Lighting in a car park

Lighting in a car park

11 posts
7 March 2014
samh1957
Photographer
samh1957
Hi folks ive got an upcoming model shoot in a car park and would like some lighting ideas please. The model, a blond, will be wearing just a black fish net body stocking which we will eventually rip. I want minimal gear with me so can move around a lot this means i'll just have one hand held off camera speed light. I'm thinking grungy stair wells, lift doors etc .

Any ideas?

Thanks

Posted 7 March 2014
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
Manfrotto nano with speedlight adapter and double fold brollies.

Or

Ringflash with portable battery pack. Not the most discreet piece of kit to carry around though.

You'll need an assistant or two at hand.

Posted 7 March 2014
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
HowardJ

You'll need an assistant or two at hand.

Why?
Posted 7 March 2014
RonA
Photographer
RonA
samh1957

Hi folks ive got an upcoming model shoot in a car park and would like some lighting ideas please. The model, a blond, will be wearing just a black fish net body stocking which we will eventually rip. I want minimal gear with me so can move around a lot this means i'll just have one hand held off camera speed light. I'm thinking grungy stair wells, lift doors etc . Any ideas? Thanks

Seee my response to your question on the other site 
Posted 7 March 2014
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictu..
I'd just use a fast lens and maybe up to iso 1600, the only pain is white balance sometimes but shoot raw to give yourself some room in that respect.

Posted 7 March 2014
riddell
Photographer
riddell

If you want minimal gear then anything you do is going to be a compromise. Going with a very wide apature and high ISO being just two of them, but also you find you probably can't sucessful light properly and evenly and no matter what you do it could well end up looking like a snapshot.

Posted 7 March 2014
Crippen
Photographer
Crippen
Start a rumour that it's a well known dogging car park, then wait for dozens of men with torches to turn up.
Posted 7 March 2014
Edited by Crippen 7 March 2014
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
RedChecker
Why?
So some bar steward doesn't mess with his kit.
Posted 7 March 2014
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
Crippen
Start a rumour that it's a well known dogging car park, then wait for dozens of men with torches to turn up.
Lol.
Posted 7 March 2014
Ian_Wilson
Photographer
Ian_Wilson
I have shot in car parks a few times and used the natural light from the open sides or gone up on up on the top floor so mainly used used the ambient light or supplemented it with flash, but it sounds like you want to be in enclosed areas and will therefore have to put all the light in yourself. I would suggest if you have a lighting stand you could use that with a brolly attached. If you don't want to carry the light stand then take the top adapter bit off and put your flash on with a shoot through brolly and hand-hold that. Maybe best to go for grungy grainy black and white with high iso and wide aperture. You could also try using the headlights of your car - either on their own or as backlighting against your foreground flash. Will you post some of the results in here after shoot?
Posted 8 March 2014
Preime
Photographer
Preime
Most of the times I shoot outside I will carry a normal camera flash with a wireless receiver attached to a lightweight tripod and a diffuser. Quick to move around and carry with me.

Posted 10 March 2014
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join