Leaving bad feedback?

Leaving bad feedback?

16 posts
15 Dec 2013
MG
Photographer
MG
This isn't a feel sorry for me post or a no show post in disguise... I had what I class as a no show today. I was pretty confident that it was going to be a no show and I was right. The model in question has lots and lots of possitive feedbacks but this is the third time in a couple of years that I have tried to arange a shoot for a specific date and time and the chain of emails just goes down the same route... 

So the question is, what is the point of leaving bad feedback on a model that has tonnes of possitives. You are going to be classed as the bad guy as you're the odd one out. Nobody will really take a scrap of notice of it as It's one bad in 50 possitives. You also feel spiteful and mean by leaving a bad reference.... especially at this time of year that everybody is supposed to be in a festive spirit. In the grand scheme of life, not showing up for a shoot is not the end of the world... 
Posted 15 Dec 2013
theperfectgentleman
Photographer
theperfectge..
perhaps she doesn't want to work with you?
but cares for your feelings
Posted 15 Dec 2013
Edited by theperfectgentleman 15 Dec 2013
MG
Photographer
MG
You wouldn't really book a shoot in and agree a price if you didn't want to work with someone? That's just my thinking
Posted 15 Dec 2013
Gerry99111
Photographer
Gerry99111
If everything was tied up pretty tight with your discussions in all the shoots you tried to arrange, why were you even trying to arrange a 2nd or 3rd shoot?

If it wasn't, then no shoot was actually confirmed.

If you are only offering TF, would the model be of high risk to no show if they got a paid job come along?

We don't know the answer to these points but you and the model do and it is probably unwise for us to offer an opinion that would be affected by these points

Posted 16 Dec 2013
OldMaster
Photographer
OldMaster
Why would it matter how many positives? The choice is yours of course but one aspect of negative is to flag up the issue for others. You have to decide whether you want to use the system or not. As you don't seem to be asking for opinions I am not sure what you are trying to achieve with this post except togain support for your actions or lack of them?

Posted 16 Dec 2013
I think, if I were in your shoes, I would ignore it and put it down to experience. I certainly wouldnt try to book her again. If she is a serial offender its only a matter of time before others leave her bad feedback. Did she contact to cancel or just not turn up with no explanation? Maybe 'theperfectgentleman' was right and she just doesnt want to work with you but then why agree in the firt place?? Its models like that that get us the 'flaky' reputation
Posted 16 Dec 2013
johnlp
Photographer
johnlp
If she didn't turn up, "no show".

If she cancelled within 18 hours of the shoot then "late cancelation". You decide whether it is with or without a decent reason.

I do it every time. Once there is one blue face, it might give confidence to other photographers to do the same, if it is happening to them. One blue face is not the end of their career, but it does send out a warning signal which others can benefit from.

Posted 16 Dec 2013
Amber6
Model
Amber6
... the thing is, what if everyone thinks, 'oh I don't want to be the bad guy' and just leaves it? Maybe you are in actual fact the twentieth person she did this with?

Posted 16 Dec 2013
Socialdisaster
Photographer
Socialdisast..
I remember a joke from my teen years, which I won't repeat in full but it's about a world war "ace" fighter pilot with one of the best kill scores in the force, he's known as name "****sucker" name. And the punchline is "I do my best for my country but I suck one lousy **** and that's all I'm known for".

it was a crap joke really, but is good to illustrate why leaving one bad feedback IS important.

Posted 16 Dec 2013
MG

This isn't a feel sorry for me post or a no show post in disguise... I had what I class as a no show today. I was pretty confident that it was going to be a no show and I was right. The model in question has lots and lots of possitive feedbacks but this is the third time in a couple of years that I have tried to arange a shoot for a specific date and time and the chain of emails just goes down the same route... 

So the question is, what is the point of leaving bad feedback on a model that has tonnes of possitives. You are going to be classed as the bad guy as you're the odd one out. Nobody will really take a scrap of notice of it as It's one bad in 50 possitives. You also feel spiteful and mean by leaving a bad reference.... especially at this time of year that everybody is supposed to be in a festive spirit. In the grand scheme of life, not showing up for a shoot is not the end of the world... 

It doesn't matter how many positives somebody has, if a model has messed you around/ no shown/ late cancelled and not given you a valid excuse (that you accept) then leave a negative feedback, she might be less likely to mess folks around in future if she has to face the consequences of her actions. If I seen a negative amongst the positives then I would probably message you directly and ask what happened - I wouldn't presume you are the bad guy, I would think "good on him for being honest".
Posted 16 Dec 2013
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
Just leave the feedback that's due. Don't feel guilty. You're just being fair.

Posted 16 Dec 2013
MG
Photographer
MG
To be fair in one respect, she now hasn't logged in on here or Purple for almost a week. I do also think that she has a fairly genuine excuse for not shooting. However, I don't honestly believe that there is any valid reason why she can't log in to her account and send a quick message. I will wait until I hear from her or that I see that she has logged in. I am of the feeling that I am perhaps not the only one that she let down.

So thank you everyone for your views. It genuinely wasn't a feel sorry for me post as I haven't been massively inconvenienced by any of this. I have said to her that if she is absolutely 100% honest with me in her reason then I may not leave bad feedback so let's wait and see...

Posted 16 Dec 2013
skymouse
Photographer
skymouse
MG

Nobody will really take a scrap of notice of it as It's one bad in 50 positives. You also feel spiteful and mean by leaving a bad reference.

I once had a model shortlisted for a shoot, and she had a very recent  "no-show and no valid reason given" and an earlier bunch of positives. I asked her what had happened. On the basis of the way she replied, I felt it was a mishap, and I decided to choose her and it went fine. If her response had not given me confidence, it could have outweighed the positives.

As for feeling bad about leaving a negative feedback, you're not alone (though maybe there is a reluctance for some to say so, for fear of seeming too emotional or unassertive). I think if it's likely to make yiou feel awful, you might be better off not leaving negative feedback. Some will not thank me for saying this (because there is an argument that the system is only valid if people use it consistently and accurately), but my answer is more about what may benefit you individually, than the community at large.
Posted 18 Dec 2013
Edited by skymouse 18 Dec 2013
MG
Photographer
MG
skymouse

..... but my answer is more about what may benefit you individually, than the community at large.

I have seen elsewhere that she has been ill for over a week. I saw also that her children had been in hospital... She hasnt logged in now for over a week. She knows there is trouble waiting for her from I suspect a few photographers... the negative part of me thinks if she can bothered to update her status and let the world know then why can't she log in on here and send any messages saying really sorry..... Eventually she might do but until she does I'm not going to do anything. It's Christmas and people go through a  lot of stress at this time of year. For those with no family to spend this time with, for those that are ill, for those that have no money to spend on anything it can be pretty miserable. I don't honestly think that I am going to help anything by leaving bad feedback at this moment in time. I know there will be some of you that think I'm too soft and I'm stupid and then those that think I just want a little 'arghhhh poor you' but as I said earlier, no huge great big loss on my behalf. 

Posted 19 Dec 2013
Edited by MG 18 Dec 2013
paulbatterbury
Photographer
paulbatterbu..
Hello,

Last time I was in the UK, I had 2 cancellations out of 3 shoots, one was very last minute, the other made it sound that they couldn't be bother to travel to the shoot location, despite I had to travel 2 hours to get to it. I left no good or bad feedback for these models, and I also had a huge lost, with travel and location hire.

The girl that cancelled at the last minute, had months to prepare and sort herself out, she was even asked where she would like to shoot. 5am on the morning of the shoot I got a text message, telling me she wasn't coming, it was too far. That sound to me, more like she fell out of a nightclub, and I could tel it was a waste of time, because they was no "can we arrange for another date"

However chatting to a few people (models and photographers) and mentioning the names you get reply such as "no wonder", "they are flakey" or "not surprised" it does pays off to network.... with the right people.

Posted 19 Dec 2013
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join