So whats happened to purestorm? seems very quiet nowerdays

53 posts
1 Nov 2013
Iconic
Photographer
Iconic
used to be full of raging discussions and a bussling atmosphere - now it seems dead like an abandonned ghost town , what happened?

Posted 1 Nov 2013
Edited by Iconic 1 Nov 2013
IainT
Photographer
IainT
Iconic
used to be full of raging discussions and a bussling atmosphere - now it seems dead like an abandonned ghost town , what happened?
I kind of like it...people seem to be concentrating on using PS as a work site, rather than as a vehicle to get involved in the usual childish nonsense..
Posted 1 Nov 2013
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictures
It's a shame really, feels like an old folks home here now. Mind you, I prefer the moderators style; whereas I once thought it a bit draconian, it turns out they're more decent folk than some I've encountered.

Posted 1 Nov 2013
Iconic
Photographer
Iconic
its good to focus on work but good to have a bit of fun aswell - i agree old folks home or ghost town it feels lonely haha

Posted 1 Nov 2013
IainT
I kind of like it...people seem to be concentrating on using PS as a work site, rather than as a vehicle to get involved in the usual childish nonsense..
Love this!!!!!
Posted 1 Nov 2013
Plymjack
Photographer
Plymjack
I would say it is oddly quiet too.... I have 7 unread messages from the last week (over 48 hours old) all offering a shoot over the next month and they have not been read....in the past I would have only expect 2 or maybe 3 to not respond with 48 hours. I suspect the answer is a lot of models are relying on FB et el...
Posted 1 Nov 2013
mph
Photographer
mph
profilepictures

It's a shame really, feels like an old folks home here now. Mind you, I prefer the moderators style; whereas I once thought it a bit draconian, it turns out they're more decent folk than some I've encountered.

Can't think who you mean!  laugh
Posted 1 Nov 2013
redbaron
Photographer
redbaron
I'm with Ian on this one. The only danger can be because the forum is quiet people may assume to whole site is and move onto other pastures. Really though the forums are barely relevant to the function of the site, which is to allow models and photographers to network.

I think like a lot of photographers I keep an eye on most of the sites, quiet or not but I tend not to post much these days simply because the forums get so predictable. If I need a model for a session fine, I either approach direct or place a casting call. If I see a model posting that fits in with a need of mine at the time I may follow it up. Neither needs use of forums.

Indeed there is an arguement that forums simply attract too many fantasists. Photographers and models who shoot endless sessions with no real purpose other than to provide an excuse to preen each other on how good they are. Convincing themselves they are experts in every aspect of photography or modelling despite barely having earned a bean from the 'career' in their lives.

Posted 1 Nov 2013
Paul_J
Photographer
Paul_J
Iconic

surely with regard to the fourms a lot of the threads have all been said & done before anyway. no real point to a discussion if it's only banging the same old drum.

with regard to the purestorm community, did anyone notice a few days ago when a certain other portfolio hosting site was down, purestorm had nearly 500 users logged in (similar to the old days) rather than the 200/300 it now normally gets?
Posted 1 Nov 2013
Edited by Paul_J 1 Nov 2013
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictures
redbaron
I'm with Ian on this one. The only danger can be because the forum is quiet people may assume to whole site is and move onto other pastures. Really though the forums are barely relevant to the function of the site, which is to allow models and photographers to network. I think like a lot of photographers I keep an eye on most of the sites, quiet or not but I tend not to post much these days simply because the forums get so predictable. If I need a model for a session fine, I either approach direct or place a casting call. If I see a model posting that fits in with a need of mine at the time I may follow it up. Neither needs use of forums. Indeed there is an arguement that forums simply attract too many fantasists. Photographers and models who shoot endless sessions with no real purpose other than to provide an excuse to preen each other on how good they are. Convincing themselves they are experts in every aspect of photography or modelling despite barely having earned a bean from the 'career' in their lives.
Those are called hobbyists or enthusiasts very often. You should check out their work, you might well benefit from it. Maybe get in the papers again even huh?
Posted 1 Nov 2013
Gerry99111
Photographer
Gerry99111
profilepictures

Those are called hobbyists or enthusiasts very often. You should check out their work, you might well benefit from it. Maybe get in the papers again even huh?

+1
It is clear that the most successful sites encourage diversity. For a start is will encourage models to stay / join. Who knows, some of the quality that these enthusiasts produce may rub off on the odd pro who wants to up their game. Or maybe it wont surprise

Even the long serving glamour / adult shooters must recognise that some of their models didn't used to shoot stuff like that when they started out and wouldn't join the site if was purely a haven for random low class glamour and readers wives style work.

Where I do agree that careful moderation of the forum provides benefits is that forums usually lose control to photographers and become a place that models in the main avoid

Posted 1 Nov 2013
Edited by Gerry99111 1 Nov 2013
vasquito
Photographer
vasquito

Iconic

just need to reintroduce a bit of controversy...

Let's start with -  -  -  it's the bad spelling that's driven everybody away ....  (where's the emoticon with horns gone . . . ?)

V

kiddin' kiddin'

Posted 1 Nov 2013
Holmax
Photographer
Holmax
I got sick of the endless arguments. I noticed that if you said anything that one of the 'in crowd' took exception to, the rest would all fall into the same old routine of not daring to disagree no matter how well reasoned the 'outsiders' point of view was. It all got very predictable and was reminiscent of playground bullies. I got bored of reading it and most of my shoots are arranged through Facebook nowadays. The 'other site' is rapidly going that way as well I'm sad to say. I look in on them both once a week at the most now. I used to check them nearly hourly. The bullies ruined it. Sad but true
Posted 1 Nov 2013
magpie1
Photographer
magpie1
A similar thread was posted a couple of weeks ago. Some very good exchange of views took place and, I think, the consensus was that some tweaking and improvements to style, presentation would be very beneficial but that most of the respondents did not see a need for too radical a change.
As has been stated in previous posts on this thread and the other, Purestorm seems to be the preferred choice for those actually seeking people to work with. " Quietness" might be a sign that people are just 'getting on with it'.
It's easy to mistake 'noise' for activity, there is a site that likes to indulge in constant 'awesomeness' but it's gene pool of actual activity seems very small and a lot of the perceived activity is often individuals hyping themselves, as 'site activity' appears to be the crucial requirement for recognition of images.

Posted 1 Nov 2013
Edited by magpie1 1 Nov 2013
Mr_Catz
Photographer
Mr_Catz

I think the forum on pure storm is a lot more civilised than it ever used to be. If the internet bullies have moved on to a new playground, then that is good news for us.

Posted 1 Nov 2013
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join