Blanket emails

32 posts
26 Nov 2013
oceanova
Photographer
oceanova
Hi to all the models on Purestorm,

I have just recieved yet another Blanket email from a model who has neither read my profile or taken the time to comprehend what it states. I know this is a small minority of models who do this, people will jump on the band wagon that this is just networking however I find it just as annoying as Anglia Windows ringing me. The next thing, this particular model who cold called me I discover is awaiting approval, strange I know as she has been on here a while, she cold called me a last month as well.

Posted 26 Nov 2013
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
The 'awaiting approval' can occur to someone who is given a temporary ban (perhaps for those blanket emails).

Posted 26 Nov 2013
I don't do it but i know some models who do although they generally look at the persons portfolio/notes before contacting people, it can be quite handy for models who are travelling and have extra spaces to fill - I'm guilty of not actually checking casting calls myself so if somebody sends me a PM asking for a shoot there is a much better chance they will be able to arrange something quickly should I be interested if they PM me directly and offer a shoot to me. Granted its not everybodies cup of tea but it does work - if you aren't interested then ignoring/responding saying no thanks works. If you need to say no thanks more than once in a short space of time several times then respond saying "thanks again for the offer but still not interested" then block them if it really annoys you.

Taking a look at my e-mail inbox this morning (and every morning) - I get offers from websites I've put my details into, do I want to buy a plastic light up christmas tree or a dogs bed? nope, but one day something interesting might pop up in my inbox so its nice getting these updates even though they they do fill up my inbox.

Awaiting approval could mean many things, if you were genuinely interested in working with her then I'm sure you can find her elsewhere on the t'internet!

Posted 27 Nov 2013
Purestorm
Photographer
Purestorm
Yesterday Administrators were made aware that a member had spammed several hundred others,
and not for the first time, with a blanket email requesting paid work instead of using
Castings.

To stop this ongoing abuse of the Personal Messaging system her account was taken offline.

The complaints (not from anyone on this thread) were because she had clearly not read the profiles
of those she was messaging and because she was repeatedly spamming with the same work request.

The model's response was that she believed she was allowed to send 1000 mails a day
and as she seldom sent more than a couple of hundred she did not see a problem.

Evidently some of those she was sending her batch messages to disagreed with her.
Posted 27 Nov 2013
Edited by Purestorm 27 Nov 2013
oceanova
Photographer
oceanova
Well I just had an interesting email from ###@ ######, actually 2 emails, he sent it twice he was so incensed. It amazes me how some idiots work things out or read a few lines then make a lot of assumptions, yes I know on my profile it says I only work TFP/CD. I do pay models when I choose to, if I see a model I would like to work with then I offer her a rate, or if I put up a casting then generally that's paid as well.
Bob thinks that I expect all models to strip off for free, what a strange child he is!
And as for his last line "Go and ****ing die you knobhead" I think that is a little harsh, shame the troll hides behind the internet for his comments

Moderator Edit
Email removed - the US Realtor quoted was not responsible for the trolling email

Posted 27 Nov 2013
Edited by WebModerator 27 Nov 2013
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
oceanova

Well I just had an interesting email from ###@######, actually 2 emails, he sent it twice he was so incensed.

Looks like stocknickg's taking on a new persona, LOL

Posted 27 Nov 2013
Edited by WebModerator 27 Nov 2013
seanb
Photographer
seanb
I had the same email.

I don't actually object that strongly if it's done once, but my lack of reply last time should have got me off of her mailing list.

Posted 27 Nov 2013
pinkbuildingphotography
Photographer
pinkbuilding..
I did not know that you could spam on here.

I do not mind people emailing me.

As long as if I say no they take that immediately.

But when people do not take no then they are blocked.

David

Posted 27 Nov 2013
gerryquiff
Photographer
gerryquiff
Well I'm furious, I never get these mails. Isn't my work good enough (please dont answer that )

Is there someone I should contact to be spammed on a daily basis
Posted 27 Nov 2013
Millzy82
Photographer
Millzy82
Assuming it's the same model who sent me a blanket email, her levels have miraculously changed from what she advertised in her message.

Blanket emails are one thing but taking the bait & switch approach when requesting paid work is downright dishonest.

Posted 27 Nov 2013
clearview_photography
Photographer
clearview_ph..
gerryquiff

Well I'm furious, I never get these mails. Isn't my work good enough (please dont answer that )

Is there someone I should contact to be spammed on a daily basis

You have mail, sorry you have mails, 1000's of them

(only kidding, just in case)
Posted 28 Nov 2013
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictu..
I can't see it's that big a deal really. Admin have Sussed out what they think if someone is abusing the system. Other than that, you have an email to delete, big deal, block if it bothers you. If you're a touring model then a blanket mail in the area makes sense, it's called networking. For me, I find I get very little unsolicited mail here, hardly ever. Perhaps others are more popular, attractive, or wealthy
Posted 28 Nov 2013
Glossypinklipstick
Photographer
Glossypinkli..
I Blocked a model who kept doing it and has now signed in with another profile and done it again.

Posted 28 Nov 2013
mph
Photographer
mph
Glossypinklipstick

I Blocked a model who kept doing it and has now signed in with another profile and done it again.

A note about that to admin might be in order......... laugh

Posted 28 Nov 2013
I don't understand what the problem is? Okay it's a little impersonal but if the model starts by saying "Hi, i know this is a little annoying and impersonal but am going to be in your area on the following dates and am contacting all local photographers to arrange possible shoots. My rates are ...."

Seriously where's the issue? Should a model type out the same message over and over again omitting a few words here and there in order to make every message different when ultimately they are all about the same thing!?

Posted 28 Nov 2013
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join