Internet provider

21 posts
11 Dec 2013
twentytwenty
Photographer
twentytwenty
Hi
I am sick to death of BT my current provider, thinking of swirching to Plusnet Are any of you guys on it, If so is it as good as they say,  swirching will save me £14 by the way and get rid of the pathetic BT homepage

Thanks 
Allan

Posted 11 Dec 2013
Plymjack
Photographer
Plymjack
Well you don't need to put up with the BT home page any how.

Are you likely to get fibre at you postcode soon?

Plusnet still uses the same lines so wont be any quicker but may well be cheaper.

Posted 11 Dec 2013
twentytwenty
Photographer
twentytwenty
I use to be able to avoid using the BT homepage, and log directly into my e-mail, however since Bt decided to change everything, I can only access my email via their homepage. which is full of total crap and takes a while to download.

My Area will take years to upgrade to Fibre, so I have to accept the slower speeds, but I just spoke to Plusnet advisers if I change now, I get 12 months unlimited package for £1.99 plus line rental per month, seems the deal. just hope its as good as they say.

Posted 11 Dec 2013
StNeots
Photographer
StNeots
twentytwenty

I used to be able to avoid using the BT homepage, and log directly into my e-mail, however since Bt decided to change everything, I can only access my email via their homepage. which is full of total crap and takes a while to download. .

I can still access my email through windows mail as there was an explanation of what was needed if you use a email program outside your browser, but can only check my spam through BT's home page.  I can also testify to BT's home page being slow to load and for the first few weeks it stopped working at weekends as it got full of IE specific code and had what looked like visual basic in the HTML, so Firefox showed a blank page for a login to email page.

Posted 11 Dec 2013
TheShinyOne
Photographer
TheShinyOne
Er, you know that Plusnet is owned by BT, I assume ? So you wouldn't be actually leaving BT..

Posted 11 Dec 2013
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
Using the e-mail service provided by your isp makes life rather difficult if you want to change isp.
It is relatively cheap to buy your own domain and thus e-mail, or alternatively share all your details with google in return for a 'free' e-mail.

In my experience Plusnet do what it says on the tin.

Posted 11 Dec 2013
twentytwenty
Photographer
twentytwenty
Thank you, I never realized BT owned Plusnet. which makes me wonder why their charges are so high compared to Plusnet, Any way I have decided to switch to plus net, get unlimited and save £18 per month

Posted 11 Dec 2013
Midnite
Photographer
Midnite
i get my bt email straight through outlook never go on their home page

Posted 11 Dec 2013
MG
Photographer
MG
TheShinyOne

Er, you know that Plusnet is owned by BT, I assume ? So you wouldn't be actually leaving BT..

It is owned by BT but it's a completely different company that does not seem to have any links with them apart from the fact that they are owned by them and they seem to be able to get an engineer out to you very very quickly should they wish to. I've been with originally Force 9 and then it was taken over by Plusnet since pretty much day one. There have been a few little niggles but for the main part I find them very good. They have UK base call centre that is based in Sheffield and I've never had a call routed elsewhere. Their technical knowledge is not bad at all and their packages are fairly reasonable. Of course it doesn't really matter who your provider is, unless you're on cable then everything goes through BT Openreach. Any BT engineer now tells you that they aren't BT. They are Openreah. On their vans and uniforms it says Openreach - a BT company!  

Posted 12 Dec 2013
Bit late to thi s conversation, but I would highly recommend Zen Internet www.zen.co.uk, slightly more pricy but rock solid with easy knowledgable uk support.

Posted 17 Jan 2014
Jackass
Photographer
Jackass
When I was with Plusnet I moved to a different county. After 6 weeks I was still waiting for broadband to be connected so I just cancelled them. Despite being with them for 2 years they stuck me for a £77 cancellation fee, and when I challenged it they told me that moving address meant a new contract. The adviser even told me I should have read the fine print! So if you go with Plusnet - read the fine print.

Posted 18 Jan 2014
ATVLONDON
Photographer
ATVLONDON
NO! For Gods sake don't use Plusnet. We are with them and our Broadband is rubbish. Plus they are part of BT so it's out of the frying pan into the fire. Just my view.

Posted 18 Jan 2014
cgwebster
Photographer
cgwebster

Where I am there is very limited choice for fast broadband so I'm with BT and have their unlimited infinity phone/broadband package, along with the international calling package.

I looked at the other options and overall, when I took into account internal calls (we have relatives spread round the world), BT was the cheapest.

Posted 18 Jan 2014
anthonyh
Photographer
anthonyh
Slight different option...I am with 3mobile. Costs £15 p.m., unlimited data tethering and massive amounts of texts and talk time...I bought into it as it is mobile and so far never had a signal problem.

Probably not the fastest data transfer in the world, but once 4G arrives and I get a modern phone that will improve a lot...but it is still ok...can stream BBC iPlayer for example.

Posted 18 Jan 2014
MartinB
Photographer
MartinB
I've been with Plusnet for over 10 years now. I've always found them pretty good. Currently on their Fibre service and connection is rock steady with d/l speeds of 72MB/s.
If I've ever had issues they seem to respond quickly, although I've occasionally had some fairly lengthy queue times on the phone.

Posted 19 Jan 2014
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join