Models who expect me to pay them for their portfolio upgrade

Models who expect me to pay them for their portfolio upgrade

30 posts
24 Nov 2013
bdfoto
Photographer
bdfoto
Sorry everyone ... no I'm not sorry at all ...  I just have to have a moan this morning about the number of models who post castings asking the photographer to pay them, because they want specific images for their portfolio.

Models, if I pay you it is because either:
  • I have been commissioned to shoot a specific job which requires a specific image or set of images for a specific purpose.  I get paid by the client.  I pay you to model for that job; or
  • I have a specific need for images for my profile / website / portfolio and you, the model, meets that specific need.
Yesterday's shoot was a male model in a tux and a top hat for a USA marketing agency.  I paid the model for his time, the same as I am paying the Photoshop artist for her time, and the client is paying me.

Models - if you want images for your profile then please be prepared to pay for:
  • My shooting time,
  • My studio time,
  • My heating bill,
  • My equipment and public liability insurance
  • My equipment maintenance
  • My travel time, and most of all
  • My knowledge of this industry learned over thirty years.
I am, no doubt, not the best photographer here, but please, models, if you want something to enhance your portfolio, then be prepared to pay for it, or at the very least offer collaboration that makes it worth the photographer's time..
Posted 24 Nov 2013
Edited by bdfoto 24 Nov 2013
Rawandthecooked
Photographer
Rawandthecoo..
Many times this kind of 'casting call' is just a marketing ploy, dressed up as an idea to encourage the clueless. Try and remember, it isn't about art or portfolio improvement, just parting photographers from cash. That is all.

I doubt they really 'need' the kind of shot they want you to pay for!

Posted 24 Nov 2013
Edited by Rawandthecooked 24 Nov 2013
Bob
Photographer
Bob
bdfoto

I just have to have a moan this morning about the number of models who post castings asking the photographer to pay them, because they want specific images for their portfolio.

Why moan Barney? Remember that these casting calls aren't aimed at you and me, but at the snappers who want or need to pay models with those models also coming up with the ideas for them. There are plenty of snappers who are more than willing to feed that particulat market. They call them hobbyists, and I bet your studio sees its fair share of them so don't knock them.
Bob
Posted 24 Nov 2013
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
It must be a terrible headache for you having to read all those castings for people you don't want to shoot.
Don't you also think it's awful that there are a lot of models up north who won't travel to the south coast or even London without expecting you to pay big expenses (or sometimes at all).
What a waste of a perfectly good casting system if models just post castings that don't interest you!!

Posted 24 Nov 2013
snapychapy
Photographer
snapychapy
well said...the original post I mean

Posted 24 Nov 2013
Edited by snapychapy 24 Nov 2013
bdfoto
Photographer
bdfoto
snapychapy

well said...the original post I mean

Thank you

Posted 24 Nov 2013
bdfoto
Photographer
bdfoto
bdfoto

... but please, models, if you want something to enhance your portfolio, then be prepared to pay for it, or at the very least offer collaboration that makes it worth the photographer's time..

... which is exactly what I am being asked for - and offer - by two very experienced published glamour models on another site.

Posted 24 Nov 2013
Edited by bdfoto 24 Nov 2013
steve0664
Photographer
steve0664
ill second that, for the op

Posted 24 Nov 2013
IainT
Photographer
IainT
Bob
Why moan Barney? Remember that these casting calls aren't aimed at you and me, but at the snappers who want or need to pay models with those models also coming up with the ideas for them. There are plenty of snappers who are more than willing to feed that particulat market. They call them hobbyists, and I bet your studio sees its fair share of them so don't knock them. Bob
Got to agree with this. Its just marketting...and a lot of these guys get a kick out of seeing their images on a models port even if they had to pay for the privilige. Cant blame the model for trying to make a buck. Doesn't affect me or any other Pro photographer so why care?
Posted 24 Nov 2013
I thought we'd already established countless threads ago that some amateur photographers are happy to be given ideas to work with even if they are paying for the shoot and sometimes are even happy to present the model with images afterwards purely because they took the shots for fun! Why do people get so irate about this kind of thing - stop reading the castings and contact models who fit your brief directly.

Posted 24 Nov 2013
mph
Photographer
mph
[qt][author]jessicard[/author] I thought we'd already established countless threads ago that some amateur photographers are happy to be given ideas to work with even if they are paying for the shoot and sometimes are even happy to present the model with images afterwards purely because they took the shots for fun! [/qt] for fun? - It'll never catch on. What are the amateurs thinking about?
Posted 24 Nov 2013
Biggles485
Photographer
Biggles485
I started out with a camera about fifty years ago, shooting scenes of land, sea and mountains, if I wanted to shoot a particular location / scene I'd have to pay to travel to / from that location and then the time it took travelling would count against shooting time. Now working with models they mostly travel to me so saving me time and the effort of the travel, the vary least I can do is reimburse reasonable travel costs and will always do so!

If a professional photographer only wants to work with a model when someone else is paying for the shoot I suggest they take up something they enjoy which doesn't cost them anything financially when they have to fund that shoot!

I'm constantly reading the same / similar threads on here and seems to me that photographers are willing to pay out on expensive equipment, locations and the like but want to scrimp on the subject matter, if a model seeks payment then pay them! Otherwise shoot landscapes, they don't never no-show and are cheap!

So many photographers are so far up themselves or blowing smoke up others, they forget to enjoy the whole experience; arranging the shoot, the ideas / location, meeting and working with people / characters / individuals and then seeing the results. Makes me wonder why they bother in the first place

Posted 24 Nov 2013
Gerry99111
Photographer
Gerry99111
No more daft than the photographer who keeps posting TFP castings for models to be spanked, like that is really going to benefit the models portfolio.

Those photographers that are good at producing TFP work or even being paid [ie they actually can produce images that will earn the model some proper cash rather than give them some more mediocre images] are far too busy shooting high quality models to notice or care what the other wannabies are up to.

If you have time to get annoyed about what some models get up to then maybe your product is not yet of a standard that will attract models to shoot with you on your terms

Posted 24 Nov 2013
Edited by Gerry99111 24 Nov 2013
basil
Photographer
basil
mph

for fun? - It'll never catch on. What are the amateurs thinking about?

I think the mods should stop these types of people joining the site. Lets ban all photographers without accreditation to three professional bodies and all models who haven't been published in Vogue (or Playboy for the adult models). Or possibly lets ban all photographers with accreditation to any professional body and all models who have been paid for published clothed work. I suspect the latter group is considerably smaller and has expectations beyond the average Purestorm member.
Posted 25 Nov 2013
Edited by basil 25 Nov 2013
silverk
Photographer
silverk
Biggles485
I'm constantly reading the same / similar threads on here and seems to me that photographers are willing to pay out on expensive equipment, locations and the like but want to scrimp on the subject matter, if a model seeks payment then pay them! Otherwise shoot landscapes, they don't never no-show and are cheap! So many photographers are so far up themselves or blowing smoke up others, they forget to enjoy the whole experience; arranging the shoot, the ideas / location, meeting and working with people / characters / individuals and then seeing the results. Makes me wonder why they bother in the first place
A very BIG +1
Posted 25 Nov 2013
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join