Any experts on peanuts/monkey nuts out there?

Any experts on peanuts/monkey nuts out there?

25 posts
22 Oct 2013
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Why is it that every now and again when you crack open a peanut shell you sometimes only get one nut in it despite the shell looking like there should be two?

Posted 22 Oct 2013
MadMod
Make Up Artist
MadMod
One nut short of a picnic, hun?
Posted 22 Oct 2013
Chosin
Model
Chosin
Awww leave him alone 
Posted 22 Oct 2013
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Just sat munching on a bowl of them and I'm getting some hollow ones, and utterly baffled as to how the shells get their shape without a nut inside.

Posted 22 Oct 2013
Edited by RedChecker 22 Oct 2013
Andy_B
Photographer
Andy_B
Peanuts aren't nuts, they're legumes...

http://www.peanut-institute.org/peanut-facts/
Posted 22 Oct 2013
Edited by Andy_B 22 Oct 2013
RupertRudd
Photographer
RupertRudd
False pregnancy?
Posted 22 Oct 2013
johnlp
Photographer
johnlp
I think, if you REALLY look hard you'll find a tiny shrivelled up nut/seed. Therefore there was one forming, but it stopped (for unknown reasons), but the shell/pod was still doing it's thing.

Posted 22 Oct 2013
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
johnlp

I think, if you REALLY look hard you'll find a tiny shrivelled up nut/seed. Therefore there was one forming, but it stopped (for unknown reasons), but the shell/pod was still doing it's thing.

Thanks,  I do occasionally get them with a little shrivled one that I can seen but also get them with seemingly nothing at all and they're the ones that baffle me.  I'm determined to stuff the bag of them tonight so I'll keep a closer eye out when I get another.
Posted 22 Oct 2013
clearview_photography
Photographer
clearview_ph..
The 'empty' ones are for people with nut allegies 
Posted 22 Oct 2013
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
Unless there's some thieving sod at the plantation who's cracking them open, pinching the 'nut' and then gluing it back together as some sort of cruel joke.

Posted 22 Oct 2013
mph
Photographer
mph
RedChecker
Unless there's some thieving sod at the plantation who's cracking them open, pinching the 'nut' and then gluing it back together as some sort of cruel joke.
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they are not out to get you!
Posted 22 Oct 2013
johnlp
Photographer
johnlp
I'm completely addicted to them, fresh or cooked. My digestive system hates them, so I endeavour not to binge on them too frequently.

Serious note. There is a mould that grows on them, you'll know about it if you eat one, and it produces a toxin which is a known carcinogen.

Wildlife peanuts if left out too long will also develop mould, and they think this could account for a slump in Greenfinch numbers. Why we can't eat peanuts packaged for birds I don't know?

Posted 22 Oct 2013
RedChecker
Photographer
RedChecker
johnlp

Why we can't eat peanuts packaged for birds I don't know?

I think they're the Chinese ones and they taste bloody awful, I'm very particular about what monkey nuts I buy and will only have ones I know are American because of the massive difference in taste.  You can stick the Chinese ones in the oven though and roast them a bit, not perfect but they do taste nicer afterwards.
Posted 22 Oct 2013
gerryquiff
Photographer
gerryquiff
The outer shells originally start growing above ground from shoots.
Its only when the outer shell (with the partially formed fruit) is pushed underground that light is blocked and the fruit begins to form and grow, nutrients from the soil are also absorbed by the shell to help growth.
. The small fruit you find has not formed due to too much light entering the pod, an also very little nutrients being absorbed.

Posted 22 Oct 2013
clearview_photography
Photographer
clearview_ph..
gerryquiff

The outer shells originally start growing above ground from shoots.
Its only when the outer shell (with the partially formed fruit) is pushed underground that light is blocked and the fruit begins to form and grow, nutrients from the soil are also absorbed by the shell to help growth.
. The small fruit you find has not formed due to too much light entering the pod, an also very little nutrients being absorbed.

Wow, you certainly know your nuts 
Posted 23 Oct 2013
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join