In case you fancy a read - new online magazine by two forum members

In case you fancy a read - new online magazine by two forum members

20 posts
20 Nov 2013
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictu..
It might not appeal to all, but hopefully some of you will enjoy flicking through our new online magazine. Now putting together issue two.

www.spunkymag.co.uk

Posted 20 Nov 2013
paulcase
Photographer
paulcase
Looks great!

Posted 20 Nov 2013
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictu..
Cheers Paul, and I should have said 'now putting together issue 3' , two is out there. Links to both from the website above.

Posted 20 Nov 2013
magpie1
Photographer
magpie1
Looks excellent.

Posted 20 Nov 2013
CSD_Images
Photographer
CSD_Images
Interesting design but dear god, I wish the magazine would stop using a monospaced/uppercase font. That's so difficult to read on a screen let along as a print design. I get the fact that it's supposed to be grungy/edgy but there are better fonts that are suited to being legible. People don't look at letters, they look at shape of words. When you have all uppercase you make the person work harder to read your content and they won't make it to the end.

Also I do hope you don't intend to monetise the magazine via Issuu, we had to move from that platform due to the fact they no longer protect the URLs so easily bypassing any protections you may have in place.

Posted 20 Nov 2013
Rawandthecooked
Photographer
Rawandthecoo..
Great, when do I submit?

Posted 20 Nov 2013
Andy_B
Photographer
Andy_B
Some good pictures, but I totally agree with CSD on the font. I really couldn't be bothered trying to read it.

Posted 20 Nov 2013
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictu..
Interesting point raised by CSD, if you've time I'd appreciate a pm giving a bit more detail as I'm brand new to the situation really and haven't any guidance to go on. Right now we're just enthusiastic amateurs and really enjoying the process of getting the stuff together.

On the font point, I do see that it's not going to be universally popular but it works easily for us to read and the figures show that the first edition got to over 30,000 viewers and rising taking an average of over 2:34 whilst reading and looking through. Issue two is getting longer read times so maybe it's about demographic to some extent?

R&C, we had loads of interest from male photographers before and after the first issue so we've included a section for readers work to be shown. Details for submissions are in the mag and in the website.

Posted 20 Nov 2013
rtistik
Photographer
rtistik
Nice magazine, but totally unreadable due to the font used on the copy. If your read times are averaging just two minutes, then I don't think many people are actually reading the text.

Posted 21 Nov 2013
jpv
Photographer
jpv
I'll admit to "getting on" in life and that my eyesight is not what it was and trying to read the magazine demonstrated the fact. I gave up half way through the second page of text.

Posted 21 Nov 2013
Socialdisaster
Photographer
Socialdisast..
profilepictures
On the font point, I do see that it's not going to be universally popular but it works easily for us to read and the figures show that the first edition got to over 30,000 viewers and rising taking an average of over 2:34 whilst reading and looking through. Issue two is getting longer read times so maybe it's about demographic to some extent?
No offence but for something full of pictures, to equate viewers to use of font is simply ignorant and by passing the issue. I've flicked through it, looking at the pictures as quite honestly, it's unreadable. I get the feeling you don't really want to take anyones advice and that's fair enough, it's your baby and good luck to you, but I've worked online for two decades and if two things have held true it's that /blink was a bad idea and that noone, ever, uses all caps for body text.
Posted 21 Nov 2013
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictu..
I welcome the input SD, and it's clear here at least that the font is causing problems with engagement. We'll have a play and see what difference it makes using a more conventional set up perhaps. I think it's not been considered much before as we've been able to read it fine in the format initially presented onscreen, easier still if you've clicked on the pages to get a better view of the pictures. But thanks to all who've commented.

Posted 21 Nov 2013
I'm intrigued - why is it called "Spunky"? I've probably been in the adult industry too long but when I saw the title I did think the magazine was geared towards that genre...,

Posted 21 Nov 2013
Plymjack
Photographer
Plymjack
Have to agree wit hall the above re use of Caps... it just looks wrong and is not easy to get on with.
Posted 21 Nov 2013
dominicdgt
Photographer
dominicdgt
A magazine full of gorgeous girls/images and we're all moaning about text, Jesus how old are we.

Posted 21 Nov 2013
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join