Utterly Appalled

Utterly Appalled

76 posts
5 March 2014
I do not often post in these forums .. however I could not go any longer without saying anything!

But what is going on with the industry... why do I keep seeing people offering £15 or less for full frontal nude!!
And what models are accepting this!!
This is not on.... no way should models being getting fully nude for that sort of money.
I personally feel very offended.

Yes I am all for doing special offers and deals.. but really £15 hour for nude!!

Am i just on my own in this??
Is it just me that thinks this is completely wrong??

I know I am probably going to get alot stick for this but I just could not help but say something!

Posted 5 March 2014
I model full frontal nude (not open leg) 9/10 times for tfp. Every nude/topless image in my portfolio was a tfp shoot. I'd much rather receive decent images as payment as modelling is something I do for fun. It's not appalling to me
Posted 5 March 2014
Gerry99111
Photographer
Gerry99111
But if its below reasonable, no one worth more will accept?

There are plenty of models I wouldn't shoot nude or anything else unless they offered to pay me a substantial sum and even then I would doubt I would do it but I don't chose to complain that they may want paying.

People will only offer what they can afford and want to pay. Whether they get any takers is up to others.

If people cannot get enough work at a rate they are happy with, they need to adapt or face the fact that maybe the market is dead and its time for a change

Posted 5 March 2014
Pict
Photographer
Pict
If thats the price someone is willing to work for why should you be offended/appalled. People in this industry are worth what they are worth surely?

Posted 5 March 2014
PHP_Photography
Photographer
PHP_Photogra..

£15/hour is much better than £0 when one has to pay rent and buy food.

Posted 5 March 2014
eebijeebi
Photographer
eebijeebi
Lots of people in lots of jobs working hard and not earning as much as £15ph.
All about perspective from where you are.

Posted 5 March 2014
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
I agree with the OP. There have been a few strange casting calls for models to work TFP for new online messages, so the publisher of the online magazine gets their content for free and makes money but won't pay their models!

Posted 5 March 2014
Gerry99111
Photographer
Gerry99111
HowardJ

I agree with the OP. There have been a few strange casting calls for models to work TFP for new online messages, so the publisher of the online magazine gets their content for free and makes money but won't pay their models!

But I have even been approached a number of times to supply pictures to these online magazines for no money and some have even started to try and tell me I am missing out on a great deal and want to know why I wont just send them some images - after all, what have I got to lose.

Ignore or block seem a suitable response. Only a few people of the required quality will actually send them images which is why they have to spend so much time trying to persuade people to provide images. How are people going to stop these people from asking? It is the market that will stop them when they realise they cannot get the quality to fill their publication on a regular basis. Who though is going to pay to view their magazine though?

It is just people trying to create a market when there isn't one that is sustainable
Posted 5 March 2014
Gerry99111
Photographer
Gerry99111
An offer is better than no offer. You have the option to ignore or respond with a counter offer of your own if there is interest in a shoot. If there is no offer of a shoot at all, then that is a worse position to be as no one is interested in working with you

Posted 5 March 2014
BigEarsPix
Photographer
BigEarsPix
I've heard tales from experienced models of offers of £15/hour for UK mag. When turning the work down the photographer tells them that there are loads of girls who will do it for that or less.

Posted 5 March 2014
Gerry99111
Photographer
Gerry99111
BigEarsPix

I've heard tales from experienced models of offers of £15/hour for UK mag. When turning the work down the photographer tells them that there are loads of girls who will do it for that or less.

But are these that will do it worth shooting or is that even true and not some attempt to try and convince the model they are losing out.

We all know there are tightfisted people out there as well as greedy ones.

There is a huge difference between asking and demanding or pressurising
Posted 5 March 2014
PaulManuell
Photographer
PaulManuell
Klouise1992
I do not often post in these forums .. however I could not go any longer without saying anything! But what is going on with the industry... why do I keep seeing people offering £15 or less for full frontal nude!! And what models are accepting this!! This is not on.... no way should models being getting fully nude for that sort of money. I personally feel very offended. Yes I am all for doing special offers and deals.. but really £15 hour for nude!! Am i just on my own in this?? Is it just me that thinks this is completely wrong?? I know I am probably going to get alot stick for this but I just could not help but say something!
If you think it's not on, being offered £15 an hour for nude, just don't accept those offers. But what right have you got to question those who offer it and those who accept it? Your comments remind me of the supermodel who said she 'wouldn't get out of bed for less than £10000.' It's a very snobbish attitude. As someone above in this thread said, there're people working hard for a lot less than £15 an hour in this country, me included. And no, I'm not one of those offering £15 an hour for nude, before anyone asks.
Posted 5 March 2014
Edited by PaulManuell 5 March 2014
It is a little disappointing seeing such cheap rates however I do think that a lot of the time the "you get what you pay for" works.

There are sooo many people trying to make money out of modelling now - if they are getting the £15 an hour then good luck to them.

I do think though that generally most photographers who appreciate/value a models time and skills are still happy to pay the "average" going rate. I have been asked for my rates then been told "£60 for 2x hours is too much" - then been counter offered what would have equated to £2.50 an hour per photographer (there was multiple photographers). I'm sure they would have found somebody else to work for them. Somebody new might have been delighted with £15 for 2x hour shoot with the chance of getting some pictures. I know when I started out I didn't even get as much as my travelling expenses paid for me 99% of the time.

Posted 5 March 2014
artistoli
Photographer
artistoli
OP is off her rockers. Newsflash; the monetary value of images is falling and the basic rule of supply and demand is at work. If you don't like it don't take it. To be honest most photographers could say they are appalled all the time, with what images are worth commercially. Its the way of the world - not something aimed to annoy models.

Posted 5 March 2014
Millzy82
Photographer
Millzy82
Don't get me wrong, I have nothing but the utmost respect for models. However, I do think it's ridiculous to find it "appalling" that £15 ph rates are offered for full-frontal nudity. You have a choice to say "no" in the same way I have a choice to refuse to work with a model for whatever reason.

Almost any job in this country can be perceived as having too high or low a salary for what's entailed.

For the record, I have never tried to negotiate such rates. The closest I've been is inquiring about half-day rates when a model specifies that reduced rates are on offer.

Posted 5 March 2014
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join