Models...When applying for a casting....

Models...When applying for a casting....

34 posts
8 Jan 2014
barone
Photographer
barone
....How many of you bring more than a one word reply & yourself to the table? Photographers...What are your expectations?
Posted 8 Jan 2014
mph
Photographer
mph
I expect when I get a reply which says "intrsted" - that I won't be!
Posted 8 Jan 2014
I usually say a little bit about my self, experience, where I'm based if having to travel and my way of transport and what I can offer to the casting, why I feel I would be suitable, answer any questions in the casting and I look forward to hearing from them Erm anything I've missed? x
Posted 8 Jan 2014
Oh yes and also if I've worked with them before I say "oi you, you remember me?" Funny enough I don't normally get a reply from that x
Posted 8 Jan 2014
paulbatterbury
Photographer
paulbatterbury
I applied for a load of jobs over the Christmas period, just by sending the companies a letter, no CV or introduction, just simply "Interested"...

There is a balanced reply, clearly "interested" simply doesn't cut it, if you where, you would write a bit more, then their are those few that go to the far extreme and flood you with information, to much information can causes a person to switch off.

A few paragraphs, not a life story, and normally when I offer a job, it means I already know how much you going to pay, so I don't need to be told the models their rates, as in reality, some models' rates and very ambitions and some models are rejected at the casting stage. And really if you "Love to work with me" then you would either book and pay me yourself, or come over and work for free...

With a casting, I post up the "requirements" but I often get message who feel these are "options" and when I say no for whatever reasons, I have in the pasted been questioned why or hassled.

If a model is not going to sell, or does not match the requirements then I would be out of pocket shooting them.

you would purposely by yourself a coat that is too small, yet many people think photographers would sell themselves short, and I sorry I really feel that I bent over backwards to many times in the past just to have model push me to just over that line, as I sure many other have. We always here how hard done by models are, and yes there are times when model are treated unfairly, but it normally the photographers that have more to lose, and that is why we do castings and ask other for references.

Posted 8 Jan 2014
mph
Photographer
mph
xxmrmthxx

I usually say a little bit about my self, experience, where I'm based if having to travel and my way of transport and what I can offer to the casting, why I feel I would be suitable, answer any questions in the casting and I look forward to hearing from them Erm anything I've missed? x

"Answer questions in the casting"?

You'll never get on - that's not the way it is done!  surprise
Posted 8 Jan 2014
barone
Photographer
barone
xxmrmthxx
8/10...always room for improvement, but it's a good start....
Posted 8 Jan 2014
mph

"Answer questions in the casting"?

You'll never get on - that's not the way it is done!  surprise

Dam there goes my modelling lol x
Posted 8 Jan 2014
barone

8/10...always room for improvement, but it's a good start....

What else is there? I think I do ok as usually get the casting but sometimes writting on my phone it decides to re open the page so I try and do as much as possible in a small amount of time lol x
Posted 8 Jan 2014
barone
Photographer
barone
Sorry....I may not of expressed myself correctly.....I'm more interested in , if models bring more to the table than themselves....eg a makeup artist, a hairstylist, clothing, props, etc, etc.
Posted 8 Jan 2014
Oh well that's included in about me bit. I offer my local studio as the rate is the same as just my usual rate (have a great deal with them and drop my rate), my MUA/ friend if I feel it goes with the casting and always say what props and clothes I have even if it's mainly a nude shoot as 9/10 they will want some sort of clothing Phew I think I make that to 9/10 now x
Posted 8 Jan 2014
Socialdisaster
Photographer
Socialdisaster
If it's along the lines of "hey huun intrsd in ur cc" then I bin it especially as when I place a casting I always, always, ask for rates / etc to be included in the first emails. It's just proof they haven't read / can't approach professionally.

Basically, just an email that shows they've read the casting and maybe glanced at my port.

Posted 8 Jan 2014
Amber6
Model
Amber6
Yes! I'm usually pretty good at this (or I try to be) and I do say more than a one word reply. I try to address whoever it is by name (if that's available to me), talk about myself i.e. past experience, answer questions in casting. I mention wardrobe/location ideas if they are relevant. To be fair, I'm an incredibly fast typer, so all of that probably takes me a lot less than most people.
Posted 8 Jan 2014
Cody
Model
Cody
I have a good place to shoot from but don't mention it unless they are specifically looking for a place .Maybe I should
I can do my makeup to a good standard and have some props etc. It has made me think as I dont always include this information....it depends on the casting really
Posted 8 Jan 2014
Edited by Cody 8 Jan 2014
mph
Photographer
mph
Cody

I have a good place to shoot from but don't mention it unless they are specifically looking for a place .Maybe I should
I can do my makeup to a good standard and have some props etc. It has made me think as I dont always include this information....it depends on the casting really

Worth mentioning both if you are happy to do so.  cheeky
Posted 8 Jan 2014
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join