'It can be 50 - 60 or even 70 shoots before you can even think of gett...

'It can be 50 - 60 or even 70 shoots before you can even think of getting paid for work'

33 posts
5 Jan 2014
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictu..
I just saw this somewhere on the site, given as advice to new models. I won't reveal where or by whom.

Can I suggest, for the benefit of new models, that if you need 50 shoots before anyone pays you, something is seriously weird? While I'm a big fan of TF shoots, the point of these is to work with people of sufficient standard to enhance your portfolio, in turn this will attract paid work (it's hoped)

I've seen a few models portfolio's develop in the time I've been here and elsewhere, and its pretty normal for a new model to spend about 6 months really getting her act together, at which time she'll have (if she's worked well) an excellent port. Often it's a shorter time, and it's even possible for one seriously impressive picture to kick start a decent second income in modelling.

Nobody likes to be told to work for free indefinitely, and often those who suggest it have least to offer.

Posted 5 Jan 2014
I agree - I always find it hilarious when models post asking for advice on how to get paid work and the inevitable answer is ALWAYS "do TF and lots of it". No doubt then followed up by an inbox message from whoever posted, offering TF!

I was offered paid work within my stated levels as soon as I joined the site - probably only done 2 TF shoots in my whole life and, depending what you're into, I've done pretty well carving myself out a name in modelling.

Posted 5 Jan 2014
mph
Photographer
mph
I thought for a moment you were talking about photographers!
Posted 5 Jan 2014
mph
Photographer
mph
jessicard

I was offered paid work within my stated levels as soon as I joined the site.............

You mean you weren't even prepared to do 50 adult shoots TF?  Shame on you! smiley
Posted 5 Jan 2014
paulford
Photographer
paulford
Sound like someone trying to get 50-60-70 shoots for free!

Posted 5 Jan 2014
tarmoo
Photographer
tarmoo
One Kent model did 200 TF shoots up to nude with the same photographer before putting up a casting for paid work. Maybe he kept telling her she was not ready.
Posted 5 Jan 2014
paulford
Photographer
paulford
tarmoo
One Kent model did 200 TF shoots up to nude with the same photographer before putting up a casting for paid work. Maybe he kept telling her she was not ready.
Did she get 200 for her trouble?
Posted 5 Jan 2014
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictu..
Jesus wept, that's not a TF shoot, that's a cat scan surely?

Posted 5 Jan 2014
para
Photographer
para
I'm of the opinion,if a girl is worth shooting then she's worth paying.

To me for some girls,TFP can be detrimental.The big guns on here,the chaps who actually can get girls published,I'm sure can recognise that a girl has potential.They don't need to see images by other photographers.

Who would want to be Photographer 71 and have to dip into your wallet

Posted 5 Jan 2014
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictu..
para
I'm of the opinion,if a girl is worth shooting then she's worth paying. To me for some girls,TFP can be detrimental.The big guns on here,the chaps who actually can get girls published,I'm sure can recognise that a girl has potential.They don't need to see images by other photographers. Who would want to be Photographer 71 and have to dip into your wallet
Given the number of models who's feedback exceeds 71, lots of photographers would be happy to shoot a successful and popular model irrespective of who may have done so before. Not that I'm suggesting you infer this in your point, but the 'new meat' and the 'trophy' shooter aren't the most desirable photographer types. Equally, the logic fails if we consider celebrities who are photographed endlessly and still attract more attention. An example, more local to here, would be Ivory Flame, as you said in the first sentence, worth shooting, worth paying. I expect that would have been true on day one of her career too.
Posted 5 Jan 2014
jes
Model
jes
I did one Tf shoot and then started to get paid.  You will find it's the photographers who never want to pay who suggest models undertake lots of Tf shoots before they are worthy of payment.

Posted 5 Jan 2014
Bob
Photographer
Bob
profilepictures

It can be 50 - 60 or even 70 shoots before you can even think of getting paid for work

For some who describe themselves on t'internet as being a model - e.g. those talentless short and obese people with a complexion like pizza that has fallen upside down on a carpet who only wish to shoot fashion* - that statement is probably just a simple fact of life. Working for a long period without payment is also a fact of life for many of those who wish to  establish themselves in many careers / professions / disciplines / vocations which are not based predominantly on looks and body attributes, though if they have the talent and brains to succeed in their chosen field and can stay the course these people will probably generate several times the minimum hourly rate once they have served their time.
Bob

*excluding those willing to bare baps & flaps for anyone who comes along waving a handful of fivers.

Posted 5 Jan 2014
Plymjack
Photographer
Plymjack
I have always told any prospective model that she needs to do 2 or 3 TF shoots - clothed and swimwear and then she will know if she can or she cant..

Several models have been told by "better" photographers then me that they need to do 3 or 4 tf art nude shoots to "understand" what is required! COMPLETE BS!

Posted 5 Jan 2014
Gerry99111
Photographer
Gerry99111
Telling someone to do x shots of TF is controlling.

Suggesting that someone may try at some point to get a particular style and quality of pictures in their portfolio to widen their appeal is being helpful.

Getting those pictures and experience may well require TF unless they are so striking that perhaps the advice should be get yourself in front of an agency ASAP and give T'Internet a wide berth.

It is completely wrong to suggest any model needs x shoots of TF UNLESS they are purely in it for the creativity and don't need the cash at all. Paid experience and satisfying a paying customer is valuable experience and the sooner you can do that, the more rounded you become.

Unfortunately, behind every new and attractive model, often lurks one or more controlling photographers looking to posses this person for themselves

Posted 5 Jan 2014
When I was new I didn't have a wardrobe together, my facial expressions were a bit hit and miss and I didn't know how to make the best out of the lighting setups in studios. I could tell I was ready when people were offering me paid work and I got the hang of what to do - people learn at different rates and 2 shoots with a great photographer is better than 20 shoots with someone who doesn't know how to direct or who's work isn't that good. we all learn at different rates so to say do x many shoots is unhelpful. Several photographers turned me down / ignored my message when I was new and asking for tf, to turn round a few months later and ask to work with me. You can guess my answer! It's your look and experience, that makes an amazing photo. Some photographers can't direct models so no matter what you look like they only want to pay experienced models.

Posted 5 Jan 2014
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join