Never had this from a model before... what do you think?

Never had this from a model before... what do you think?

It seems this conversation has now been locked
29 posts
25 Feb 2014
FaeArt
Photographer
FaeArt
I'm amazed at what has just happened in ten years this is the first time this has happened but I'm sure I'm not alone.

I arranged a two hour shoot with a model at her house. Art nude vogue style then alternative fashion shoot after (didn't get that far). Price was agreed at £65.

The shoot was going ok, a little late but that's ok, when I was asked if I could send the model the shots afterwards. I said that I'm happy to send her the ones I am happy with and that have been edited. HOWEVER she said that she wanted all the images, even the unedited ones. I said I don't really do that I'm afraid. She insisted that EVERY other photographer though this ok and had done so.. Really?

She went to change into the next outfit and and sort her hair out, upon returning she asked again about me sending all of the images. I said that I'm afraid not.

She then kept arguing that she needs to help her posing and modeling, but would not share them with anyone. The shoot ground to a halt as she stopped modeling to argue to point. I said that we had agreed the price and the shoot before hand and that I had never been asked this before.

She said that because I had only paid £65 she should have the images..

At this point I said that I'm sorry but I really cant work with you any more since I find this really unprofessional.

I left wishing her all the best but I found this unexceptable. She got paid for the hour I was not shooting and has left a negative review.

Posted 25 Feb 2014
camerawerks
Photographer
camerawerks
Unless you've agreed something different, if you pay a model there should be no REQUIREMENT to provide images - that would be tfp (time for pictures). Obviously, you're free to give the model pictures as well if you want but that would be entirely optional.

However, since you mentioned you've been left a negative reference I couldn't help looking. I don't understand why the model in question said she needs all the shots "to help her posing and modelling" - her profile says she's an "advanced", "professional" model and I know for a fact she's been modelling successfully for quite some time.

What was the original arrangement?

Posted 25 Feb 2014
FaeArt
Photographer
FaeArt
Well it really surprised me too. This is what I asked for "The look I'm going for is sexy Vogue style fashion art nude, which you look perfect for. First hour "Classic" second hour edgy (something edgy makeup wise, feel free to do something of your own design) Lets make an impact!! " The response was "yes of course 65 total 25th sounds great for me lets book it " She may have just had a bad day or was feeling very self conscious today (she kept wanting to look at the back of the camera and complaining about her hair.
Posted 25 Feb 2014
camerawerks
Photographer
camerawerks
Yeah, maybe just a bad day! Contact the mods if you don't think the feedback is appropriate.

Posted 25 Feb 2014
MG
Photographer
MG
Please don't take this as 'you're lying' because I'm not saying that at all but the model has 93 + recommendations and you have one negative out of one review..... Is there a link missing out of the chain somewhere here? is there a genuine misunderstanding of what she asked for and what you thought she asked for?

Posted 25 Feb 2014
TheShinyOne
Photographer
TheShinyOne
One shoot in your 10 days membership on this site and its bad feedback ?
Posted 25 Feb 2014
Pict
Photographer
Pict
Don't jump to conclusions! I'd contact the moderators if I were you.

Posted 25 Feb 2014
FaeArt
Photographer
FaeArt
I can't name the 3 photographers who have sent me emails, but it has happened before.

Posted 25 Feb 2014
Crippen
Photographer
Crippen
I'm not speaking about Anna here, as I've never met her. But I once had a similar situation, with another model.

In my case, the model in question had her own pay-per-view website, and was working cheap or TFP (can't remember which) with as many photographers as possible, in order to collect vast quantities of images to post on her site. (to keep her paying members happy).

Shabby behavior. If she had asked nicely, I'm sure we could have come to some arrangement.

I think if a model genuinely wanted to see all the images, so she could learn from her mistakes, especially a newbie, then I'd find that commendable. In such a circumstances, I might offer her very low res. watermarked copies and a one page contract stating that she couldn't publish them online, resell, or pass on to any third party.

Dave
Posted 25 Feb 2014
Edited by Crippen 25 Feb 2014
OldMaster
Photographer
OldMaster
93+ recommendations or not, a model as stunning as this for £65? I am usually wary of those offering amazing deals for "this month only"..most months!

I wanted to work with her but communication was so hit and miss I finally gave up. She even makes a remark about her somewhat "all over the place" nature on her port!

This is a shame because clearly 93+ togs got it together and in my opinion she has a talent to match her stunning looks but I suspect one needs to be very, very clear in the booking arrangements!!

I agree with "myshoot", contact the mods and try and smooth it over. Probably a misunderstanding (language problem may be?). I suspect this lady can be perfectly reasonable, it probably just got all out of shape. An apology, even if you don't think you are in the wrong, and an offer to let her see the pictures might be a solution, what have you got to lose? You might even get the Blue Face lifted?

She could have been a fabulous model for £65 and frankly this could almost be considered a "part paid" assignment. At least she showed concern and interest by wanting to see the images on the camera. I don't always but with a "concerned" model or a newbie I will often show them the pictures on the camera..a good talking point and a show of trust and openness?

Posted 25 Feb 2014
Millzy82
Photographer
Millzy82
With paid shoots, this is why I always ask for the model to read and sign a release form. I don't do it just to verify they are of legal age and can consent to the shoot and permit me to publish whatever material I shoot, I also do it for them to acknowledge that by signing the form, they forfeit any rights to the photos (I'm always happy to share a small handful of them as a good will gesture though I ask for credit).

I've had a really good working relationship will all of the models I've worked with but I always ask for them to sign the form so situations like this can be avoided.

Posted 25 Feb 2014
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
You did the right thing and walked away. Its never right when someone decides to change the shoot on the day.

Posted 25 Feb 2014
IainT
Photographer
IainT
None of my post relates directly to the model mentioned or the OP, its just a general observation.

I don,t go with the xxxx number of refs, she must be great idea or he,s only been here for 2 weeks and no refs so he must be in the wrong. Either or niether is possible.

I will say though that there are models with any number of positive refs who virtually bully inexperienced or "starstruck" amateur photographers and get away with stuff they would never get away with, or even try to get away with, with more seasoned individuals.

In the same way that there are plenty of photographers with loads of undeserved positive recommendations, there are plenty of popular models with barrowloads of positive refs that in a lot of cases they almost certainly don,t deserve.

It works both ways. Good refs are no absolute guarantee of sterling behaviour in either models or photographers

Posted 25 Feb 2014
Paul_Jones
Photographer
Paul_Jones
IainT

I don,t go with the xxxx number of refs, she must be great idea or he,s only been here for 2 weeks and no refs so he must be in the wrong. Either or niether is possible.

I will say though that there are models with any number of positive refs who virtually bully inexperienced or "starstruck" amateur photographers and get away with stuff they would never get away with, or even try to get away with, with more seasoned individuals.

Agreed.

On the subject of references, I'm always a bit puzzled why a model chalks up, say, 93 positive references but doesn't bother returning the favour and leaving a reference for all but maybe the last one or two photographers.  Were the other 90 or so photographers so bad that they don't deserve a reference?  

Leaving references is good 'customer care' and bound to lead to more repeat business.  I know that I always feel more inclined to shoot again with a model who has taken time to leave a reference. 

Best regards
Paul

Posted 25 Feb 2014
FaeArt
Photographer
FaeArt
Thank you.

I did feel that she was trying to intimidate me into giving her the images by saying that her agent gets her £500 for a shoot and I was getting a bargain. There is no way I could work with models with attitude.

Since my last post I have had another photographer contact me privately. He said that she told him how she wanted him to take the shots ( which she did to me).

I think she thought I was green, because I shoot with very little equipment. Sorry but no way I'm putting up with that kind of bulling.

Posted 25 Feb 2014
It seems this conversation has now been locked