Shooting glamour 5d mk1..50mm 1.2L or 85mm 1.2L Dilemma

Shooting glamour 5d mk1..50mm 1.2L or 85mm 1.2L Dilemma

51 posts
22 Feb 2014
lester2705
Photographer
lester2705
So i'm using 2 x 5d mk1 bodies, and currently using 24 - 105L and a 70 - 200 f4L. Want to use a prime but not sure whether to use 50mm f1.2L or 85mm f1.2L so wondering if anyone knows from experience? Its a tough call I know but i just don't know if i should go for the tighter crop of the 85mm or go for the 50 to open it out a little more spacewise...Thanks in advance

cheeky
Posted 22 Feb 2014
magpie1
Photographer
magpie1
Does it have to be a 1.2 lens? 50mm 1.4 or 85mm 1.8 about 1/5 the cost of the respective 1.2's.

Posted 22 Feb 2014
PaulManuell
Photographer
PaulManuell
Do you already own the 50mm and 85mm? If so, can't you just attach one to each body and shoot with both? If you don't own them and your question is more a case of which one should you buy, well couldn't you use your zooms set at the 2 respective focal lengths and just see which you like best? I know the dof won't be the same because of the much wider apertures on the primes, but surely you'd get a good idea of framing and the 'look' of each focal length.

Posted 22 Feb 2014
lester2705
Photographer
lester2705
Probably a good idea to get a feel of it Paul. I guess its mostly been a stupid question to ask but just looking to invest in glass long term thats going to be there and available at any given point in the future and I think I just want to get it right. I do have the cheapo versions of each and its quite easy to stick both on but with the outlay i'm trying to convince myself of the uses of each.
I see your angle Magpie but I'm looking to adapt my style a little and the available depth of field from the 1.2 is something that's a big part in what i'm looking to achieve.

Posted 22 Feb 2014
jpv
Photographer
jpv
Looking at your portfolio, if your "framing" of the models there is representative of your work I would suggest the 50mm is more suited as you will need to be further from your model with the 85. I am fortunate enough to own all the lenses you list and to be honest I mostly use the 24-105, because of its reach and quality. The 85 offers super BOKEH and shallow depth of field but I find better suited to head and shoulders.

Posted 22 Feb 2014
lester2705
Photographer
lester2705
jpv

Looking at your portfolio, if your "framing" of the models there is representative of your work I would suggest the 50mm is more suited as you will need to be further from your model with the 85. I am fortunate enough to own all the lenses you list and to be honest I mostly use the 24-105, because of its reach and quality. The 85 offers super BOKEH and shallow depth of field but I find better suited to head and shoulders.

Thank you Paul, I think this is what I was looking for as someone who has both and I think you would be right in the 50mm as I could get more diverse with it. Appreciate everybody's input thank you.
Posted 22 Feb 2014
Andy_B
Photographer
Andy_B
Frankly I'd consider going Nikon if I were looking to drop a whole heap of money on primes. Canon's primes are over expensive and under performing, while Nikon have refreshed much of their range in recent years.

Hire before you buy for sure. Do either the Canon 1.2 or 1.4 give you the performance you're looking for wide open? (I know the 1.4 doesn't)

Posted 22 Feb 2014
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
A 50mm works quite well. the canon f1.4 is good and pretty cheap.

Posted 22 Feb 2014
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
I own a 5D, 1Ds II and 6D and have the Sigma 50mm and 85mm f1.4 lenses. For less than the cost of the cheapest Canon you can have both of those and IMO the Sigmas are optically better. Before buying the Sigmas I had tried out the Canon's on my cameras and I wasn't blown away by them. Admittedly the build of the Sigmas isn't as nice but considering the amount I've saved and the better sharpness I'm getting from them I think I made the right choice.

As for glamour, the 50mm is too wide IMO.

Posted 22 Feb 2014
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictu..
Checkers right, seriously consider both sigmas before the 1.2's.

Posted 22 Feb 2014
lester2705
Photographer
lester2705
Yeah i'm going to have a look at the Sigma's. Think we had this convo before Steve when you were telling me about the 85mm 1.4. Can see your angle on the 50mm and I'm thinking if I get in too tight on the crop i have to worry about distortion but the 85 gives a more controlled approach but going to have a look at both in the local Sigma shop during the week as I wanna make sure I get this right!!

Posted 23 Feb 2014
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
It's worth mentioning that Sigma have a new 50mm in the pipeline that's said to compete (optically) with the insanely sharp & expensive Zeiss Otus 55mm (which costs ~£4000 iirc), no price as yet though.

Posted 23 Feb 2014
lester2705
Photographer
lester2705
RedChecker

It's worth mentioning that Sigma have a new 50mm in the pipeline that's said to compete (optically) with the insanely sharp & expensive Zeiss Otus 55mm (which costs ~£4000 iirc), no price as yet though.

Sounds interesting Steve, I shall have to look this one up for an arrival estimate
Posted 23 Feb 2014
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
I've just noticed that Warehouse Express no longer list the Sigma 50mm for Canon. Very odd.

Posted 23 Feb 2014
NTN_Photography
Photographer
NTN_Photogra..
If you look at the black & white images of my port of those ONLY with Artemis Fauna and Emma Willis, all of those were taken with a Canon 50mm f1.4 and as you can see, these are great images in my opinion. Why not hire both from www.lenshire.co.uk/com and try them out for a week and different locations and styles. At least you can then see the differences between each before you buy?

Posted 23 Feb 2014
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join