Hassleblad Kit

21 posts
6 Feb 2014
NicoM
Photographer
NicoM
Hi Guys

I wondered if the Hassleblad Kit as detailed below was of any interest to anyone. All is in great condition and only being sold as my father has given up his photography business.

Open to sensible offers, would ideally like to sell it all together

Hasselblad 500c camera with crank handle wind with a F2.8 80mm planar lens

With fast focusing attachment and 12 back

Plus and extra 12 back

One Hasselblad F2.8 / 80mm T* lens with fast focusing attachment and filter

Two lens hoods for above

One Hassleblad fast camera to tripod release attachement

12" cable release

One extra focusing hood

One Hasselblad focusing filter

Tree extra focusing screens

Two Hasselblad 80mm filter

One carrying case

Can email you a photograph if you send me your email address

Thank you for looking

Posted 6 Feb 2014
Rawandthecooked
Photographer
Rawandthecoo..
Ah, if you can find a digital back to fit or a retro film photographer, this is nice kit! Sadly, probably not worth more than a few hundred?

Posted 6 Feb 2014
jivago
Photographer
jivago
Rawandthecooked

Ah, if you can find a digital back to fit or a retro film photographer, this is nice kit! Sadly, probably not worth more than a few hundred?

In reasonable condition - This is worth far more than a few hundred!!!!! I have seen 501C's  recently go for £300-£750 minus lens. There is a 500 body on E Bay right now for $949.00. As V series are not made anymore they are widely expected to climb in price.

This company will be able to check out, restore, repair and value it for you:-

http://www.classicv.co.uk/

Do your research and you could get a lot for this kit.

(As for digital backs, film is gradual clawing back popularity. For some aspects it beats digital hands down).

Posted 6 Feb 2014
Edited by jivago 6 Feb 2014
Rawandthecooked
Photographer
Rawandthecoo..
Oh Jivago, you maybe right about the price of a second hand Hassleblad, but I don't really think that film will be making much of a comeback! The good thing is, you can probably get a decent second hand digital back for maybe a few grand?

Posted 7 Feb 2014
Rawandthecooked
Photographer
Rawandthecoo..
Oh Jivago, you maybe right about the price of a second hand Hassleblad, but I don't really think that film will be making much of a comeback! The good thing is, you can probably get a decent second hand digital back for maybe a few grand?

Posted 7 Feb 2014
anthonyh
Photographer
anthonyh
Rawandthecooked

If you spend just a few hours on eBay you will see that quality film gear, any format, is selling for silly money compared to a couple of years ago. I personally would like to pick up a decent s/h film scanner and they are selling for more than their original release price. MFcamera and lens prices are particularly strong as well.

I am always surprised when people make statements about film useage with no evidence.....the sale of B+W film has increased year on year for some time now according to a report in B+W Photography.
Posted 7 Feb 2014
dbnephotography
Photographer
dbnephotogra..
Film certainly IS making a comeback and analogue equipment is gaining more and more value. Films like Fuji Velvia are selling for silly prices amd MF stuff borders on crazy sometimes. Hopefully in the next few months I'll be in the market for some MF gear but I wouldn't mind betting your kit will sell very quick for the right price. Film is not dead, it's just been sleeping for a while
Posted 8 Feb 2014
chrismid
Photographer
chrismid
Have you still got your blad bits ?

Posted 18 March 2014
OldMaster
Photographer
OldMaster
This is the 500c...before even the 500cm. It will be a ct lens, not a cf I am guessing. In really nice condition if fitted with an A12 back rather than a 12on it could be worth around £400 +\-.

Film will be around for many more years...sales are increasing again, like vinyl records. Problem is what to do with the film when processed. You could flat bed scan it on an Epson Perfection for ok results but really good scans or a mf scanner will cost a lot more than the camera.

Posted 18 March 2014
anthonyh
Photographer
anthonyh
OldMaster

This is the 500c...before even the 500cm. It will be a ct lens, not a cf I am guessing. In really nice condition if fitted with an A12 back rather than a 12on it could be worth around £400 +\-. Film will be around for many more years...sales are increasing again, like vinyl records. Problem is what to do with the film when processed. You could flat bed scan it on an Epson Perfection for ok results but really good scans or a mf scanner will cost a lot more than the camera.

As it happens I scanned a roll of 35mm HP5 this morning that I deved last night. A bit surprised it came out ok as it had been in a fridge for several months since the shoot.....and I used  1yr old D76 so well past its storage life.

I used my Epson V700. I bought it after reading several reviews stating it matched the available film scanners. I know from personal experience that when using it I can get better inkjet prints from 35mm negs than I could wet prints from the same negs.....so that is one thing that can be done with film......scan it.

I get good quality 35mm scans but move up to MF and the quality of the resulting prints is outstanding....A1 is no trouble at all (not that I have an A1 printer but I have cropped images such that I am working on an equivalent enlargement.

Tucked away in a cuboard is my previous Epson flatbed...a 3200. That too produced very good prints from MF negs.....and I have seen them on eBay for well under £100 s/h.

Just to put things in perspective, I was offered a Nikon MF film scanner a couple of years back at a very good price, and was able to experiment with it for a couple of hours. Later I scanned the same negs with my V700. The Nixon images when pixel peeping seemed marginally better...but when comparing prints....the V700 was easily good enough and a close second to the Nikon in my opinion.

In some situations something like the Nikon might be justifiable but for 99% of cases the Epson will be more than suitable for most people. In most cases the ability to properly expose and develop suitable emulsions will be more critical than the scanner.
Posted 18 March 2014
OldMaster
Photographer
OldMaster
I liked HP5! Apart from XP2 it was my favourite silver based emulsion...usually shot at iso320 and processed in ID11/D76. Great shadow detail and fine grain! I have heard good things about the Perfections but my gut feeling was they would be fine for mf but struggle a little with 35mm?

Having said that the 7200ppi Plusteks start at £180...must be worth a punt at that with their top one with the silverfast suite, roc and gem I think at around £330....

Posted 18 March 2014
anthonyh
Photographer
anthonyh
As I mentioned...getting the exposure and developing (marginally thin negs scan better) gives the best results and I have good A3 prints from my old 3200....but scanning technique helps a lot and I also apply a couple of processes to film scans to get the result I like.

MF can be cheapish to get into. Probably no more than £300 will do assuming one has a suitable computer / printer / software setup.

And it depends on what one wants. For web work only the results will be superb. And for prints, size isn't everything!! I remember seeing an exhibition in Bath years ago...the artist had contact printed his images (6X6 cm) and then mounted them with very wide borders. Each image was like a little etching, all subtly toned on matt paper. £50 a framed print if I remember right....when £50 was a lot more than it is now!!

But if size is everything I suspect the right 35mm image could work at A2 from the Epson 3200 with HP5. I would go for the best flatbed I could afford just so I can go MF when I want....within limits, software and film processing are more important in my opinion...Vuescan is worth playing with....
Posted 18 March 2014
Edited by anthonyh 18 March 2014
anthonyh
Photographer
anthonyh
Just to add to the above...I have just deved another HP5 film...MF this time....so on a roll this week! It will be through the V700 asap..... One thing that might interest photographers on here...I don't often use MF film kit for model shoots...but on the rare occasions I have, the models have always expressed an interest in the camera and usually find it quite fascinating...so I don't think it is true that models are not interested in the gear only the outcome!! So maybe bigger is better in some situations...
Posted 18 March 2014
tonycsm
Photographer
tonycsm
Most pro-labs offer film scanning to CD which is ok but can be expensive for heavy users of film. An Epson Perfection 4990 is a decent machine for scanning 35mm/MF neg film and reasonably priced too!

When I was shooting regularly with my Bronicas, I used a little  Minolta D7i or A2 as a polaroid substitute to keep lighting/pose test costs down and it worked perfectly.

One of the major differences between shooting with film and digital is that you can't afford to waste your shots with film because each wasted shot costs actual money so unless you have money to burn, you soon learn not to pull the trigger before ( to use that old cliche) getting it right in the camera, which isn't such a bad thing!

It's worth adding that anyone wishing to go down the film camera route should also budget for a decent hand held exposure meter and get used to manual focus & exposure. A decent tripod and a speedgrip will be very usefull too.
Except for some holiday snaps, I still use a meter and shoot manually with my digital cameras and rarely if ever, look at the back screen of my digital cameras to check the images as I know how they will turn out from experience.

Posted 19 March 2014
Edited by tonycsm 19 March 2014
ATVLONDON
Photographer
ATVLONDON
I've got the 4990. It's good for scanning medium format but falls on 35mm as it isn't as sharp. If I had some decent money coming in I'd go for the V700 as I've read some positive reviews on it. I've gone back to shooting film on everything now. Lost too many digital files on unreliable back up devices so I would never shoot digital on something I want to last 20 years. I did a shoot with a girl back in 2008 and lost all the digital files and only have a couple of rolls of film which I shot on a Bronica GS1. I was gutted.

Posted 19 March 2014
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join