I Spit On Your Grave 2

I Spit On Your Grave 2

19 posts
2 Feb 2014
TheChrisS
Photographer
TheChrisS
Has anybody seen it? My partner gave it to me for an Xmas present, and it features a woman struggling to find her way into the modelling world. She spots an advert for a free photoshoot, attends it, and is shortly afterwards assaulted by one of the photographers colleagues, violated and subjected to rape, before being kidnapped for further abuse. Ultimately she embarks on a quest for revenge.

If you're a model, if you saw a film such as this, would it discourage you from modelling? Would it encourage a desire for a chaperone? Or do you laugh it off as "only a film?"

If you're a photographer, whats your opinion? Is it just a film to you? Does it anger you that films like this are made, instilling fear and distrust into the modelling world?

Posted 2 Feb 2014
Crippen
Photographer
Crippen
Have you seen Hard Candy? It's about young girl who does really nasty things to a Photographer. Including removing his testicles. Does that discourage anyone from buying a camera?

Films are not real life. They are just films.

Dave

Posted 2 Feb 2014
Socialdisaster
Photographer
Socialdisaster
TheChrisS
Has anybody seen it? My partner gave it to me for an Xmas present, and it features a woman struggling to find her way into the modelling world. She spots an advert for a free photoshoot, attends it, and is shortly afterwards assaulted by one of the photographers colleagues, violated and subjected to rape, before being kidnapped for further abuse. Ultimately she embarks on a quest for revenge. If you're a model, if you saw a film such as this, would it discourage you from modelling? Would it encourage a desire for a chaperone? Or do you laugh it off as "only a film?" If you're a photographer, whats your opinion? Is it just a film to you? Does it anger you that films like this are made, instilling fear and distrust into the modelling world?
Most people who aren't already mentally disturbed can tell the difference between films and real life.
Posted 2 Feb 2014
TheChrisS
Photographer
TheChrisS
Yes, you're correct. Films are not real life (except those that are based on real life stories). But I just wondered if such films have ever planted negative seeds in models. We all know there are a few rogue photographers out there that give the respectable photographers a bad name. I know of people who are wary of planes when they see disaster movies, for instance, despite the obvious unliklihood of it happening. I know of a person who developed a fear of spiders after watching Arachnophobia one evening. Films like this portray the model as young, innocent and vulnerable initially. And I wonder if models who might see it are discouraged or feel a need for protection based on that feeling of vulerability.

And Crippen, no Ive not seen that film. But that concept doesnt worry me. Maybe it would to another photographer, I dont know.

Posted 2 Feb 2014
Chandos
Photographer
Chandos
Chris sort of reminds me of folks from the 70s who are more impressionistic on what they see in the cinema particularly horror films that pushed the envelope was considered niche at the time. People these days are generally more exposed or informed and somewhat desensitised by what they see on screen.
Some of the so called "video nasties" banned by the Thatcher government was considered even corrupting the mind during the 80s but compare to now it is so tame you see more frightening shows on the Discovery Channel.

Posted 2 Feb 2014
Edited by Chandos 2 Feb 2014
tonycsm
Photographer
tonycsm
Crippen

Films are not real life. They are just films.

Given the number of people who are virtually addicted to watching certain TV soaps and their reactions to particular story lines, I sometimes wonder if they can truly differentiate between acted out drama and reality? 

Posted 3 Feb 2014
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
A huge number of people have seen Pyscho - most of them still take showers....

Posted 3 Feb 2014
The only negative seeds planted in my mind about modelling were put there by experience.

Posted 3 Feb 2014
Sdeve
Photographer
Sdeve
A significant number of married people have murdered their spouse. There are other reasons not to get married though. A lot of them.
Posted 3 Feb 2014
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Sdeve

A significant number of married people have murdered their spouse.

I thought statistically models (or just women in general) are far more likely to get raped/assaulted/murdered by partners/ex-partners/close friends than a complete stranger.
Posted 3 Feb 2014
PaulManuell
Photographer
PaulManuell
stolenfaces
And an even greater number, I should imagine, have seen Psycho.
Posted 4 Feb 2014
gazbiker
Photographer
gazbiker
Hi Guys and Gals I have dealt with and worked closely with the BBFC who issue the guidelines for all film classification. "I Spit on your grave" was one film that the BBFC banned for quite a number of years, I've not watched it but I understand it has quite sickening violence. As times changed and people became more "desensitised" to this "level" of violence it was eventually released. Quite often I would be trying to get a video production of my own certified as 18 rather than R18 because R18 can only be sold in sex shops. An example of what constituted a levels problem would be say a bondage scene such as hands tied behind the back or a combination of blindfold and hands tied. An argument I once tried to use in attempting to get the classification lowered to 18 was that if they can give "spit on my grave" an 18 certificate why can't my production have an 18? Their is answer was that it is to do with the Genre, "I spit on your grave" is classified as "horror", people who go to the cinema to watch "horror" know what they are letting themselves in for but they know its not true and is purely to scare the pants off you. However "my" genre was "adult themes" and apparently the watcher buy's into the production that it is really what goes on in the bedroom so people will go off and potentially tie their partners hands behind their back or blindfold them which could put that person in danger or cause suffering! A big No No at the BBFC is people suffering but its OK as long as the genre is Horror. The question is, does it make any difference to people what the genre is? or do they get influenced and go off and copy what they've seen anyway? My opinion for what its worth is that I think society has become a dangerous place because of violent films, some sick individuals do watch these films and then believe its Ok to simulate what they have seen but in an age where freedom is king I think its only going to get worse! Nuff said
Posted 4 Feb 2014
tonycsm
Photographer
tonycsm
stolenfaces

That may well be true now as we are de-sensitised to on-screen violence these days but would that be the case over 50 years ago when the film was first released?

When Psycho was first screened, many people fainted or ran from the cinema and yet there was very little actual violence ( relative to today's film offerings) in the infamous shower scene - it was all mostly generated in the mind of the viewer so it's clear that although they knew it to be just a film, it still had a particularly disturbing effect upon a minority of them and for a number of those from what I've subsequently read, it left them with an innate fear of showers, so films can and do influence people's thinking.

Posted 4 Feb 2014
Chandos
Photographer
Chandos
gazbiker
Hi Guys and Gals I have dealt with and worked closely with the BBFC who issue the guidelines for all film classification. "I Spit on your grave" was one film that the BBFC banned for quite a number of years, I've not watched it but I understand it has quite sickening violence. As times changed and people became more "desensitised" to this "level" of violence it was eventually released. Quite often I would be trying to get a video production of my own certified as 18 rather than R18 because R18 can only be sold in sex shops. An example of what constituted a levels problem would be say a bondage scene such as hands tied behind the back or a combination of blindfold and hands tied. An argument I once tried to use in attempting to get the classification lowered to 18 was that if they can give "spit on my grave" an 18 certificate why can't my production have an 18? Their is answer was that it is to do with the Genre, "I spit on your grave" is classified as "horror", people who go to the cinema to watch "horror" know what they are letting themselves in for but they know its not true and is purely to scare the pants off you. However "my" genre was "adult themes" and apparently the watcher buy's into the production that it is really what goes on in the bedroom so people will go off and potentially tie their partners hands behind their back or blindfold them which could put that person in danger or cause suffering! A big No No at the BBFC is people suffering but its OK as long as the genre is Horror. The question is, does it make any difference to people what the genre is? or do they get influenced and go off and copy what they've seen anyway? My opinion for what its worth is that I think society has become a dangerous place because of violent films, some sick individuals do watch these films and then believe its Ok to simulate what they have seen but in an age where freedom is king I think its only going to get worse! Nuff said
Have you tried turning your S&M film into foreign language particularly French? I understand the BBFC are more lenient with controversial themes if they are in a foreign language because the people in the quango thinks you have to be cultured to understand a foreign language and educated enough to behave and not go deranged by watching it. I don't agree with your society being a dangerous place attributed to violent films, that is ********!
Posted 4 Feb 2014
Edited by Chandos 4 Feb 2014
rootofsilence
Photographer
rootofsilence
I'd avoid any photographer who acted as weird as the guys in this movie did.

PS. I'm still trying to work out how they managed to get the girl from New York to Bulgaria without someone asking them 'what's in the box?'

Posted 4 Feb 2014
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join