Havn't logged in to this site in a while now i see why it seems it has...

Havn't logged in to this site in a while now i see why it seems it has died a death ?

178 posts
21 Jan 2014
Iconic
Photographer
Iconic
last time i logged in i sent about 5 or 6 mails regarding shoot's to local models not 1 single reply - not only that but other models i have been talking to or have on my to work with list have in the last month or so dissapeared of this site so whats going down? is the moderation that tight that its squeezing its membership away ?

Posted 22 Jan 2014
Gerry99111
Photographer
Gerry99111
The moderation recently on the forums has been helpful and very restrained. I am not aware of issues outside the forum but then I don't try and break the rules.

Have you other contact details for the models to find out why?
Are these serious models you were messaging
Do you know whether the models were unhappy with approaches they get from chancers and decided to leave [that is the one I hear about the most]

Posted 22 Jan 2014
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
It's basically a case of everyone being under the belief that Purpleport is the only place to be for many models and many are simply ignoring or shutting down their accounts here.

If they don't want to come here then it's their loss as there are many of us still here looking to book them.

Posted 22 Jan 2014
Ive noticed its died. Despite castings im getting very little interest and this used to be where I got all my shoots
Posted 22 Jan 2014
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
There's also the economy to consider on both sides of the lens. Amateur photographers will be feeling the pinch and will be cutting back with their hobby and models as such will suffer and perhaps look for a more stable form of employment.

Posted 22 Jan 2014
PeterH
Photographer
PeterH
Gerry99111

The moderation recently on the forums has been helpful and very restrained.

Too little too late though, it would seem.

Posted 22 Jan 2014
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
PeterH
I'm not clear how forum moderation directly or indirectly links to models coming and going on the site. It has always been the way that models come and go. Whether or not models are interested in Iconic's offer doesn't really mean much. Any established and serious model is going to maintain profiles on more than one modelling site so those that have actually closed their profile here have probably really retired.
Posted 22 Jan 2014
Edited by stolenfaces 22 Jan 2014
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
PeterH

And moderation on the other site is SOOOOO neutral and restrained
Posted 22 Jan 2014
ziggypot
Photographer
ziggypot
RedChecker

There's also the economy to consider on both sides of the lens. Amateur photographers will be feeling the pinch and will be cutting back with their hobby and models as such will suffer and perhaps look for a more stable form of employment.

Totally agree. I think you will find that the £200 benchmark day rate will get seriously eroded over this year.
Posted 22 Jan 2014
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Interestingly though I've seen a lot of models putting prices up in recent months. I don't know whether this is chancing it out of sheer desparation or perhaps a key few are surprisingly busy and can afford to up them.

Either way, I certainly haven't got the money to throw on shoots like I used to.

Posted 22 Jan 2014
anthonyh
Photographer
anthonyh
Personally I think Purpleport looks the better site for new models because the quality of its FPIs is very good so for a model that would imply the site has better photographers. That is not just my opinion on how models think...two models I know personally have said the same. Whether we are right or not doesn't matter if that is a general perception...and perception is important in a world that is (theoretically) focused on image creation!! That aside...net-Model seems to hang on in there and it obviously has no interest in its image!!
Posted 22 Jan 2014
magpie1
Photographer
magpie1
stolenfaces
[It has always been the way that models come and go. Whether or not models are interested in Iconic's offer doesn't really mean much. Any established and serious model is going to maintain profiles on more than one modelling site so those that have actually closed their profile here have probably really retired.]
Agree, the majority of models on most sites are usually on free or minimum memberships, many of whom clearly believe they can make 'a few bob' they are often unrealistic about what's involved and, sadly also vulnerable to approaches from GWC's, to be kind. When reality sets in many go inactive or off radar. PP as a ' new kid on the block' initially succeeds on sign ups but again mostly free profiles and, certainly in my experience, the majority are inactive, ' last logged in 6 months ago" etc. and model friends of mine, who talk among themselves, report much of PP shoots are TF, Much of the quietness is economy related, despite bullish rhetoric things are tight as hell, for most people I know, including me.
Posted 22 Jan 2014
Edited by magpie1 22 Jan 2014
scubie
Photographer
scubie
I still think there are a few hidden gems on this site, but if like me you stay in the shadows and are not one one of the chosen few, it's hard to find them. Some are not that keen on working, I had long discussion with model lately, this was for a paid shoot, after discussing all details and arrangements to both our agreement, She said "Oh your too far away" this despite paid travel--- she was less than 1/2hr away. Perhaps my work is that crappy
Posted 22 Jan 2014
jivago
Photographer
jivago
anthonyh

Personally I think Purpleport looks the better site for new models because the quality of its FPIs is very good 

Unable to concur with you there I am afraid - Over profusion of the use of certain 'trendy filters' and of photoshop. I was in Urban Outfitters recently and there was a book called 'Photo-Crafty' or something? -  Reminded me of many of the FPI's on there - 'Art and Craft fair at a Local Art College'?. Unsure about the judging also?

Too much self congratulatory hubris and 'Face-Book noise' on that site for me at this stage.

Posted 22 Jan 2014
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictu..
Moderators here appear moderate to me, and less sinister than elsewhere in at least one instance.

As for failures to reply. Its a fact of forum life.
Your ports looking cool BTW.

Posted 22 Jan 2014
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join