Whats your thoughts?

Whats your thoughts?

33 posts
26 Oct 2013

Lets set it up for you.

A extremely good and attractive Italian lady photographer in her 20's and a boring old fart nearly 70 discussing a shoot and what is beauty.

It was a recent suicide girls shoot that we were talking about and the subject of ink came up.

In the course of the conversation we came to the conclusion that neither of us had seen a decent artist that is a tattooist, and why is the beauty and shape of the human form contaminated by permanent colours.

What's your thoughts.

Posted 26 Oct 2013
mph
Photographer
mph
Posted 26 Oct 2013
profilepictures
Photographer
profilepictures
My thoughts are irrelevant I think, in this matter it's really up to the individuals concerned and to model selection isn't it? You'd always be better off talking about photography I reckon.

Posted 26 Oct 2013
Gerry99111
Photographer
Gerry99111
Maybe the people concerned don't share your view?

The more people who don't like tattoos go on about it, the more likely those that do will go and get more, particularly if the old and young farts use such condescending terms as contaminating the human form [ie the form someone else wants them to have]

Posted 27 Oct 2013
johnlp
Photographer
johnlp
In the right context, and well executed, they can look very good e.g. nude, outdoor location shoots. When lingerie is the main theme they can overwhelm and distract.

I have real difficulty with "personalized" tattoos, peoples names, quotes from poems etc.  I really don't want them on my photographs.

On the whole I avoid in photographic work.

From a personal point of view I don't object to them at all, but if asked I'll express my opinions about individual tattoos in the same way that I might a painting.
Posted 27 Oct 2013
Edited by johnlp 27 Oct 2013
twentytwenty
Photographer
twentytwenty
If you don't like tattoo's, the answers simple don't book tattooed Models.

I detest people who because they own a camera, think they can dictate their views about tattoo's on everybody else. and this subject has been done to death already.

Mind its about time a tattooed model started a thread, complaining about non tattooed people.

Posted 27 Oct 2013
SDuell
Photographer
SDuell
personally girls with tattoos are sexy but then im a girl and i have tattoos
Posted 27 Oct 2013
johnlp
Photographer
johnlp
SDuell

Obviously my view, but, I don't see how it could possibly add to a girl being "sexy".  A total put off to see "Daren" emblazoned across a girl's buttocks just as life is becoming interesting.  A girl is either sexy or she's not.  No amount of jewellry, make-up or ink will change that. 
Posted 27 Oct 2013
SDuell
Photographer
SDuell
names of people are the decision of the individual i have a name tattoo my grandad who died in april

but photoshop the name if you dont like it in your image

also tattoos are an art form in there own right and beauty is in the eye of the beholder

Posted 27 Oct 2013
tomhl
Photographer
tomhl
theperfectgentleman

In the course of the conversation we came to the conclusion that neither of us had seen a decent artist that is a tattooist,

What's your thoughts.

So you are saying  the small town £20 tattooist is the same as the award winning £2000 tattoo artist? ie all crap?

You pay for what you get in tattoos, but to say none of them are decent artists is a joke. Having just watched a few programmes on the process of becoming a tattooist on the Sunset Strip in America , most tattooists study fine art at university before becoming one and they are amazing artists.

Some tattoos on models are dreadful, but some are amazing. But with over 50% of all 18-40 year olds in the UK having a tattoo it's rather silly not wanting to work with tattooed models..

Posted 27 Oct 2013
Edited by tomhl 27 Oct 2013
HMansfield
Photographer
HMansfield
SDuell
Personally I think guys with no tattoos and thinning hair are sexy. I may have a bias similar to yours.
Posted 27 Oct 2013
johnlp
Photographer
johnlp
tomhl

But with over 50% of all 18-40 year olds in the UK having a tattoo it's rather silly not wanting to work with tattooed models..

Not at all, it's a choice I make, the same as not inviting models with enhanced boobs.  I always put in my castings, "No tattoos", and although I get the ocassional model who suggests I could spend valuable drinking time photoshopping the tattoos out, I've never have a problem filling my castings with non tattooed models.  Perhaps this is why so much of the recent paid work I offer goes to Eastern and Northern European models.

Posted 27 Oct 2013
stolenfaces
Photographer
stolenfaces
tomhl
Some tattoos on models are dreadful, but some are amazing. But with over 50% of all 18-40 year olds in the UK having a tattoo it's rather silly not wanting to work with tattooed models..
If you are going to produce statistics it would be useful to quote your source, so that people can see whether it is from a respected analyst or whether you or the Daily Mail have made it up. The number of real models with serious tattoos would be an interesting statistic. There are many with a discrete mark which is the equivalent of a lapel badge, there are very few with the equivalent of a T-shirt. Like actresses, real models should be able to adapt to many roles and prominent tattoos can obviously be restrictive to the roles that can be undertaken. (Noomi Rapace doesn't really have a large tattoo on her back)
Posted 27 Oct 2013
SDuell
Photographer
SDuell
i think this topic is pointless

some people like people with tattoos some like people without

you can buy makeup now that covers up tattoos so for actresses/models (really anyone) with tattoos to say they are limiting themselfs is rubbish if someone wants to cover there tattoos then theres always a way

i mean yes people with tattoo obsessions can go a bit ott with the art form like the zombie man or the lizard man but they are men i dont think ive seen a pic of a girl with a head to toe tattoo

Posted 27 Oct 2013
twentytwenty

If you don't like tattoo's, the answers simple don't book tattooed Models. I detest people who because they own a camera, think they can dictate their views about tattoo's on everybody else. and this subject has been done to death already. Mind its about time a tattooed model started a thread, complaining about non tattooed people.

Hi I didn't say I didn't like tattoo's, I said I hadn't seen one done by a decent artist.

I wasn't dictating anything to anybody, but I detest shallow people who try and bully me out of my freedom to express an oppinion (which I didn't)
I don't think this aspect has been disscussed, and I just asked an oppinion and I would love models to contribute to the disscussion.

Posted 27 Oct 2013
Edited by theperfectgentleman 27 Oct 2013
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join