Model's Manager attending Shoot

Model's Manager attending Shoot

27 posts
28 Dec 2013
IRONBLOKEMAN
Photographer
IRONBLOKEMAN
This is a new one to me. In the past I have not objected to a chaperone attending a shoot providing they do not interfere. Have any photographers come across this situation. I appreciate some models do have managers but do they really need to be on the shoot. Most of my work is outdoor location in remote locations to which the model is made aware of when I commission a shoot.
Posted 28 Dec 2013
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
I guess its a newbie model and she has asked for someone to accompany her. Make use of them as an assistant.

Posted 28 Dec 2013
magpie1
Photographer
magpie1
HowardJ
[I guess its a newbie model and she has asked for someone to accompany her. Make use of them as an assistant. ]
Yes, give them your bag to carry, they've probably got the models bag as well, and keep them permanently occupied with a reflector.
Posted 28 Dec 2013
IainT
Photographer
IainT
IRONBLOKEMAN
This is a new one to me. In the past I have not objected to a chaperone attending a shoot providing they do not interfere. Have any photographers come across this situation. I appreciate some models do have managers but do they really need to be on the shoot. Most of my work is outdoor location in remote locations to which the model is made aware of when I commission a shoot.
Internet models don't need managers. A "model manager" is another term for a boyfriend who wants to be "involved" in the models career or is pimping them out. The minute I hear the term "manager" at internet level...I imediately think...mmmm...thats one to be avoided. And as for dealing with "model managers", not only would I not have them anywhere near a shoot, I would not knowingly have any dealings with them at all.
Posted 28 Dec 2013
JeromeRazoir
Photographer
JeromeRazoir
IainT

Internet models don't need managers. A "model manager" is another term for a boyfriend who wants to be "involved" in the models career or is pimping them out. The minute I hear the term "manager" at internet level...I imediately think...mmmm...thats one to be avoided. And as for dealing with "model managers", not only would I not have them anywhere near a shoot, I would not knowingly have any dealings with them at all.

ABSO-BLOODY-LUTELY!!! The words, "My manager", scream, "I do not know what I am talking about but me an' my bloke are bloody pretentious."
Posted 28 Dec 2013
Gerry99111
Photographer
Gerry99111
IainT

+1
You may even find the model manager is the one you have been communicating with! Models often seem to let these individuals control their lives. Potentially, you have arranged a shoot and having someone on and potentially controlling the shoot who you know virtually nothing about other than you were attracted by the models pictures

Most managers I have heard about are controlling boyfriends or some creepy photographer who is mentoring his prized possession.

Mo way springs to mind
Posted 28 Dec 2013
Edited by Gerry99111 28 Dec 2013
ScottishGeek
Photographer
ScottishGeek
One word:- "Next!"

Posted 28 Dec 2013
TheShinyOne
Photographer
TheShinyOne
Another word for boyfriend or chaperone. Personally, I'd look elsewhere.

Posted 28 Dec 2013
IRONBLOKEMAN
Photographer
IRONBLOKEMAN
Thanks for the advice. I was going to say no to the manager being present. Was interested to see if any of you had had this experience

Posted 28 Dec 2013
jpv
Photographer
jpv
I've come across this a couple of times and I always (enthusiastically) ask for a list of the managers other clients so that I can check up on their agency and registration. It has always gone quiet at this point.

Posted 28 Dec 2013
Crippen
Photographer
Crippen
Hang on everyone. - I caught five minutes of some terrible pranked/candid camera type TV show yesterday, where Helen Flanagan went along to a photo shoot with her manager (a middle aged woman). Okay, so Miss Flanagan isn't a proper model (nor a proper actress) but probably earns considerably more money than most of us on here.

It does happen, and it's not always a sign of amateurism.

Dave

Posted 28 Dec 2013
Gerry99111
Photographer
Gerry99111
That will be an agent which most actors and actresses have to get them work in TV & Theatre. It is not quite the same as looking up an internet site to get two or three shoots a week. If a model doesn't have the initiative to do that, I would be worried about what she would be like on the shoot.

Most of them on here are a controlling boyfriend or photographer and I would work on that basis until they proved otherwise, particularly as they are likely the ones sending the messages and not the model

Posted 28 Dec 2013
Keltica
Photographer
Keltica
Sounds like a boyfriend previously mentioned, or the model is guillable enough to believe that she needs a manager.

Yes those that have a capacity to earn lots do have managers or PR companies behind them but tell the "manager" to jump off the end of the Arkle.

Posted 28 Dec 2013
MG
Photographer
MG
When I photograph a new model for the first time and I'm unsure if I can trust her I always ask my 'Manager' to be present just in case they need to manage anything
Posted 28 Dec 2013
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictu..
Maybe they just don't fancy working with you and would rather not say 'chaperone' out loud? Either way, the ball's in your court, why ask the question?

Posted 28 Dec 2013
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join