Help please?

9 posts
29 Jan 2014
Bob
Photographer
Bob
I can't decide which version works better. Anyone care to throw in their tuppenceworth?

Model : jitka

Thanks
Bob
Posted 29 Jan 2014
w4pictures
Photographer
w4pictures
I like the B&W but the colour version gives the model more separation from the pillar. I would be inclined to darken the pillar behind the model and use the B&W version.

Posted 29 Jan 2014
Paul_Jones
Photographer
Paul_Jones
I often have the same issue, Bob.

Of the two images posted I prefer the black and white.

Best regards
Paul

Posted 29 Jan 2014
zanussi
Photographer
zanussi
Black and White, the shot has a vintage feel which is enhanced by the grey tone shot.

Posted 29 Jan 2014
StNeots
Photographer
StNeots
The colour one is a bit flat and lacking in contrast, which is there in the mono image.
I'd be inclined to use the colour one but adjust the levels and maybe darken the pillar as suggeted by the first reply so that she stands out more from her surroundings.
Posted 29 Jan 2014
Bob
Photographer
Bob
Thanks for the input. My original intent was to go greyscale - the shot was sparked after we had dinner the previous night in the restaurant in Shepherd Market that Garbo used to frequent when in London and which has loads of her pictures on the walls - but when I looked at the colour version of this shot I began to have doubts. I also considered monotone/sepia, rather than greyscale, but I don't think that worked. Maybe I should go down the duotone route instead.

Jitka prefers greyscale, so that's probably what I'll stick with.

Bob
Posted 30 Jan 2014
Edited by Bob 30 Jan 2014
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
It looks quite different (and in my opinion better) if you crop it tighter. The bit of bay window and the writing on the arch spoil the composition, but also add unnecessary highlights and shadow detail.

Posted 30 Jan 2014
redbaron
Photographer
redbaron
I normally prefer B&W but on this one the colour seems to work better for me. I think it is because the colour balance on the model and pillar are much cooler than the yellowish background which helps to draw the focus in to her.

Posted 30 Jan 2014
in the black and white photo the girls body shape stands out more against the column, so you look at the model, then the background, not the background first!

Posted 31 Jan 2014
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join