Stupid idea?

14 posts
19 Dec 2013
silverk
Photographer
silverk
I have had a really stupid, nay, crazy idea! What if, say a few or even a group of photographers in the same area get together and network. I was thinking, you know, about helping out each other in marketing, lighting techniques, business promotion, collaboration to enhance profitability that sort of thing?

Course we could just forget about that and just use the forums for bitching but if you are interested in my idea then email me direct.

Posted 19 Dec 2013
Socialdisaster
Photographer
Socialdisast..
isnt that what all the localised meets, studio days, workshops and so on, are for?

Posted 19 Dec 2013
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
If people in reality are anything like the moaning old hags you get on the forums on a daily basis then no, it's not a good idea.

Posted 19 Dec 2013
Kiboko
Photographer
Kiboko
RedChecker

If people in reality are anything like the moaning old hags you get on the forums on a daily basis then no, it's not a good idea.

+1

Posted 19 Dec 2013
Rawandthecooked
Photographer
Rawandthecoo..
If you made it a profoto appreciation group, I am sure Red checker would join in a precise flash!

Posted 20 Dec 2013
silverk
Photographer
silverk
Rawandthecooked
If you made it a profoto appreciation group, I am sure Red checker would join in a precise flash!
Perhaps if you stopped sniping at other members and concentrated on your own business you might not get negative feedback. When you look at the scores Red Checker has 32 positive and no negatives and yours are? Perhaps being a member of a profoto appreciation group might be something you want to consider?
Posted 20 Dec 2013
Paul_Jones
Photographer
Paul_Jones
silverk

I have had a really stupid, nay, crazy idea! What if, say a few or even a group of photographers in the same area get together and network. I was thinking, you know, about helping out each other in marketing, lighting techniques, business promotion, collaboration to enhance profitability that sort of thing? Course we could just forget about that and just use the forums for bitching but if you are interested in my idea then email me direct.

It's not such a crazy idea.  I regularly meet up with photographers who share similar interests.

Best regards
Paul

Posted 20 Dec 2013
pinkbuildingphotography
Photographer
pinkbuilding..
If you ever come up to the frozen wastes of Scotland we do this with the SCN.
Usually a lot of fun.

Posted 20 Dec 2013
Rawandthecooked
Photographer
Rawandthecoo..
silverk
Perhaps if you stopped sniping at other members and concentrated on your own business you might not get negative feedback. When you look at the scores Red Checker has 32 positive and no negatives and yours are? Perhaps being a member of a profoto appreciation group might be something you want to consider?
Thank you for your input, (not) in my experience Red Checker is perfectly able to look after himself, and is indeed a profoto fan. I have one negative reference, which frankly I see no reason to defend. I fail to see what business it is of yours.As I am an elinchrom man myself,I fail to see why I would be interested in profoto appreciation. Are you judge and jury on this site, and what,precisely, are you inferring?
Posted 21 Dec 2013
Edited by Rawandthecooked 21 Dec 2013
theperfectgentleman
Photographer
theperfectge..
RedChecker

can you put that mirror away.

Posted 21 Dec 2013
StreetModel
Photographer
StreetModel
It reminds me of when I used to teach computer courses. The trainers used to ask the delegates NOT to ask their peers for help, especially with questions to test their knowledge because the first few questions were helpful and tested the delegate, but after a while, the questions asked were basically to show how much the asker knew and had nothing to do with the delegates need for help.

Help in some of the areas you suggest is good, but after a while, might you be in danger of helping someone to take customers that you would want?

Posted 23 Dec 2013
Bayrunner
Photographer
Bayrunner
Many such groups already exist at all levels of the business: Many 'mainstream' professionals have realised that several of the various organisations no longer have the interests of photography at heart, and have formed their own 'think tank' groups to network on techniques, products and marketing.

One group of which I am aware meet three times a year with members from Ireland, Scotland, Wales and all parts of the UK, so its not just local groups: Its a case of finding a number of like minded individuals who will COMMIT to the aims of the group - just takes someone to get it together.

Posted 23 Dec 2013
oscar
Photographer
oscar
Who, What, Where, When, Why?
Posted 24 Dec 2013
ianbutty
Photographer
ianbutty
silverk just sent you a PM about this. Depending on exactly what you have in mind I might be interested in hosting this at my studio.  http://www.ians-studio.co.uk - my main area of business is helping to develope the skills of local photographers (pro and hobbist) so what you are describing is a good match to what I am already doing.

Ian.
Posted 24 Dec 2013
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join