Editing.. Is It Rude?

Editing.. Is It Rude?

15 posts
13 Nov 2013
emmwood
Model
emmwood
When it comes to equestrian events, I'm the other side of the lens.

I've just found a selection of my images on a parent's page of one of the teenagers at the last cross country I shot dreadfully edited and have even cropped out my logo. I'm not happy. I messaged them and said I would have appreciated being asked before stealing my images and then editing them, to which I got "oh well, no big deal, everyone does it!"

No money exchanged hands; I went to help the riding school out with a bit of showing what their pony club gets up to on days out.

Thoughts please?

Posted 13 Nov 2013
Edited by emmwood 13 Nov 2013
mrdl
Photographer
mrdl
Yes, it is rude of them to edit your photos, especially so to remove your logo. If it happened to me I, and I was unhappy with the images that were used, I would ask for them to be removed. If they didnt, I would then contact the web host and ask them to remove it. Or.... send them an invoice for the publication of the image.

Posted 13 Nov 2013
HMansfield
Photographer
HMansfield
Link her to some news stories showing what happens to "everyone" that does it, and how it is a big deal.

Posted 13 Nov 2013
theperfectgentleman
Photographer
theperfectge..
If you went to help out the riding school then I would have a word with then expressing your distain.
I had it happen with another organisation and as they had a pull with one of their pupils they took it into their hands to discipline the member, and change the club rules to include this appalling action.

Posted 13 Nov 2013
OldMaster
Photographer
OldMaster
Invoice them and then see if "everyone does it".. Sadly its this attitude that has gone towards the general attitude towards the value of photography and photographers..? Who supplied the parent? The riding school....invoice them as well! Part of the problem is of course they can always get someone usually to cover events for nothing and when it comes to quality the majority can't tell the difference these days being used to so many social network images and amateurs covering weddings, etc...whoops I hold by my experience..there are two reasons photographers get work these days...jobs others can't do and jobs others don't want to do! Mind you when it comes to models there aren't so many of them that will do anything without payment because there will always be some one out there prepared to pay them and the quality of the outcome is of no importance...different may be when "the boot is on the other foot?"
Posted 14 Nov 2013
BrazenDivas
Photographer
BrazenDivas
OldMaster
Mind you when it comes to models there aren't so many of them that will do anything without payment because there will always be some one out there prepared to pay them and the quality of the outcome is of no importance...different may be when "the boot is on the other foot?"
That does not accord with my experience - I have had several models travel very long distances (up to 600 miles)to work with me without payment. I hasten to add that they approached me - my normal way of working is to offer people I work with a modest payment. I have learnt from bitter experience that in many things in life the statement "you get what you pay for" is all too often absolute rubbish.
Posted 14 Nov 2013
GSC4X
Photographer
GSC4X
They have already used your images.  Ask for an address to send the invoice to.  And no, its not rude, its THEFT.

Posted 15 Nov 2013
Edited by GSC4X 14 Nov 2013
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictu..
It isn't too much aggro to draw up a small claims
Court situation. In practical terms it'd e impossible for them to contest since the original raw file resides on your pc ( I hope)

Why anyone mentions models in the same thread is beyond me, twisted maybe?

Posted 15 Nov 2013
riddell
Photographer
riddell

"oh well, no big deal, everyone does it!"

Extremely rude and offensive an attitude that devalues the whole industry.

Posted 15 Nov 2013
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
This is why many photographers (esp. event ones) put ugly watermarks across the middle of them so that it's obvious the images have been pinched, another trick is to make images small enough that they'll desire to (hopefully) buy the big ones off you. Short of threatening legal action though you can't stop them though as people will do anything just to get something for free, even if it does look shit.
Posted 15 Nov 2013
Edited by RedChecker 15 Nov 2013
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
Whilst it is (of course) rude and rather offensive to interfere with your photo, most of the the replies on here such as 'devalues the whole industry' and even the (drunken ?) tirade against models expecting to be paid, seem pretty similar to the record industry's reaction to mp3s and Napster.

Going on and on about people using camera phones rather than paying someone with expensive equipment won't make the world go back to the cosy 90's.

Posted 15 Nov 2013
Edited by stolenfaces 15 Nov 2013
clearview_photography
Photographer
clearview_ph..
stolenfaces

Whilst it is (of course) rude and rather offensive to interfere with your photo, most of the the replies on here such as 'devalues the whole industry' and even the (drunken ?) tirade against models expecting to be paid, seem pretty similar to the record industry's reaction to mp3s and Napster. Going on and on about people using camera phones rather than paying someone with expensive equipment won't make the world go back to the cosy 90's.

I went into HMV the other day and apparently they no longer stock cylinders or gramaphone needles - no wonder they are having to close their stores cheeky
Posted 15 Nov 2013
skymouse
Photographer
skymouse
OldMaster

[W]hen it comes to models there aren't so many of them that will do anything without payment because there will always be some one out there prepared to pay them and the quality of the outcome is of no importance.

Back to "Business 101" for you.

A service provider is able to command a fee precisely because the customer considers the outcome worth parting with the dosh.

Posted 15 Nov 2013
skymouse
Photographer
skymouse
Back on topic,

To Emmwood: I'm sorry to hear what happened. We only have one side of the story of course, but to judge from what you've told us, what they did was not only illegal, but it was beyond rude: they were sticking their finger up at you and they knew it.

I hope you get some kind of satisfactory outcome.

Posted 15 Nov 2013
emmwood
Model
emmwood
Thanks everyone; I've reported the images to FaceBook explaining that they're my work and have been downloaded, logo removed and edited all without permissions. They have been brilliant and taken down the photos. Also big thank you to everyone who messaged me regarding this, I was swimming in a foreign sea so to speak, never dealt with this kind of thing before! Knew I could count on you guys! *smiles*
Posted 16 Nov 2013
Edited by emmwood 16 Nov 2013
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join