Inkflow systems.

12 posts
15 Jan 2014
mamamiya
Photographer
mamamiya
Hello, I would be interested to learn of any members' experience with inkflow systems, and in particular Permajet. The printing learning curve goes on
Posted 15 Jan 2014
Spike
Photographer
Spike
Look at Marrutt/lyson great products & support.

Tried other's & had problems.

Posted 16 Jan 2014
DKirk
Photographer
DKirk
No major problems with Permajet on an R2880, just need to make sure you print something regularly otherwise the heads tend to clog. Also be careful with the installation, the ink tubes can get nicked on the black plastic carrier you also install to support them. You'll get great results on their FB papers and Fotospeed Platinum Baryta.

Posted 16 Jan 2014
anthonyh
Photographer
anthonyh
I think it will partly depend on your printer. For example, I use a Canon Pro9000 mk2 with German OCP inks and I refill the OEM carts......dead easy and my ink costs are about 10% that of using OEM carts. I also have a R2880 using OEM carts and I am currently researching an alternative and will definitely go for refillables again. I tried CIS units in the past with a R1800....they worked ok but probably no cheaper than refillables. Also, I didn't really like the printer lid being open, the tubes and bottles everywhere but had my environment been different and I anticipated long print runs a CIS would be a stronger contender. I have looked at several inks and cart suppliers...Marrutt inks seem ok for the R2880 but still thinking about some American made inks as well. Am even thinking of buying Epson 220ml carts and decanting the ink!!
Posted 16 Jan 2014
mamamiya
Photographer
mamamiya
Thanks Spike, DKirk and anthonyh, all useful stuff. Much appreciated.Jonathan

Posted 16 Jan 2014
JeromeRazoir
Photographer
JeromeRazoir
Fotospeed rather than Permajet.

Fotospeed are a more user friendly company. I have used Fotospeed papers, free paper profiles and Fotospeed inkflow systems for some years and never had much in the way of problems.

Posted 16 Jan 2014
mamamiya
Photographer
mamamiya
Thanks Jerome, I will have a look at Fotospeed , Best JP

Posted 16 Jan 2014
Photoimager
Photographer
Photoimager
If you are selling the prints it is sensible to only use longevity tested pigment inks. Permajet are for the printers that are covered. Lyson / Marrutt and Fotospeed - I think I recall seeing that they have been tested and certified.

Posted 16 Jan 2014
anthonyh
Photographer
anthonyh
Lyson and Marrutt inks are the same ink....for some reason the Lyson name costs more.

Before anyone questions this, I was in contact with the company last week inquiring which was the better ink for my R2880 and received this reply.

"The only difference between the Marrutt and Lyson inksets is where they are made. The Lyson inks are manufactured in the UK, the Marrutt Inks are manufactured in the US.

Both the Marrutt and Lyson inks are as good as the genuine Epson inks in terms of colour accuracy, black & white performance and longevity."

Posted 17 Jan 2014
mamamiya
Photographer
mamamiya
many thanks guys for the lateset posts as well. All very useful...I WILL get there..
Posted 17 Jan 2014
riddell
Photographer
riddell

I used one and when it worked it was excellent, but it was very problematic. Lots of time consuming babysitting the printer when I was doing huge runs.

Then when I started getting complaints from customers as to the quality I switched to using a pro lab.

Cost is only marginally higher, but no complaints and much less time consuming. Plus the pro lab prints look better anyway.

Based on my experience it probably still worth it for large runs of draft and stationary, but then its debatable because you can buy cartridges super cheap of the internet and for that sort of work colours and longetivity don't matter anyway.

Paul
www.photographybyriddell.co.uk

Posted 20 Jan 2014
mamamiya
Photographer
mamamiya
Many thanks to all for the feedback and advice, very helpful. JP

Posted 10 Feb 2014
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join