What studio lights would you reccomend?

What studio lights would you reccomend?

32 posts
21 Feb 2014
Iconic
Photographer
Iconic
for a commercial / family studio - i really wanted bowens gemini but dont think im going to have the pennies for them for a while can anyone else reccomend any that have god power and a good degree fo controll (ie not full power all the time lights) that i could get a beauty dish to fit
Posted 21 Feb 2014
Glossypinklipstick
Photographer
Glossypinkli..
I use Elinchrom BXRi500s.
£850 a pair including softboxes and stands.
State of the art and includes radio triggers.
There is a single version around £350

I used to have cheaper interfit but later on i had issues with them.
I wish I had bought once instead of twice.

Posted 21 Feb 2014
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Bowens would be the cheapest I'd recommend, especially for commercial use. Bowens are good because all the bits are relatively cheap and there's a lot of third party stuff, and they're pretty reliable.

Posted 21 Feb 2014
Paul_Jones
Photographer
Paul_Jones
I considered all brands of lights when I was buying.  The two brands that seem consistently highly regarded are Bowens and Elinchrom.  I don't think you can go wrong with either of them, so it's down to personal choice and your own individual needs.

If it helps, I wrote a Blog post about how I chose my studio lighting kit  -  http://www.pauljones.org/?p=578

Best regards
Paul

Posted 21 Feb 2014
davidhibberd
Photographer
davidhibberd
Lencarta

Posted 21 Feb 2014
AlletunYL
Photographer
AlletunYL
Cull me for simplicity but a decorators ceiling light 500w

Posted 21 Feb 2014
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
AlletunYL

Cull me for simplicity but a decorators ceiling light 500w

For a commercial studio?

People'll just walk out laughing if they saw that.
Posted 21 Feb 2014
Darkstudent
Photographer
Darkstudent

interfit do budget lighting, bowens gets a +1 from me though for reliability.

Posted 21 Feb 2014
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
Elinchrom BRx500s

I've seen loads of blown fuses and modelling lamp bulbs with Bowens whereas I've only had one fuse blow on my elinchroms when a modelling lamp blew after 3 years of use.

The Flash Centre who are the UK distributor for Elinchrom (the brother of Elinchrom's CEO runs the flash centre) usually run deals in the week of the photography show (1st to 4th March) so you might be able to get cheaper prices. However based on the slightler cheaper prices they're offering at the moment on some heads I suspect some new models are about to be announced and they're clearing stock.

Posted 21 Feb 2014
Edited by HowardJ 21 Feb 2014
RupertRudd
Photographer
RupertRudd
Very happy with my Interfit Stellars. 300 watts apiece.

Posted 21 Feb 2014
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
HowardJ

I've seen loads of blown fuses and modelling lamp bulbs with Bowens whereas I've only had one fuse blow on my elinchroms when a modelling lamp blew after 3 years of use.

Are these Bowens heads used in studios?  (and as such treated like crap by the morons who frequent studios?)

I've only ever had Elinchrom blow up on me, the Bowens have been fine (and that was a studio-hire Elinchrom, I think it's unfair to compare studio hire gear with lovingly cared for personal gear)

Overall Elinchrom do have the edge in terms of spec but to build up a like for like system is more expensive especially when you consider the fact that Bowens have a lot of third party support compared to Elinchrom, and it has to be said the latest Bowens heads have come quite a way since I bought my first generation Gemini heads ~5 years ago, they're now digital, have auto-dumping, much faster recycling etc.  The main drawback is that Bowens typically have VERY slow flash durations compared to Elinchrom.

Admittedly if I were starting again I probably would go the Elinchrom route, but then I've gone beyond Bowens and also bought Profoto gear which is insanely expensive.  For starting out if your finances are lacking then Bowens are a pretty safe bet for getting you off the ground (and spares are cheap/easy to come by)
Posted 22 Feb 2014
Edited by RedChecker 22 Feb 2014
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
RedChecker
Are these Bowens heads used in studios?  (and as such treated like crap by the morons who frequent studios?)
Both studio and someone else's personal ones when I've been shooting at their place. They seem to go through modelling lamp bulbs very quickly.
Posted 22 Feb 2014
Two_stops
Photographer
Two_stops
http://www.bessel.co.uk/acatalog/Lamps.html

Have a look at those John, I use two of the 600's in my studio, no problems at all and remote controlled.

Posted 22 Feb 2014
Darkstudent
Photographer
Darkstudent
My uni used Bowens in the studios and were hammered daily, the technician went through more softboxes than anything due to people damaging them.

Posted 22 Feb 2014
Mansell
Photographer
Mansell
RupertRudd

Very happy with my Interfit Stellars. 300 watts apiece.

+1
Posted 22 Feb 2014
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join