At last a court fully backs a photographer in a copyright theft case

At last a court fully backs a photographer in a copyright theft case

5 posts
24 Nov 2013
Kiboko
Photographer
Kiboko
GREAT! I experienced a blatant copyright theft when one of those dating agency ads you see on Facebook and elsewhere, appeared with the photo of a model I'd taken on a private paid shoot that I'd posted on one of my model sites. The ad said something along the lines of "meet attractive women in your area", and there was the photo. I immediately contacted the website, claimed ownership and copyright of the image, accused them of copyright theft, demanded a lump sum payment and threatened legal action if they didn't pay, or remove the image forthwith. It was gone in a couple of hours, (they never replied though). This link is well worth keeping as it sends out a clear warning to anyone who 'nicks your pics'!

Posted 24 Nov 2013
basil
Photographer
basil
Quoting from the article - During the trial, the lawyer for Getty, said Morel was asking the jury “to make him the best paid news photographer on the planet.”

Lawyer speak for we'd like all our images for free but if the photographer notices and complains then we'll pay him the standard rates.

Posted 25 Nov 2013
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
The irony of all this is that if anyone takes an image from the likes of Getty (even non-profit) they will come down like a ton of bricks and go for the jugular with their lawyers so it's nice to see the tables turned on them for once.

There was a case of a small church group using a small sample image from a stock library to promote a 'save our spire' campaign or something along those lines IIRC. At the very best probably a few hundred local people may have clapped eyes on the site. The stock library involved sent their lawyers in and subsequently sued them for ~£6000 IIRC. Yes, they'd done wrong but it the library's response seemed overly harsh IMO.

Posted 25 Nov 2013
mph
Photographer
mph
RedChecker
The irony of all this is that if anyone takes an image from the likes of Getty (even non-profit) they will come down like a ton of bricks and go for the jugular with their lawyers so it's nice to see the tables turned on them for once. There was a case of a small church group using a small sample image from a stock library to promote a 'save our spire' campaign or something along those lines IIRC. At the very best probably a few hundred local people may have clapped eyes on the site. The stock library involved sent their lawyers in and subsequently sued them for ~£6000 IIRC. Yes, they'd done wrong but it the library's response seemed overly harsh IMO.
+ lots and lots!
Posted 25 Nov 2013
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join