Adobe CC price increase

Adobe CC price increase

15 posts
5 Feb 2014
rtistik
Photographer
rtistik
Just got an email telling me that Creative Cloud subscription will increase when my current subscription runs out in March.
The increase appears to be about 37%.
I'm on an educational discount, so I don't know how this will affect normal subscriptions.

Posted 5 Feb 2014
OldMaster
Photographer
OldMaster
It's a very good reason to have stand alone CS6 on your computer?

The only thing subscriptions can do is go up!!

Posted 5 Feb 2014
rtistik
Photographer
rtistik
Fortunately, I do have CS6, and that is fine for Photoshop, but as I'm also into video I'm wondering if the increase is worth it.
I do find that the ongoing improvements in Premiere and After Effects are desirable, not so much Photoshop.

Posted 5 Feb 2014
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
I bet with the 37% increase the educational copy is still a shit load cheaper than the commercial one.

Posted 5 Feb 2014
AegeanSoft
Photographer
AegeanSoft
This is what was feared. You sign up to the CC scheme, lose your upgrade paths and licenses for your stand alone copies and after a while they can rip you off with whatever price rise they want knowing you have too much intellectual material tied up in PSD files etc.
Posted 5 Feb 2014
NoNoizePhotography
Photographer
NoNoizePhoto..
AegeanSoft

This is what was feared. You sign up to the CC scheme, lose your upgrade paths and licenses for your stand alone copies and after a while they can rip you off with whatever price rise they want knowing you have too much intellectual material tied up in PSD files etc.

What You said
Posted 5 Feb 2014
Bob
Photographer
Bob
rtistik

got an email telling me that Creative Cloud subscription will increase when my current subscription runs out

I suspect that a blind bandit in a darkened bank vault with his balaclava on backwards could have seen that one coming!
Bob

Posted 5 Feb 2014
Fox2006
Photographer
Fox2006
it was inevitable...once they have you by the short n curlies they up the price.

Posted 5 Feb 2014
OldMaster
Photographer
OldMaster
I understand there are some very good video editors out their other than Photoshop/Premier..Sony for instance?

Of course there will come a time you can't up date CS6 but it does everything I could want and more particularly with all the plug ins loaded in it...

I can only hope that Adobe at least up date ACR for new DSLR's rather than force customers to subscribe...
Posted 5 Feb 2014
Edited by OldMaster 5 Feb 2014
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
What did it go up to from ?
They seem to be selling the Student and Teacher subscription (the whole suite) for £15.88 per month inc VAT.
I can't help thinking that if you had it 37% cheaper than that initially it must have been an introductory offer for the first year only.

[ I realise that you said it went up by 37% and thus when I say '37% cheaper' it's not strictly true]

[ I don't disagree with general lack of confidence in Adobe upping rates ]

Posted 5 Feb 2014
blade392004
Photographer
blade392004
just noticed today you can get Photoshop CC and Lightroom 5 included for under £9.00/ month on 12 month contract

Posted 5 Feb 2014
rtistik
Photographer
rtistik
I have been paying £15.88 but in March it will increase to £21.91.
I appreciate that the educational rate is still cheaper than the full price, and I obviously expected it to increase, but It's the rate of increase that I'm commenting on.

Posted 6 Feb 2014
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Most people probably use the educational versions commercially anyway and it's likely that even genuine students could still afford the increase in cost.

I'd hazard a guess that the 'need' for an increase may well be a sign that not as many people signed up to the CC subscription model as they'd hoped for and increasing the cost of the commercial one probably isn't viable as it's pretty expensive anyway and an increase may drive commercial users to consider alternatives (especially considering most users will probably only use two or three apps from CC).  Increasing the cost of the insanely cheap educational version seems a sensible way to get more revenue.
Posted 6 Feb 2014
Edited by RedChecker 6 Feb 2014
anthonyh
Photographer
anthonyh
There has been a lot of debate on the American fredmiranda site regarding the CC subscription model and if photographers on there put their money where their mouths are there has been an exodus from Adobe in the past year, or a determination to stick with CS6 and Lightroom and explore alternative software.

It would follow therefor that those that signed up will be shafted to make up for the lost revenue....but I suspect Adobe doesn't mind the loss of custom as those remaining are now a captive audience to be milked at leisure.

My suggestion is to do what the Yanks seem to be doing....ask what is so essential about subscribing to CC and then see what alternatives are out there that have similar capabilities.....there are quite a few it seems, with LR being just one option.

As for the education option, I am surprised Adobe do it anyway. I taught for some years and didn't ever meet a student who paid to use PS as pirating the stuff was so easy. This was not lost revenue for Adobe as I doubt any of them would have bought the software...they wouldn't be able to afford it in most instances. Many enthusiasts probably use the education package but I wonder how many of them will remain with Adobe if the price is hiked?

Posted 6 Feb 2014
nige_nw
Photographer
nige_nw
There were introductory offers on around last year (around April/May IIRC) and many of these were 'introductory rates' which were due to more or less double on renewal to the full price.

This included the full CC suite and the then single app (e.g. Photoshop)

After the backlash they changed the photoshop offer to include LR etc and for a 'limited' time be at a lower but significantly not the 'introductory' rate. They have not said what it will actually renew at but I am sure they are bound to it being close to what it is now.

The 'limited time' offer has been extended a few times and currently seems to be on a bit longer.

I initially took out the Photoshop single app which was automatically transferred to the photoshop / LR bundle and is due for renewal in a couple of months so it will be interesting to see what it does actually renew at

Posted 6 Feb 2014
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join