Anyone bought from this company?

Anyone bought from this company?

23 posts
3 March 2014
anthonyh
Photographer
anthonyh
http://www.eglobaldigitalstore.co.uk/ As the title says......their prices and guarantees etc look pretty good........
Posted 3 March 2014
lester2705
Photographer
lester2705
Might be worth having a look at this Anthony, just to err on the side of safety and all :

http://www.reviewcentre.com/Online-Camera-Shops/eGlobaL-Digital-Store-www-eglobaldigitalstore-co-uk-reviews_1825903
Posted 3 March 2014
OldMaster
Photographer
OldMaster
I have good experience of Valuebasket...

Posted 3 March 2014
lester2705
Photographer
lester2705
Just wondering if valuebasket and e global digital are one and the same ? Only wondering as my dad just had an horrendous time with them (Valuebasket). Bought a lens at 400 quid which they said was in stock and he hasd to chase them for 3 weeks as they kept sending email saying your item is now in stock and will be dispatched shortly. Overall took 5 WEEKS to get to him from purchase to his door.

Posted 3 March 2014
Edited by lester2705 3 March 2014
Darkstudent
Photographer
Darkstudent

just go for digitalrev like everyone else and you wont be disappointed.

Posted 3 March 2014
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictu..
+1 for digital rev. Warranty conditions good there too.

Posted 3 March 2014
AegeanSoft
Photographer
AegeanSoft
I understand that the UK Customs have now delegated the UK Border Agency to collect duty on all imports into the UK, outside of the EU, for them. The individual tax-free allowance has dropped to £15 (from £30) inclusive of postage and that duty and VAT will be payable above that amount. I was told by a Post Office employee that the Border Agency gets a commission on all the fees they can collect and therefore they are now far less lenient on what they will allow in for free.

I understand that duty and VAT they charge is based on bringing the cost of the item up to the price of the item selling in the UK and not the price that you paid for it abroad. It appears that for second-hand equipment they look at past UK sale prices, e.g. eBay, and charge accordingly, rather than accept the price the seller says he sold it for.

I do not buy expensive items from abroad and because Nikon etc. will not service grey imported items, I buy from accredited UK dealers.

RIPOFF Britain strikes again.

Posted 4 March 2014
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
AegeanSoft
I understand that the UK Customs have now delegated the UK Border Agency to collect duty on all imports into the UK, outside of the EU, for them. The individual tax-free allowance has dropped to £15 (from £30) inclusive of postage and that duty and VAT will be payable above that amount. I was told by a Post Office employee that the Border Agency gets a commission on all the fees they can collect and therefore they are now far less lenient on what they will allow in for free. I understand that duty and VAT they charge is based on bringing the cost of the item up to the price of the item selling in the UK and not the price that you paid for it abroad. It appears that for second-hand equipment they look at past UK sale prices, e.g. eBay, and charge accordingly, rather than accept the price the seller says he sold it for. I do not buy expensive items from abroad and because Nikon etc. will not service grey imported items, I buy from accredited UK dealers. RIPOFF Britain strikes again.
Paying taxes due is part of being a law-abiding citizen. If you would prefer to live in a country where it is normal to ignore your tax obligations I hear that Greece has such a reputation.
Posted 4 March 2014
Edited by stolenfaces 4 March 2014
anthonyh
Photographer
anthonyh
Thanks for the replies...it is starting to look like a company to avoid although in general some overseas suppliers seem good value....they don't seem to want to rip us off the same way as most UK based companies want to....that is taking taxes etc into account as well.

Anyone following USA sites will be shocked at the prices companies like Epson and Canon sell some of their stuff for....prices we can only dream of!

Posted 4 March 2014
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
anthonyh
Thanks for the replies...it is starting to look like a company to avoid although in general some overseas suppliers seem good value....they don't seem to want to rip us off the same way as most UK based companies want to....that is taking taxes etc into account as well. Anyone following USA sites will be shocked at the prices companies like Epson and Canon sell some of their stuff for....prices we can only dream of!
Most US sites don't include sales taxes as they vary from state to state, meanwhile we have to pay 20% VAT. For a manufacturer a lot of overheads are per territory/currency so these are pretty small per unit in USA, but not in little UK.
Posted 4 March 2014
anthonyh
Photographer
anthonyh
stolenfaces
Most US sites don't include sales taxes as they vary from state to state, meanwhile we have to pay 20% VAT. For a manufacturer a lot of overheads are per territory/currency so these are pretty small per unit in USA, but not in little UK.
When Canon sell items in the USA for less than half the cost here then something is wrong. There are numerous trade in and refurb deals there that we never see in the UK.
Posted 4 March 2014
OldMaster
Photographer
OldMaster
...."Nikon Corporation grant a one year European Service Warranty for Digital Products. Note that some selected products are supported by a Worldwide Warranty"

Nikon have authorised repair centres in most countries and they are obliged to comply with the above!

If your product sadly does not fall into the "World Wide Warranty" category then of course it is still under warranty from the country of purchase and you can return it as such.

In truth I suspect if Nikon UK for instance wanted to maintain good customer relations on the basis that a Nikon camera system owner for life will almost certainly be investing 5 figures over time, looking kindly on servicing a brand new unit would probably be preferred practice?

Have to admit though that every Nikon(film & digital)/Fuji Camera and lens from Sigma/Tokina/Nikon I have ever bought over a 30 year period has not been faulty. From new I had one Metz out of several bought in the same period that had to be replaced...just lucky may be but such is the quality control now I have no hesitation in buying either camera bodies and certainly lenses from the most competitively priced sources...

Posted 4 March 2014
AegeanSoft
Photographer
AegeanSoft
OldMaster

...."Nikon Corporation grant a one year European Service Warranty for Digital Products. Note that some selected products are supported by a Worldwide Warranty"

You obviously have a genuine European sourced Nikon item .... does anyone have the 'warranty' information in a grey import Nikon to hand?

Posted 4 March 2014
alexcrawford
Photographer
alexcrawford

+1 for DigitalRev

Posted 6 March 2014
Bayrunner
Photographer
Bayrunner
anthonyh

When Canon sell items in the USA for less than half the cost here then something is wrong. There are numerous trade in and refurb deals there that we never see in the UK.

It's all about scale... The number likely to require a particular item in the USA and Canada is ten times what it would be in the UK... but the size of the operation dealing with it is probably not much larger than the UK operation... hence the apparent disparity in cost... It's probably cheaper in Europe too, as they can hop over a land border: For some reason water borders, however small, hike the cost of just about everything.
Posted 7 March 2014
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join