johnhowie34
glad to be here many thanks
please feel free to check out my portfolio I will be updating more soon

Posted 12 Nov 2013
dominicdgt
Photographer
dominicdgt
Hi John,

Overall the port here on PS has a clean feel, the gen look of the photos are like I'd expect to see at a shopping centre photographers stand! For PS I think you have to demo a stronger range of Fashion through to Glam at least, The nail shoots have a different styling so create interest but some sort of stylised effect over them I'm not so keen on.

Head shot ok i'd reduce her lines under the eyes, I don't get performance/stage they just look like ordinary photos unless hand in the air indicates artist at work meaning Broadway here I come. Watch the vignette on the bottom image it cuts through the hand and spoils the image.

If you've many years experience you must have a bigger range of pics to draw on, spread the range of looks you showcase here. You say you are uploading more soon!

Good luck,

Dominic

Posted 13 Nov 2013
johnhowie34
Photographer
johnhowie34
Hi Dominic many thanks for looking, I will take your views on-board and hopefully show some more interesting images over the coming months, thanks again for your comments, all the very best. john
Posted 13 Nov 2013
Fisherface
Make Up Artist
Fisherface
Hi John,

I hope you don't mind comments from a model and make up artist?!

Firstly regarding the image of the girl looking in the mirror... I really like the make up and the concept but you seem to have more lighting on the back of the model's head rather than her face which is the most important part.  I think this lets down the image a bit and is a waste of what seems like hard work by a mua.

Also, I think being a photographer should be about more than just knowing about the technicalities of cameras.  I feel it's a whole package of creativity and understanding people and how to make them look their best. 

Most of the other images are taken of girls in quite unflattering poses or with awkward facial expressions....for example the lady with short red hair; because of the angle of her head she looks uncomfortable in her eyes hence has forehead lines. 

The image of the girl with her arm in the air could have been far more dramatic with a different choice of clothing and perhaps edgier lighting with some shadow.  It's a bit flat.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Jes
Posted 13 Nov 2013
Edited by Fisherface 13 Nov 2013
johnhowie34
Photographer
johnhowie34
many thanks Jes, seen some of your work stunning and point taken thanks for your constructive feedback, I will work towards getting better
Posted 13 Nov 2013
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictu..
The sensation I get is of someone hanging off the back of a camera, perhaps with some tech know how but not an ounce of creativity. The nail picture gets closest but I'm assuming the styling etc were organised by the salon and model rather than yourself?

I'd say, set against a background of doing photography for a living for some while... You've been pretty fortunate and really ought to consider some training now to move yourself on. If not training, then at least challenge yourself a little, maybe even cock up a bit, just stop being bland.

Posted 14 Nov 2013
SDuell
Photographer
SDuell
loving the snow queen feel to your main image
Posted 15 Nov 2013
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join