Finding a model

42 posts
18 Nov 2013
Black_Country_Bloke
Photographer
Black_Countr..
I need a bit of help here, there must be something wrong with the photographs that I have in my portfolio at the moment as I can't get anyone to work with me. So come on fellow members what's wrong with me? All I want is to improve my portfolio whilst helping with models portfolios.

Posted 18 Nov 2013
Edited by Black_Country_Bloke 18 Nov 2013
Have you tried posting a Casting Call? There are none Active on your profile at present?
Posted 18 Nov 2013
hi there if your prepaired to travel ti worcster im prepaid to shoot with you at my home

Posted 18 Nov 2013
Cody
Model
Cody
I have a place to shoot in London

Posted 18 Nov 2013
mph
Photographer
mph
Black_Country_Bloke

All I want is to improve my portfolio whilst helping with models portfolios.

Which I assume means TF shoots. You have to ask yourself if your images will improve the portfolios of the models you wish to attract - as if they won't you can't expect them to work with you. If on the other hand you are offering to pay.......

Posted 18 Nov 2013
Edited by mph 18 Nov 2013
Gerry99111
Photographer
Gerry99111
Have you tried to hire a model by paying them their fee requirements? Most models TF to get them fee paying work - do you feel you can get them images that will generate paid bookings?

You don't then need to worry about their portfolio and can concentrate on yours if you pay them.

With four or five photographers to every model, models can afford to be very selective who they TF with especially as half probably don't feel the need for any collaborations at all.
Posted 18 Nov 2013
Edited by Gerry99111 18 Nov 2013
jes
Model
jes
I hope this doesn't sound harsh but you don't have any images on your profile that would make many models want to collaborate with you.   Models will either want payment in return for their time or good images they can use for their portfolios.

Posted 18 Nov 2013
Edited by jes 18 Nov 2013
PaulManuell
Photographer
PaulManuell
I'd do what the mod said, place a casting call. Like you, I couldn't get anyone to work with me (about a dozen emails sent out, all read but only a couple replied to, and even they disappeared after one email), so I placed a casting call. I had 4 replies within a couple days, and although 3 of them were much too far away, the other one was near me and within a week we'd had a brilliant 4hr shoot. So place a casting call, you've got nothing to lose.

Posted 18 Nov 2013
redbaron
Photographer
redbaron
I'm actually wondering if this post and portfolio may be some other members idea of a wind up. If not then unfortunately the answer to your question is yes. I cannot believe any model would feel the quality of images posted on your portfolio is going to help them in any way. I'm sure there are models happy to work with you though. Indeed I see Cody has already offered. What you cannot expect at the moment is for them to do so for nothing. Pay for an experienced model who is capable of posing without prompting then focus on building up you skills to the point where you can approach models confident in offering images that are better than those she or he currently have.
Posted 18 Nov 2013
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictu..
Stick your hand in your pocket, find money, pay Cody, she's a very experienced and popular model who'll make life easier in terms of getting a good shot. TF isn't easy to arrange, some factors might make it impossible for you.

Posted 18 Nov 2013
Paul_Jones
Photographer
Paul_Jones
Black_Country_Bloke

I need a bit of help here, there must be something wrong with the photographs that I have in my portfolio......

Serious question, not a dig...  What makes you think that a holiday snap of yourself (?) as your main image is going to entice models to work with you?

You need to look at your portfolio from a model's point of view if you're intending to attract offers.

Best regards
Paul

Posted 18 Nov 2013
iestyn
Photographer
iestyn
Lots of good advise:
Stacey146 and Cody replied to you straight away, these are high quality professional models looking for paid work who could improve your portfolio no end if you can light them half decently. Jes has been more brutally honest but the message is easy, if you want good models to work with you then pay them until the point you can offer amazing images then models will come to you. It`s easy to know when your good enough, it`s when good models on here with 50+ positive feedbacks are knocking your door down looking for TFP, until then wise up and ask yourself what you can offer a model rather than what a model can offer you.

Posted 19 Nov 2013
PaulManuell
Photographer
PaulManuell
It's a shame the OP's not come back to give his thoughts on all the advice, or especially to thank Stacey and Cody for their offers to shoot with him. Having said that though, maybe he's emailed them, so apologies if that's the case.

Posted 19 Nov 2013
mph
Photographer
mph
PaulManuell
It's a shame the OP's not come back to give his thoughts on all the advice, or especially to thank Stacey and Cody for their offers to shoot with him. Having said that though, maybe he's emailed them, so apologies if that's the case.
I fear you misunderstand him. I doubt he has had many turn down his offers of £30 - £40 per hour. The key was in his words "whilst helping with models' portfolios"
Posted 19 Nov 2013
mrdl
Photographer
mrdl
Looking for TF work is about benefitting both of you. I am a hobbyist photographer, I mainly do TF shoots. Over the last two years, three models that have had their first, second and third shoots with me have since moved on, been signed up, and do only paid work. When they started working with me, the photos I created with them, hopefully, improved their portfolios. Now, I would not be able to do that for them. Hell, yes, they could massivly improve my portfolio, but they would gain nothing in return for a TF shoot.

I still get shoots. It's about developing your skills and artistic ability to the point where you can offer the models something different, something perfect, or something they can use to get paid work with. If not... you are asking them to donate their time to you for no return.

I was lucky when I started shooting to work with a number of very highly experienced models. I learned a lot of useful stuff from this, stuff that really can not be learned from reading it. So as others have said, if you want to get TF work, do some paid work with experienced models, and ask for their advice, listen to their suggestions, and enjoy being creative.

Posted 19 Nov 2013
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join