What do I set my fee at as a beginner?

What do I set my fee at as a beginner?

35 posts
30 Oct 2013
Gussy05
Model
Gussy05
I am just starting out and I have had a few people ask what I charge per hour. As I have never charged anyone before I have no idea what the going rate is. Any advice please?

Posted 30 Oct 2013
PaulManuell
Photographer
PaulManuell
Gussy05
I am just starting out and I have had a few people ask what I charge per hour. As I have never charged anyone before I have no idea what the going rate is. Any advice please?
In theory, I'd say you can charge however much you want. But to get a more specific idea, maybe look at a few models' profiles on here by going in the search section and clicking the 'Paid work only' option. But I should imagine that, as you're a brand new model, you're not likely to get many offers of paid shoots tbh. Of course, that's not to say you shouldn't at least try. Hope that's helpful.
Posted 30 Oct 2013
Nash
Photographer
Nash
Hi Gussy,
I think the advice I would give, (based on experience) is don't set your rates too low! Some typical rates are: £20 - £25 per hour up to lingerie, around £30 topless, then minimum £40 nude. Also remember to include travelling costs (train, coach, petrol...). These would be for basic modelling work. I do a lot of amateur sploshing shoots (see my profile), which is usually to topless/lingerie (thong/stocking), not nude, but requires time to shower and change between sessions. I normally pay £50/hour for this type of mild fetish work. HOWEVER: some rates can vary quite a lot depending on whether the shoot is private, or if the models sign a release form for the photos/video to be sold on commercially. I'm alwats happy to give the model a full set of copies of everything taken during a shoot for their profiles. Hope this is of some use.
Best wishes and good luck!
Chris

Posted 30 Oct 2013
Gussy05
Model
Gussy05
Thanks all you are very helpful. I need a small portfolio built up anyway so i would ask for prints instead of pay for at least a few of them and to gain experience working with photogaphers as I haven't yet. This gives me an Idea of what my pay rate will be when I get to that.
-Gussy-

Posted 30 Oct 2013
Gerry99111
Photographer
Gerry99111
The advice you have been given so far relates to glamour and content work.

Some of the best art nude models in the country quite happy to work for 8 hours for a day rate of between £200 and £275.

They are selective on who they work with but if you over price yourself, why would someone looking for an art nude model book you?

The best advice is to look at the castings and get a feel for what models are requesting as a competitive rate

Posted 30 Oct 2013
Ive been.modelling.four years. and i charge a flat fee of 20 perhour for all my levels fashion lingerie topless nude openleg. etc x

Posted 30 Oct 2013
mph
Photographer
mph
Nash

Hi Gussy, I think the advice I would give, (based on experience) is don't set your rates too low! Some typical rates are: £20 - £25 per hour up to lingerie, around £30 topless, then minimum £40 nude. Also remember to include travelling costs (train, coach, petrol...). These would be for basic modelling work.............

And back on Planet Earth......................  laugh

Posted 30 Oct 2013
tarmoo
Photographer
tarmoo
I remember shoot Tansy a few months after she started. Her rate up to nude was under £20/hr. I think someone with little experience should think about a rate of £20/hr up to art nude and also be careful to work with photographers who have lots of references which you can check by sending PMs to the models the photographer has worked with.

Posted 30 Oct 2013
Edited by tarmoo 30 Oct 2013
mph
Photographer
mph
tarmoo

I remember shoot Tansy a few months after she started. Her rate up to nude was under £20/hr........

Mind you - you didn't presumably lie her on a plastic sheet and throw custard at her................  laugh
Posted 30 Oct 2013
Gussy05
Model
Gussy05
Thanks guys. So maybe I should charge no more than 30 for full nude i guess when i get going?

Posted 30 Oct 2013
GSC4X
Photographer
GSC4X
If people are offering you paid work on the basis os a few face-less selfies, my advice would be not to work with them.  Reduce your levels, get some TFP shoots in with local photographers.......read the forums, learn the business.  If you run before you walk you are heading for a fall.

Always check references....PM the models they have worked with.  Make sure someone reliable knows where you are going, who with and when you expect to return.

Stay safe......not sure if this will sink in....it's some of the basic guidance PS gives new models.
Posted 30 Oct 2013
FrameworksMedia
Photographer
FrameworksMe..
GSC4X

If people are offering you paid work on the basis os a few face-less selfies, my advice would be not to work with them.  Reduce your levels, get some TFP shoots in with local photographers.......read the forums, learn the business.  If you run before you walk you are heading for a fall.

Always check references....PM the models they have worked with.  Make sure someone reliable knows where you are going, who with and when you expect to return.

Stay safe......not sure if this will sink in....it's some of the basic guidance PS gives new models.

+1

The market is alway after fresh meat. The wise and worldly can earn good money, but generally don't expect any spectacular photography or portfolio development in return.
Posted 30 Oct 2013
Gussy05

Thanks guys. So maybe I should charge no more than 30 for full nude i guess when i get going?

I would say probably less - I have been modelling for over 6 years and only charge £30 per hour up to nude.. If people are asking you for your rates based on your current portfolio then I would be a little worried if I were you. Get some experience/a portfolio and then if you still fancy modelling then go self employed. Be very selective with whom you work with.. Infact the best thing to do is search your local area and contact THOSE photographers. When i started i was pounced on and asked for rates but wasn't comfortable/confident enough to ask for payment so said "no thanks at the moment" - the people who pounced on me weren't interested in working with me once I had experience and I developed a little bit of a better eye for a good picture and would have been horrified if the first shots anybody had taken of me had been from one of those photographers.

You only get one chance to make a first impression - so be careful its a good one

Also - its worth avoiding the people who leave your naked selfies picture comments - usually they are creeps who comment on all new models images with the same sucking up bullshit trying to get a shoot. (Not always.. just most of the time)
Posted 31 Oct 2013
Edited by Chrissie_Red 30 Oct 2013
mph
Photographer
mph
Chrissie_Red

I would say probably less - I have been modelling for over 6 years and only charge £30 per hour up to nude.. If people are asking you for your rates based on your current portfolio then I would be a little worried if I were you. Get some experience/a portfolio and then if you still fancy modelling then go self employed. Be very selective with whom you work with.. Infact the best thing to do is search your local area and contact THOSE photographers. When i started i was pounced on and asked for rates but wasn't comfortable/confident enough to ask for payment so said "no thanks at the moment" - the people who pounced on me weren't interested in working with me once I had experience and I developed a little bit of a better eye for a good picture and would have been horrified if the first shots anybody had taken of me had been from one of those photographers.

You only get one chance to make a first impression - so be careful its a good one

Also - its worth avoiding the people who leave your naked selfies picture comments - usually they are creeps who comment on all new models images with the same sucking up bullshit trying to get a shoot. (Not always.. just most of the time)

The voice of experience - and reason.  cheeky
Posted 31 Oct 2013
Sarge
Photographer
Sarge
Chrissie_Red
I would say probably less - I have been modelling for over 6 years and only charge £30 per hour up to nude.. If people are asking you for your rates based on your current portfolio then I would be a little worried if I were you. Get some experience/a portfolio and then if you still fancy modelling then go self employed. Be very selective with whom you work with.. Infact the best thing to do is search your local area and contact THOSE photographers. When i started i was pounced on and asked for rates but wasn't comfortable/confident enough to ask for payment so said "no thanks at the moment" - the people who pounced on me weren't interested in working with me once I had experience and I developed a little bit of a better eye for a good picture and would have been horrified if the first shots anybody had taken of me had been from one of those photographers. You only get one chance to make a first impression - so be careful its a good one Also - its worth avoiding the people who leave your naked selfies picture comments - usually they are creeps who comment on all new models images with the same sucking up bullshit trying to get a shoot. (Not always.. just most of the time)
Totally agree with Chrissie here. People are not going to love a photo that is badly taken, framed and lit (unless its got skin in it, and the more skin the more they like it). They will bull you up and make you feel as though you are the next best thing. Ignore them all. Learn about photography and what makes a good/bad photo. Look at other models portfolios, especially those with experience as they will have a good choice of only the best images (in the main). As already said, you don't need to do nudes until you learn how to model, or all you will have to show will be poorly lit and framed naked photos making your port look cheap and making it harder to earn a little more in the future.
Posted 31 Oct 2013
Edited by Sarge 31 Oct 2013
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join