Please dont hate me.....

Please dont hate me.....

44 posts
20 Nov 2013
Josh_Woodcock_Photography
Photographer
Josh_Woodcoc..
maybe im missing a key point here but its bugged me for a wile so want to ask other mind sets on it

"will not shoot nude TF"

in 9 out of 10 cases this is no issue at all but when a models strongest work is clearly their art nude on their portfolio if my payment is a copy of the images surely im going to want to shoot them at their best?

you dont see photographers saying

"will not use my SLR or lights for TF"

is there a point im missing? im i over thinking this and just need to get out mor?(probably)or is it another one of those things in this world the photographer needs to just accept?

josh

Posted 20 Nov 2013
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictu..
Market economics are relevant, nude attracts pay. Equally some models work nude at the same rate as clothed. As always, if a tf isn't mutually beneficial, it probably won't be arranged so no harm done.

Posted 20 Nov 2013
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
There is the asumption that all photographers are in this simply for the photos and sadly that couldn't be further from the truth. There are a great many who are simply in it to see some tits & arse (ever heard of GWCs?) and models aren't stupid, so why shouldn't they make the best of it? I suppose the saying "If you've got something worth selling, don't give it away for free" comes to mind.
Posted 20 Nov 2013
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
maybe im missing a key point here but its bugged me for a wile so want to ask other mind sets on it "will not shoot nude TF" in 9 out of 10 cases this is no issue at all but when a models strongest work is clearly their art nude on their portfolio if my payment is a copy of the images surely im going to want to shoot them at their best? you dont see photographers saying "will not use my SLR or lights for TF" is there a point im missing? im i over thinking this and just need to get out mor?(probably)or is it another one of those things in this world the photographer needs to just accept? josh
If nude is already their strongest work, why would they need to tf for more nude photos ? How would that benefit their commercial appeal. You've already been attracted by their nude work, so that just shows their portfolio is adequate in that area. It's like a photographer saying 'I may have some great colour headshots but I want to broaden my portfolio by trying some black and white nudes, sorry I don't need to improve my headshots. As with all things connected with arranging shoots, it is much better if a model or photographer makes their position clear and avoids time-wasted on both side.
Posted 20 Nov 2013
Photographer
Josh_Woodcoc..
stolenfaces
If nude is already their strongest work, why would they need to tf for more nude photos ? How would that benefit their commercial appeal. You've already been attracted by their nude work, so that just shows their portfolio is adequate in that area. It's like a photographer saying 'I may have some great colour headshots but I want to broaden my portfolio by trying some black and white nudes, sorry I don't need to improve my headshots. As with all things connected with arranging shoots, it is much better if a model or photographer makes their position clear and avoids time-wasted on both side.
surely in that situation your would shoot both head shots and nudes in 1 shoot meaning you both get what your after?
Posted 20 Nov 2013
Cody
Model
Cody
But would you get your kit off for free?
Posted 20 Nov 2013
Photographer
Josh_Woodcoc..
Cody
if you need me to to progress your career and you are doing something equal in return, yes
Posted 20 Nov 2013
Plymjack
Photographer
Plymjack
Cody

yes a lot of photgraphers seem to think you need to do lots of practice shoots before you can  charge to do art nude... and then they dont need to pay you as they have found another model to "help" or " teach"... 

Like you I agree models do not need to get there kit off for free.... 
Posted 20 Nov 2013
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
What would you be bringing to the party then, 'when a models strongest work is clearly their art nude on their portfolio' ?

Posted 20 Nov 2013
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictu..
if you need me to to progress your career and you are doing something equal in return, yes
Right, I can see that working out well then! I think maybe, on reflection, you are missing the point, widely.
Posted 20 Nov 2013
johnlp
Photographer
johnlp
Cody

I would, yes.  After all nobody is going to pay me!

Posted 20 Nov 2013
frankpht
Photographer
frankpht
Your assumption is your work is good enough to forward their careers. The models may think differently so getting their kit off for you is like throwing money away. Nude work is a models greatest earning potential and you'll usually find the best photographers are the ones that get to do TFP. Or have models pay them to enhance their ports. Can't have models stripping wily nilly for any old tog. Levels have to match levels in order to balance.

Posted 20 Nov 2013
barone
Photographer
barone
People TF whatever they like & it shouldn't bug you....You equating it to a photographer not using his "SLR or lights for TF"....is just silly...be respectful.....
Posted 20 Nov 2013
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
stolenfaces
What would you be bringing to the party then, 'when a models strongest work is clearly their art nude on their portfolio' ?
Oh I see now 'my SLR or lights'
Posted 20 Nov 2013
redbaron
Photographer
redbaron
Unless they are only in it for the fun, which if fine, why on earth would any model shoot for just prints, whatever the genre, unless there is some clear benefit for them? As already pointed out you sort of answered your own question. If she had a strong nude portfolio there is no possible purpose adding to that. Building up some other aspect of her work that is not so strongly represented may enable her to bring in additional work however.

Also it may be seen as a way to build contacts for future paid work. A bit like me giving away a free session and framed desk portrait to new clients knowing that if I get things right they will invariably upgrade to a wall print or buy other products and use me again in the future.

Even your talk about not using your flash backfires. I have a full studio but want to get in some locations sets soon simply because I have not done enough of that lately. So I would be effectively saying sorry but you cannot have studio sessions even though that is my 'strong point' on my portfolio because I have all I need for now.

I've even thought about doing a session without my SLR for a laugh and using the iPhone as it would be an interesting challenge to see how close I can get to what the SLR produces.
Posted 20 Nov 2013
Edited by redbaron 20 Nov 2013
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join