folio updated and new website active

folio updated and new website active

18 posts
2 Dec 2013
Jasehenson
Photographer
Jasehenson
Hi all, trust everyone is well.

I've recently created a new website, it would be nice if you could spare me 2 minutes and give me your constructive thoughts.

Models, if you like what I do please get in touch.

www.jasehenson.com

Thanks
Jase

Posted 2 Dec 2013
Jasehenson
Photographer
Jasehenson
Hi all, trust everyone is well.

I've recently created a new website, it would be nice if you could spare me 2 minutes and give me your constructive thoughts.

Models, if you like what I do please get in touch.

www.jasehenson.com

Thanks
Jase

Posted 2 Dec 2013
dominicdgt
Photographer
dominicdgt
Hi Jase,

Had a look, I don't really understand what the site is for? You give a brief bio (brief is good) but no sense of if you offer photography as an option! Apart from the changing images on the front/home page the only images I can find are via the blog tab, but they're not yours? So I don't understand the point other than they inspire you?

If this is just a mechanism to have a website presence then content is your call, but if this is a method of drawing attention to your photography, where are the pictures I need to see? the detail what's on offer etc, 60 likes on Facebook tells me you started last week or aren't very popular yet!

I'd certain up the detail and content, if you want to engage with models I think they would need a better sense of you the photographer through mainly your work examples and creative ideas!

Dominic

Posted 3 Dec 2013
Jasehenson
Photographer
Jasehenson
HI Dominic, thanks ever so much for your feedback. I think maybe you're referring to an older version of about me -I updated it last night that clearly states I'm a semi pro photographers.... at as least I hope it does haha! Maybe you could take another look when you get 2 minutes and see if I'm made that clearer.

The reason for the site is really to have a presence, and show my potential. I've limited the content since I don't want to bore a viewer with loads of pictures and information, I was simply trying to give any models are views the right information and to the point - the images I'll add and update as I progress next year.

I really liked your feedback, so feel free to take another look and see ifI'm heading in the right direction or basically need to have a re-think.

Thanks a bunch
Jase

Posted 3 Dec 2013
dominicdgt
Photographer
dominicdgt
Jase,

No I read the current version, it didn't need the full 2 mins 37 seconds was enough! Creating a presence is always a good idea, every social media and hosting site will have limitations to how you can use them so having total control is a great tool to your photographic ambition.

You want I guess models to connect "Models, if you like what I do please get in touch" but you're way to vague what you offer and do, You assist with Glamour, Fashion and Portrait and use the terms semi and professional so I'm guess you'd want paying? I've no idea!

Inviting non defined contact "If you are interested in what I do, feel free to follow etc" is unlikely to be that successful, You travel the country shooting so again I'm not sure how relevant it might be to me if I'm up North? maybe very!!!!! People need very clear and defined ideas of what you do/want/produce. Remember models are looking at detail to determine sincerity and genuine intention as well as looking at produced content. With no contact details, a Map of SouthEast England with no actual address and a limited sense of who you are it wont produce confidence. No phone number, nothing.

Contact forms look professional but give the sender no record of what was sent, no idea if you read it and no way of following up. The text too is a graphic! I'd suggest as the site develops key features such as contact would need text headings for search engines to optimise the results for you!

Well done for securing JaseHenson.com If that's your name its a great platform for further development. Jase I don't even know if you are Male or Female, these things matter in the scale of things!

Dominic

Posted 3 Dec 2013
Jasehenson
Photographer
Jasehenson
Hi Dominic,

I totally understand where you're coming from and have taken on board your comments and feedback from other direct messages.

Thanks for taking the time to post and giving me food for thought.

All the best.
Jase

Posted 3 Dec 2013
Paul_Jones
Photographer
Paul_Jones
Jasehenson

Hi all, trust everyone is well. I've recently created a new website, it would be nice if you could spare me 2 minutes and give me your constructive thoughts. Models, if you like what I do please get in touch. www.jasehenson.com Thanks Jase

Hi Jase

Sorry, but I found the website lacking. 

Having to wait for the images to go past on a conveyor belt slideshow wasn't ideal.

I really, really like the design layout of the Blog, but then I realised that the photos aren't yours and it isn't actually a 'Blog' - just a photo scrapbook with no real content.

I came away from the site thinking that there could be a lot more substance.

Sorry for the honest feedback.  I'm no website expert.

Best regards

Paul
http://www.pauljones.org/

Posted 3 Dec 2013
Edited by Paul_Jones 3 Dec 2013
Jasehenson
Photographer
Jasehenson
Hi Paul, firstly love your site....its very fresh and modern to say the least. Thanks very much for the feedback, I've changed it a little from Dominic's feedback and clearly need to consider a little bit more The blog was ply a site to show people random pics for the time being. I will update the detail and entries as I shoot moving into 2014. As for the images on the welcome screen, maybe I should add a traditional page as a gallery... options, options eh! Thanks again, all the best Jase
Posted 3 Dec 2013
dominicdean
Photographer
dominicdean
Hi Jase. Im no web designer and just my opinion but it needs to look a bit 'newer' in my opinion. You need a better menu structure and layout. You also need the option of the images stopping so people can view them and more content. I would try something like wordpress which is easy to use and will give you a good look plus you could start with a blog rather than a site and build your site into your blog. Just my opinion, as you asked
Posted 3 Dec 2013
dominicdgt
Photographer
dominicdgt
I know from my experience of creating a website its a almost a never ending process of development and design, evolving content essential for generating and maintaining interest. Its great to try ideas, I know I was keen to make my original site informal, the problem is/are the fine lines that a lot of ideas might end up in reality conveying to the people who visit the site.

Informal might be regarded as lax or too casual, or a simple site might convey lightweight when it comes to quality/quantity of images you can produce. As an example I use my site now as a means to communicate detail, i.e lots of people ask, "what shall I bring" I send them a link with please come back to me with anything you're not sure about. I've links to my location, what to bring/do/expect FAQs, What I do, what I don't do, How much I charge when I'm free, it sounds too mechanical but these links added to gen conversation around a shoot add substance and I belive create a sense or confidence in people who contact.

Good luck on the journey! Get more content and give people something different on Facebook if they do link over!

Dominic.

Posted 3 Dec 2013
Paul_Jones
Photographer
Paul_Jones
Jasehenson

Hi Paul, firstly love your site....its very fresh and modern to say the least. Thanks very much for the feedback

dominicdean

I would try something like wordpress which is easy to use and will give you a good look plus you could start with a blog rather than a site and build your site into your blog. 

Hi Jase

Thanks for taking my comments so well.  I know it can be disheartening to hear negative comments when you have put a lot of work into something.

My website is built with Wordpress.  It's a customised Wordpress theme.

Best regards

Paul
http://www.pauljones.org/

Posted 3 Dec 2013
Jasehenson
Photographer
Jasehenson
Thanks both Dominic's. As ever great guidance and much apriciated. I think I'm going to go for the minimal approach, maybe created a different type of gallery and change the information around a bit. Will let you know when it's done, hopefully I can build it better the 2nd time around lol. Take care, look out for the next installments Jase
Posted 3 Dec 2013
Midnite
Photographer
Midnite
Jase,

Build it once then build it again by the third incarnation you will have totally changed your mind and started again.

i'm on version 3 of the one i'm currently working on (more off than on) and it's nothing like the first 2.

I'd agree with what others have said to be honest.

It doesn't hold the attention long enough

and doesn't really give a sense of what you want from the site. no offence intended

it's never going to please everyone but needs to get your message across and make people want to look at more.

Posted 6 Dec 2013
Jasehenson
Photographer
Jasehenson
Hey Midnite, no offence taken at all, All the posts have been really helpful to me and I can't understand why people get upset if you ask for feedback and can't take it - if people can't take the good and bad remarks, then grown with them, they shouldn't ask really should they? Not that I've got any good remarks from you lot lol.... but I have had awesome feedback which showed me I have to take a different approach. Seriously thanks for everyone i've taken a new approach which I'm currently re-writing... hopefully I can show you next week and get some more feedback. Have a good weekend and thanks again for your comments - everyone. Jase
Posted 6 Dec 2013
SDuell
Photographer
SDuell
dominicdgt
Had a look, I don't really understand what the site is for?
i agree just looked you have some very nice images on the main page but its lacking with some real inspiration maybe instead of using professional images of celebs on your site use amateur or unknown photographers images on it the site has your name on it .......... so make it about YOU not other people. i wanna see you work, your images, your passion. i want you to be my inspiration i dont wanna see someone eleses also write abit more bout you how did you start? what made you pick up your 1st camera and start clicking? doesnt have to go into a personal blog just an insite as to where you get your inspiration and how you get you ideas atleast you took the 1st step to creating a nice website now you just need to look at its content a bit more
Posted 8 Dec 2013
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join