rates... advice needed

rates... advice needed

20 posts
1 Feb 2014
hi, im a new model (been modelling since december 2013)

i keep getting togs asking me for my rates and so far i have only done 5 TFCD shoots.

what kind of rates should i use?

models/photographers please inbox me. really need some advice. thank you!

Posted 1 Feb 2014
Hi Gabriella,

In my experience , you will only get paid if you take at least some of your clothes off. Amateur photographers just won't pay for clothed modelling & the pro's will want you to be very very special before they hire you.

Posted 1 Feb 2014
ok thank you for your advice.

Posted 1 Feb 2014
Gerry99111
Photographer
Gerry99111
seeryder

Hi Gabriella, In my experience , you will only get paid if you take at least some of your clothes off. Amateur photographers just won't pay for clothed modelling & the pro's will want you to be very very special before they hire you.

She has been offered to be paid already - as long as it is within her levels, all she needs to do is establish how much
Posted 1 Feb 2014
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
I'd ask some models who work similar levels.

You have a good look and I'm sure you'll get paid work at the levels you do work.

Asking togs probably isn't going to help as they sometimes have a biased view.

Posted 1 Feb 2014
Edited by HowardJ 1 Feb 2014
thank you for all your advice! its really appreciated. have a nice rest of the weekend x
Posted 1 Feb 2014
Might be best to start off with a simple "pay" scale rather than complicating things by breaking it down into hours/levels. Maybe something like 4x hours for £50 or £15 per hour - perhaps asking nicely if you can get a picture or two for the portfolio as well. Remember though when being paid the photographer doesn't have to supply images, so technically unless otherwise stated once the shoot is over then the photographer has no obligation to send you anything - so if you move to "paid work only" your portfolio may suffer because of this.

Also remember and sign up to be self employed on the hmrc website - better to be on the right side of the law, no matter how littler you might make at first its best to be registered and doing things by the book.

Good luck

Posted 1 Feb 2014
ploggy
Photographer
ploggy
HowardJ

I'd ask some models who work similar levels. You have a good look and I'm sure you'll get paid work at the levels you do work. Asking togs probably isn't going to help as they sometimes have a biased view.

You may find that human nature being what it is, some models would lie about how much they actually make, not wanting to admit that modelling isn't going to make them rich overnight as they may have bragged to their friends etc? There is also the aspect, that they would lie to a new model asking advice, not wishing to give an advantage to what is in effect the opposition? After all, if you can get the newbies to charge too much, then the work is going to stay with you?
How many times have we heard, when given an inflated rate  "Another, very experienced model advised me what I should be charging"?
Decide what you are willing to work for and go for it, your level of work offers will tell you if you have got it right or not?

Posted 2 Feb 2014
MightyWhite
Photographer
MightyWhite
Obviously not what she wanted to hear (she has now left the site).

I am often amazed at the number of girls who come on here to ask a question but then quickly disappear afterwards.

Posted 3 Feb 2014
Gerry99111
Photographer
Gerry99111
MightyWhite

Obviously not what she wanted to hear (she has now left the site). I am often amazed at the number of girls who come on here to ask a question but then quickly disappear afterwards.

May well be nothing to do with her post.

Many models get swamped by chancers and level pushers when they join and if I was guessing, I would think that a far more likely scenario
Posted 3 Feb 2014
MadMod
Make Up Artist
MadMod
Jumping to conclusions can sometimes lead to a fall.
The topic starter has not left Purestorm but has closed her account to change username.
Posted 3 Feb 2014
scubie
Photographer
scubie
seeryder

Hi Gabriella, In my experience , you will only get paid if you take at least some of your clothes off. Amateur photographers just won't pay for clothed modelling & the pro's will want you to be very very special before they hire you.

This is obviously not true, I always pay and am quite happy to shoot fashio/headshots most of the time.
Doug
Posted 3 Feb 2014
digimarx
Photographer
digimarx
MightyWhite
Obviously not what she wanted to hear (she has now left the site). I am often amazed at the number of girls who come on here to ask a question but then quickly disappear afterwards.
Due to some crass answers like "You only get paid to take your clothes off or unless you're someone they are looking for" etc... I think some people should really think before they answer EDIT: Oh apparently the model has changed her name on here
Posted 3 Feb 2014
Edited by digimarx 3 Feb 2014
Gerry99111

May well be nothing to do with her post.

Many models get swamped by chancers and level pushers when they join and if I was guessing, I would think that a far more likely scenario

Yep, a much as people want to blame flakey, wannabe models, it seems more common to be things like feeling uncomfortable with the reality of the situation;dealing with such close ties to the adult community, NOT normal to those coming in from the outside,  having to deal with unprofessional situations that they aren't used to having to put up with, being overcome with unsuitable offers, leading them to believe they have gone about things the wrong way, being told they are unsuited to modelling, and not uncommonly being encouraged to work TFP to build up a portfolio and then not recieving images for a shoot.

The attitudes these days seems to be newbies should be chucked in the deep end and then berated if they drown.
Admin edit [please read "Mad Mods" post above]
Posted 3 Feb 2014
Edited by Jacqui 3 Feb 2014
tarmoo
Photographer
tarmoo
MadMod

Jumping to conclusions can sometimes lead to a fall.
The topic starter has not left Purestorm but has closed her account to change username.

See http://www.purestorm.com/bellajackson93
Posted 3 Feb 2014
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join