Recovery programme

11 posts
16 Feb 2014
Brian_Markie
Photographer
Brian_Markie
Hi and thanks for reading and an even bigger thanks for helping me if you can. I need help in recovering a deleted folder of images on my laptop; my trash can was automatically emptied disabling me from normally recovering back to where they should have been. The images have are so vital in importance of past family members (Grandparents, Aunts & Uncles etc) I'm at my wits end fearing i may have lost them permanently. All of the images had been worked to to a high standard in giving them a face lift which thinking about it I've been doing over a number of years. I have been informed that nothing is ever permanently deleted and that they can be recovered. So i was wondering if anyone else had faced a similar situation and had successfully recovered them. If you have can you forward some advice on the IT software you used. Many thanks for reading and please feel free to email me with your ideas.
Posted 16 Feb 2014
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
First and foremost.... stop using that machine, even in so much as booting it up until you find a possible solution.

Posted 16 Feb 2014
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
At this point it may be possible & worthwhile looking into making a sector-by-sector backup/mirror of the harddisk from that machine onto a USB drive, again until you find a solution to this problem. The sector-by-sector backup is important as it will ensure the deleted data is also copied over.

Posted 16 Feb 2014
Brian_Markie
Photographer
Brian_Markie
Good thinking Red Checker and in the process now. Thanks for the advice.

Posted 16 Feb 2014
Plymjack
Photographer
Plymjack
I have used Wondershare Data Recovery to good effect in the past. If it is mission critical I would send the drive off to a reputable data recovery company.

good luck

Posted 16 Feb 2014
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
Buy a SanDisk memory card and you'll get free recovery software included.

Posted 16 Feb 2014
CSD_Images
Photographer
CSD_Images
First things first, as Steven stays stop using the laptop. Next use a program called GetDataBack and slave the laptop drive to your desktop. It's unlikely you'll get 100% back but you should get most back if you have not written anything to the drive and the drive is fairly empty. If it's near full then your chances are lower. If you have VSC (Volume Shadow Copy) enabled then you may have a good chance of recovering data even if the drive is near full. Depending on the size of the drive a full scan will take several hours however GDB is the tool I use for much of the data recovery work I've done in the past for non-mechanical failures. Once you've recovered the data, learn how to back up critical data to multiple drives/systems. It'll save you pulling your hair out in frustration or panic.
Posted 16 Feb 2014
Brian_Markie
Photographer
Brian_Markie
Many thanks Howard and CSD. Im in the middle of an attempt. If it fails I will try your suggestions.

Posted 16 Feb 2014
riddell
Photographer
riddell

Absolutely. Stop using the machine.

The best software I've ever come across for data recovery without getting stupidly expensive and complex is ZAR.

And I used to work professionally as a data recover!

If you delete something you want and get onto it immediately with ZAR then I'd say you have pretty much a 100% chance of recovery.

The more you use the machine and write files the less chance you have. Basic internet browsing will write loads of files and diminishes your chances quite rapidly, especially if the hard drive is full.

Posted 17 Feb 2014
Bill_M
Photographer
Bill_M
If that happened to me I would stop using the laptop, remove the hard disk and connect it to my desktop machine to do the recovery. I have had success before with both Get Data Back and ZAR.

Posted 17 Feb 2014
davajones
Photographer
davajones
Did your last attempt work ? I use a programme called disc digger. It works every time. I was daft enough to give a client a camera card straight from the camera before backing it up ( it was his card and I was working freelance for him). He knacksrd it up and was nearly in tears as he had a whole days school photo shoot on it). The recovery programme worked a treat.
If you are having any problems still, just give an an email. We can then chat on the phone and I will talk you through in more detail.

Posted 18 Feb 2014
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join