compact flash card

23 posts
4 Dec 2013
minolta
Photographer
minolta
have recently done a shoot, and card reads some photos, and has doubled up some photos, not my doing, also say cant read photo and just the blank square you get, will not let me open any ideas ,i understand there is a program you can get, any ideas, thanks.

Posted 4 Dec 2013
paulford
Photographer
paulford
Were you shooting RAW and JPEG? that might explain doubling up, Look at the file numbers, can you view both of the doubled up files and are they the same number, Software for card recovery is available some for free off tinterweb, And some to be purchased, I have a free version from Sandisc and it is very good.

Posted 4 Dec 2013
flashysnapper
Photographer
flashysnapper

pm sent

Posted 5 Dec 2013
LaurenceJPower
Photographer
LaurenceJPower
Somebody who works with me has a Sony and it seems to default to saving files as both raw and jpeg if he selects raw saving.

Posted 5 Dec 2013
paulford
Photographer
paulford
Could be wrong but though if you save a raw file it will contain a jpeg file by default

Posted 5 Dec 2013
LaurenceJPower
Photographer
LaurenceJPower
paulford

Could be wrong but though if you save a raw file it will contain a jpeg file by default

Correct but that jpeg is within the raw file, this was a completely separate jpeg file, it clogged a memory card up completely and meant that copying the files onto a computer took forever because the girl doing it did not realise the problem.
Posted 5 Dec 2013
paulford
Photographer
paulford
Do they show up when using camera to view them? if so could you try a test, Take a series of photos and then delete the ones that double up using camera delete function then see what happens when uploading to computer.

Posted 7 Dec 2013
Midnite
Photographer
Midnite
It doesn't matter if you shoot Raw or Jpeg the image that is displayed on your rear lcd is an embeded jpeg.

depending on camera

you can shoot

Jpeg only
Raw only
Raw and Jpeg

on canon cameras the file name is almost identical for the raw and the Jpeg the difference being an _

one is img 1234 the other is _img 1234

Most Pc's wont display a Raw file image unless you install the Raw codec.

i'd guess the OP is shooting raw + Jpeg mode

Personally i shoot Raw only mode and extract the jpeg the lcd uses if i need a quick jpeg image.

Posted 8 Dec 2013
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Midnite

Personally i shoot Raw only mode and extract the jpeg the lcd uses if i need a quick jpeg image.

How do you do that/what software does this?

I'm well aware of the fact there is a JPG embedded inside RAW files but don't know how you extract them directly which I assume is a very quick process compared to batch-processing the RAW files in something like Lightroom (which would involve possible rescaling/resampling, colour conversion and the subsequent compression using the JPG algorithm).
Posted 8 Dec 2013
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
What advantage would you get from extracting jpg from raw rather than just shooting Raw + jpg

Nikon cameras use same file name with .nef or .jpg when you shoot both.

The question for op is do the duplicate photos have the same file name (number) ?

Posted 8 Dec 2013
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
stolenfaces

What advantage would you get from extracting jpg from raw rather than just shooting Raw + jpg

If you could extract the JPG image that's embedded in a RAW file then potentially it will be far quicker as you're simply truncating the file to reveal the JPG portion.  Normally when you convert a RAW to a JPG the machine has to load the RAW file, decode it, then go through the process of saving as JPG which will involve reduction in colour depth, potential resampling (because I don't think the embedded JPGs are full res so if you wanted to replicate them then you've got to do this), then process the image to compress and save it, all of which will involve a much larger overhead on a machine's resources, something to consider especially if converting many files and the basic embedded JPGs will suffice (for quick previews for example).

The embedded JPGs are also unable to be controlled by the user (in terms of resolution, quality etc.) so there's a good argument for letting the camera do this by having separate JPG files.
Posted 8 Dec 2013
Midnite
Photographer
Midnite
Morning Gents,

Mr Redchecker 1st,

The niffty little program i use is from Micheal Tapes.

Instant JPeg from Raw

Once installed upload your Raw files as you would normally.
Open the folder on your Hard Drive with the Raw files in it.
Now you can select all the Raws or just the ones you need using your prefered method(i ctrl+a)
Once you have highlighted the images you require simply right click on any of the images and from the drop down menu find Instant JPeg from Raw approx half way down the menu and click it.

The interface opens and you can set it up as you require

I have it set to native and smaller which gives me a hi res jpeg at full size and height set at 1000 px width 1000px which gives me a small jpeg with the longest side set at 1000px

i also have it set to put the extractions into seperate folders which just seems logical. i can the remove the jpeg folders to where ever i want.
You end up with 2 folders inside the Raw folder one has the full size jpegs the other the smaller ones.

The Jpegs Extracted are also edited to the setting you have set in camera for how you have the camera set for jpegs. sharpening, contrast etc

Posted 8 Dec 2013
Edited by Midnite 8 Dec 2013
Midnite
Photographer
Midnite
To stolenfaces

The advantage

More Raw shots per memory card
Upload to pc is quicker
conversion to jpeg is fast and it does its own file sorting, so i can just move the converted files as a folder.
i can extract a full size image aswell as a smaller one for say web preview at the same time.

You can then make your edits to the Raws as required and save those out as JPegs as per normal

For example

The Raw file IMG_2887 is 4752 x 3168 px @ 18.5mb, the full size JPeg extraction is 4752 x 3168 px @1.18mb and the smaller jpeg is in my case 1000 x 666 px @ 187kb

i can get this done after uploading my Raw files in a minute or so depending on the number of pictures.

So shoot Raw+Jpeg (technically 2 jpegs are stored) then resize and save plus if you shoot with small jpeg thats all you have.

give it a try, you may ar maynot like it, i find it very useful

Instant JPeg from Raw its also FREE!!
Posted 8 Dec 2013
Edited by Midnite 8 Dec 2013
Bill_M
Photographer
Bill_M
I too use IJFR. I find it can even sometimes recover the Jpeg from a corrupted Raw file, which can be a lifesaver!

Posted 12 Jan 2014
mph
Photographer
mph
Midnite
You can then make your edits to the Raws as required and save those out as JPegs as per normal The Raw file IMG_2887 is 4752 x 3168 px @ 18.5mb, the full size JPeg extraction is 4752 x 3168 px @1.18mb and the smaller jpeg is in my case 1000 x 666 px @ 187kb So shoot Raw+Jpeg (technically 2 jpegs are stored) then resize and save plus if you shoot with small jpeg thats all you have. Instant JPeg from Raw its also FREE!!
Interesting - may try this Found this on their forum: All the parameters of the JPEG that is embedded in the RAW (and extracted by Instant JPEG from RAW) are the ones as set in the camera as if you were shooting in JPEG mode. So it is identical to the JPEG that you would have gotten had you shot JPEG, with the exception of the size and quality settings. In general the size is the largest available, and the quality is one down from the best available.....BUT..the size and quality vary from camera to camera. Sometimes they even follow the JPEG settings, but generally they do not and are Large Basic for example.
Posted 12 Jan 2014
Edited by mph 12 Jan 2014
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join