wacom graphics tablets - educate me

wacom graphics tablets - educate me

15 posts
25 Jan 2014
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
I'm looking to buy a graphics tablet primarily for photo editing. I've been looking at the Wacom Intuos and Bamboo tablets. Other than the size are there any significant differences between the two?

Thanks

Posted 25 Jan 2014
nige_nw
Photographer
nige_nw
Can't help with the comparison or anything to do with intuos but I have found the bamboo fun that I got a few years ago  really great. I only use it as a basic tablet with the supplied pen but I find it so much better than a mouse & would not like to be without it. It does have a few customisable buttons but I have not bothered with the those. The central scroll button is quite useful.

I am not sure if it is the intuos range but I did see a web demo some time back of which allows hand gestures which I guess may be useful for really heavy editors but to others I am not too sure how useful.
Posted 25 Jan 2014
Edited by nige_nw 25 Jan 2014
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
I'm just comparing the prices of the Bamboo and the Intuos on Amazon and the product details on Wacom's own website. The pics of the Bamboo on the Wacom site don't seem to match with the ones shown on Amazon. The Intuos seems to come out cheaper than the Bamboo yet its a bigger tablet, which sounds odd to me.

Posted 25 Jan 2014
tarmoo
Photographer
tarmoo
My advice would be to get an Intuos 5 Small.

I have a Intuos 4 Medium, but I think most people would find the Small one is all they need.

Posted 25 Jan 2014
frankpht
Photographer
frankpht
The Bamboo is no longer made and I have no experience with them. I've got a large intuos 3 of which I love. Though I would really love a Intuos 5 don't know why.

Posted 26 Jan 2014
Edited by frankpht 25 Jan 2014
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
frankpht
The Bamboo is no longer made and I have no experience with them. I've got a large intuos 3 of which I love. Though I would really love a Intuos 5 don't know why.
well they still sell something called the bamboo but it's a different design than the thing you see listed on amazon under that name.
Posted 26 Jan 2014
RupertRudd
Photographer
RupertRudd
I have both a Bamboo and an Ituos 4.
I cannot imagine life without my Wacoms for photo editing.

Much prefer the larger Intuos and only use the Bamboo for travelling with a laptop.
Seriously recommend the Intuos but do check you have 15 X 10 inches of desktop space avialable for it on the side of your working hand. The Intuos has some extra features over the Bamboo but this are not that sigmificant, I don't use them.

Posted 26 Jan 2014
frankpht
Photographer
frankpht
HowardJ

well they still sell something called the bamboo but it's a different design than the thing you see listed on amazon under that name.

Just checked myself and you're right but I don't think the Bamboo tablet is an editing tool  as was.   if I were you I'd be careful on what you buy.  You can pick up an old bamdoo for editing but the Intuos small tablets are reasonable prices.   I'd go for one of them.
Posted 26 Jan 2014
theperfectgentleman
Photographer
theperfectge..
I have two bamboo tablets that I use with both my desktop and laptop for photo editing plus everything else,
don't use a mouse for anything.

Posted 26 Jan 2014
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
theperfectgentleman
I have two bamboo tablets that I use with both my desktop and laptop for photo editing plus everything else, don't use a mouse for anything.
Are yours the old style bamboo or the new bamboo touch pad type? It looks like they've reused the bamboo name for a different product now. see the shop section on Wacom.com to see what I mean.
Posted 26 Jan 2014
Glossypinklipstick
Photographer
Glossypinkli..
I have an Intuous 4 which was recommended by an outstanding photogrpaher. it has made a massive difference to my workflow and is fully customiseable. I have no space so it sits ontop of my laptop keyboard and I use it from there. It is an outstanding piece of kit and i got it from amazon when they knocked another £100 off it. Google Scott Kelby he is a trainer and photographer and i use his settings which you can download and save and then i tweaked it for myself. You will not go back to a mouse for shopping, although i still find I prefer a mouse to surf etc.

Posted 27 Jan 2014
theperfectgentleman
Photographer
theperfectge..
HowardJ

Are yours the old style bamboo or the new bamboo touch pad type? It looks like they've reused the bamboo name for a different product now. see the shop section on Wacom.com to see what I mean.

I dont know all I can say is the one that I use on my desk top is about three years old, and the other is a different style and was bought early last year.

Posted 27 Jan 2014
Edited by theperfectgentleman 27 Jan 2014
frankpht
Photographer
frankpht
theperfectgentleman

I dont know all I can say is the one that I use on my desk top is about three years old, and the other is a different style and was bought early last year.

If you could go to the Wacom site and have a look at the latest Bamboos.  They do look very different to the former models.  You will put the OPs mind at rest.  As I get the feeling from the latest versions that they are no more than a pad and a  pen for simple navication. 
Posted 28 Jan 2014
theperfectgentleman
Photographer
theperfectge..
Hi
I have just looked on the site and it's a different model than mind.
I also looked at the pc world site and the latest bamboo and another were there both at just under£60.
I would go in and get them to demonstrate them to you, that way you can try them out and know what you are getting.
I would go at about 6 on a weekday evening, it's quiet and staff are normaly standing about so will give you the time that you neeed.
good luck, wish you good light.
Tom
Posted 29 Jan 2014
Edited by theperfectgentleman 28 Jan 2014
riddell
Photographer
riddell

The intous range is for professional photo editing whereas the bamboo was a much more basic tablet, less accurate, less sensitivity.

Paul
www.photographybyriddell.co.uk

Posted 3 Feb 2014
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join