Review

5 posts
21 Nov 2013
Catuaba
Photographer
Catuaba
Hello people. All my work is from about 2008! And for the past few years I've now no studio and no new shoots and a whole different camera set up. I cant get tfcd work anymore (used to have them daily with the studio!) I hope to get out there shortly and get some decent images with some good models and re do the whole port with new work. And probably quite a different style. Pay for some good models and professional work. But.... What should I ditch from the port to make way for the new. OR should I ditch the lot and start a fresh. Additionally if anyone can recommend any professional models within distance from Blackpool and a location or their location to shoot from. Since all this old work I have done about an hour a day of photoshop and photography study and upgraded to the 5dmkiii so my latest shots of friends, family etc are very noticeably different from all this work. Thanks for any helpful critique.
Posted 21 Nov 2013
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictu..
It's really tricky so know what to say for the best here, I bit of a guessing game. If you'd previously owned and run a studio and had easy access to the raw materials for shoots, then the output on your portfolio must approximate something you were relatively content with and a direction you felt was positive? If that's the case, you should probably keep everything as it will be broadly indicative of what you hope to achieve in the future, and give people an idea of your style and approach. You can oif course replace as you go and augment or improve to your own tastes.

I don't know the area at all so can't offset any help in studio or model terms, but having visited a couple of times the sea town, think its a bit if a location gold mine in some respects and a little travelling inside an hour radius gives you a wealth of urban and country settings I'd envy being from the flatlands of the East.

I'm fascinated to know what you've been up to with photoshop for an hour a day with little new material incoming, or why you've opted for the 5d3 based on your fondness for constant lighting and static poses? So I guess my advice would be to crack on and produce something; chatting and researching or reminiscing don't make pictures.

If you feel there's a marked improvement from your first shoot with a quality model, scrub the old port and don't look back.

Posted 21 Nov 2013
Paul_Jones
Photographer
Paul_Jones
Catuaba

All my work is from about 2008!
What should I ditch from the port to make way for the new. OR should I ditch the lot and start a fresh.
my latest shots of friends, family etc are very noticeably different from all this work. 

Your portfolio should be current.  I would delete the lot and replace it with a handful of your best recent friends and family photographs.  Then build it up from there.

Best regards
Paul

Posted 22 Nov 2013
Catuaba
Photographer
Catuaba
Thanks, the photoshop work has been mostly car stuff and product photography, or editing old images and learning tutorials for web and design.

The lighting has always been a main issue of comment for me and I have recently been toying with a beauty dish and lighting styles.

Prehaps I'll see what the new work looks like and compare the two?

Posted 22 Nov 2013
andy_h
Photographer
andy_h
Dave

The location isnt a problem, there'd be a load of places within walking distance of parking a car pretty much anywhere near the prom. It depends what you want to shoot.

Not having a studio isnt something that should hold you back either, though if you really feel you need one, there's a few you can hire in Manchester, Preston and near to Blackpool. Which brings me on to the other question, there's a heap of models within a 25 mile radius of Blackpool who've logged on to Purestorm within the last 7 days. Some of em look pretty good as well. You've also got all the agencies in Manchester too

In relation to the current port, if that's what you're going to come out with, then probably keep the ones you like. Ditch the rest so you've got like 5 or 6 images, then add more as and when you see fit. Having 30+ photos in a port gets to the point where there's too much to take in and evaluate

Posted 27 Nov 2013
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join