my normal role next year then i will not be doing it, so whats a rough daily. hourly rate ?
They do have a budget for this as i covered 5 regional conferences between Scotland and southward to Hull, but the other areas of the country have always hired in photographers.( I dont have access to what the others were paid)
If they say no then at least it will be an opportunity for another photographer to earn from it.
Posted 12 March 2014
MG
Photographer
MG
£400 to £550 a day (around £50 per hour plus 50p mile travel)

Posted 12 March 2014
Darkstudent
Photographer
Darkstudent
50p per mile is a bit high, tends to go towards 28-35p / mile.

Posted 13 March 2014
FrameworksMedia
Photographer
FrameworksMedia
1) I would review your current terms and conditions of employment before invoicing, it will just put you on a stronger foothold.

2) they are not going to pay you commercial rates, which is why they are using you and not outsourcing - it's cheaper.

3) current HMRC guidelines for travel are 45p/mile if using your own car (not a company vehicle). You may want to check you T&C about being expected to travel within your line of work, although you could counter this with the fact that you may not be covered by your vehicle insurance.

4) If you know the dates required, it may be worth booking holidays now so that you are not on company time to make any negotiation easier.

Other than that you can make a figure up - it's open competition, although you do have a slight advantage as preferred photographer.

Posted 13 March 2014
kimphot
Photographer
kimphot
Why should you get commercial rates? You're not a professional. You're being paid your normal wage/salary. You're travel is being paid, your accommodation is being paid. Want commercial rates, chuck your job in (well paid is it?) and turn pro .............. then wish you hadn't because someone else will be doing to you (doing jobs on the cheap)what you are doing to current professionals. If I were you I'd suck it up and shut up! You're better off as you are.

Posted 21 March 2014
LaurenceJPower
Photographer
LaurenceJPower
kimphot

Why should you get commercial rates? You're not a professional. You're being paid your normal wage/salary. You're travel is being paid, your accommodation is being paid. Want commercial rates, chuck your job in (well paid is it?) and turn pro .............. then wish you hadn't because someone else will be doing to you (doing jobs on the cheap)what you are doing to current professionals. If I were you I'd suck it up and shut up! You're better off as you are.

Instead of complaining, why not encourage the guy to charge commerical rates, if he does then he comes up against you in terms of the quality of his work, if they still want him well the YOU need to up your game. I would add another couple of items, you comment about accomodation, sorry but I did not read about that being paid, and why give up the day job, why not have two, again if he has two but does not use one to subsidise the other, I see no problem.

Posted 21 March 2014
kimphot
Photographer
kimphot
If he's running around the country on his own wallet for the benefit of his company then he is a plonker!

I wasn't aware I was complaining, I asked a question, made an observation and offered advice.

You're saying he should get paid twice by his employer!

Posted 21 March 2014
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
kimphot
If he's running around the country on his own wallet for the benefit of his company then he is a plonker! I wasn't aware I was complaining, I asked a question, made an observation and offered advice. You're saying he should get paid twice by his employer!
Well you didn't answer his question (which had already been answered anyway), so it's difficult to see your comments in any other light than a moaning complaint that your livelihood is being ruined by people asking to be paid a commercial rate for photography (but then suggesting that he would be under-cutting you if he charged a commercial rate). You don't seem to understand how markets work - what people in this forum think should happen is totally irrelevant to the arrangements which a photographer and client may agree, or indeed what one party may bid or offer but the other refuse. [and where does he say that he's not getting his travel paid ?]
Posted 21 March 2014
Edited by stolenfaces 21 March 2014
photostore
Photographer
photostore
kimphot

And why mot ? whats it to do with you how many sources of income i have or want ? If you started working in my area of paid employment i would'nt really give a toss as i know i am damn good at what i do and you would not cause me a second thought, 

Once again we have a pro (same for most trades who thought 30 years ago no one could do their jobs) ) moaning presumably as he is being impacted by non pro's i'd guess
, i say to that, get a grip, step up, improve, retire or retrain if your worried about us amatuers impacting you !  if you were so amazing then us amatuers should be of no concern to you ? I'm guessing from your response here that your not going to be winning any professional awards for your work anytime soon.

As for me sucking it up...........i'm not the one moaning, i actually had a great time, despite it being a hard shift, was recognised for the commitment i made, and saw the impact of the slideshow at the end of each day on the faces of those who attended. Made me want to do more of it, and maybe offset some of the thousands i have spent on equipment for my hobby. (paid for from that well paid job i have cheeky)
Posted 21 March 2014
kimphot
Photographer
kimphot
Well if you don't want to do the job, tell me your company's name and I'll put in a quote. If you quote on a commercial basis you definitely won't undercut any quote I put forward. Just for discussion sake, what would you charge to travel from Fife to South Yorkshire and back, do a days shoot, time for post processing, presenting the images to the client, as an independant operator you'll need public liability insurance, minimum £2 million cover. You'll need to change your car insurance cover. You'll need to include meals, maybe suppled during the day but there's breakfast and evening meal. Are doing this job in one day or do you need two nights accommodation? Give a ball park figure that you think is a commercial rate for the job.

Posted 21 March 2014
photostore
Photographer
photostore
and the fact i wont undercut you says what about the quality of your service ? A quick google shows me no conference work that you have completed.

But ok, i'll play along.

Travel costs me nothing other than time, fuel is paid for by my company both for business and pleasure, so is the insurance, so does not require any change, i already pay tax on the use of the car.

post processing+ none required, if you read the posts you'd see i had to provide the shots for a slideshow at the end of the day, no time for processing-get it right in camera maybe ( the card was handed to a proffessional AV company who did the slideshow each and every day)

public liability to walk around with a camera can't be that much, i just got three million to allow me to walk around with a loaded weapon for next to nothing.

Meals: yes provided during the day, but whats to stop me from saying to the business, put me up-feed me, pay me travel as normal (actually i would travel in a business day as i do now)) and i'll only charge for my time actually shooting

I don't need to give a ball park figure for the job,for you to "undercut" me, the gig is already mine !
Whats your figure ? and where is the link to your conference work and i may well recommend you if your work is better than mine straight from camera, i'd hate to recommend someone who left us with no slideshow at the end of the day, you have insurance for that event though ?
Posted 21 March 2014
Edited by photostore 21 March 2014
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictures
You see, I'd be more convinced by all the professional indignation thing if I saw compelling evidence in a portfolio to suggest a real skill as a photographer. If I look, and see boring and old fashioned dross, I just can't take any of it very seriously.

Posted 22 March 2014
kimphot
Photographer
kimphot
Believe me I've never uncut anyone in my life. I don't "seek out" what others have quoted and cut my profits to suit.I quote what the job costs me, having taken into account all the many overheads that are needed to run a successful business. If that should be lower, then good. If a company asked me to make a 600 mile round trip, there's £300 for a start just for vehicle cost. It's not "just the petrol/diesel", there's wear and tear on the car, there's maintenance, there's road tax and insurance etc, etc.If you give all that to your company for free then so be it. My son-in-law runs around the country on behalf of a government department and receives £0.60 per mile for use of his car! I just wanted to know what you thought was a "commercial rate". It's obvious from your response that you're not seeing the real picture from a professional point of view. You say: ""Meals: yes provided during the day, but whats to stop me from saying to the business, put me up-feed me, pay me travel as normal (actually i would travel in a business day as i do now)) and i'll only charge for my time actually shooting"" Isn't that what I'm saying should be included in a commercial quote!!!!!!!!!!!!!? Apart from the fact that you don't think, what is it 10, 12 hours travel is worth a jot! I must admit I'm baffled how you can travel to South Yorkshire, do a days shooting and return to Scotland all in a working (8hr?)day. Profilepictures: There is no professional indignation, only your misinterpretation of what I'm saying. Oh! Thank you for your kind and rational comments, much appreciated.
Posted 22 March 2014
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictures
That caps fits snugly then? It's all very well wading in and dismissing people, throwing the 'professional' word around like it really means anything significant and suggesting you're own understanding is the only one that counts, but it isn't. The bloke asked a straight question, got some straight responses, and your high and mighty attempt to belittle him. On the strength of that I thought 'he must be pretty good, I'll go check our his work' and there I get the real story. All the talk, perhaps an income derived from it, but great photography? Nah, and that's what I notice first. Call it irrational of you like.

Posted 22 March 2014
kimphot
Photographer
kimphot
Mr profilepictures, I haven't belittled him, I haven't said his work is crap, I haven't looked at his work, I haven't mentioned his work. I asked why he thought he should be paid twice. To be perfectly honest if I was his employer and he came to me and said that his hobby was worth more money than his job with me (ie his employer who pays him a good wage/salary)then I'd say fine. I'd call up the wages dept and tell them to prepare his P45. His focus (get the pun!)is not on his job that I pay him for, so go and pursue the vocation that he rates above his current employment. I'm down your way tomorrow, Sunday, taking more poor pics, if you like I'll call in to see you if I have the time to spare.

How can I argue with a hobby tog who knows it all, after all 43 years experience means I'm still a beginner, learning the ropes, by the way, what is your full time job, I may be able to tell you how to do yours but good manners and common sense would stop me though...........or maybe not!!

Posted 22 March 2014
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join