Thinking of moving to Scotland. Will I need to quit modelling?!

Thinking of moving to Scotland. Will I need to quit modelling?!

49 posts
18 Oct 2013
Hello... I am really thinking of moving to Scotland.

Probably sometime early next year. So my question is, is there really much modelling work up there? (up to adult)

I'm unsure where exactly I'd like to move. Perhaps Edinburgh way. I'm thinking there's not enough photographers to continue my modelling full time.

Any comments welcome.

Thank you

Roxy

Posted 18 Oct 2013
Keltica
Photographer
Keltica
Yes there is but on a vastly reduced scale.

Posted 18 Oct 2013
Can't speak for adult stuff although I am aware of a few photographers who shoot it..

I know though for nude its not very easy during the summer because there are usually quite a lot of models touring up here at any given time. Winter is the best time of year for me generally and 80% of my bookings are repeats and almost all but a few are location shoots.

ps- if it makes any difference at all, if I didn't have a house/family and my partner didn't have a decent job up here I probably would opt to be down South.

Posted 18 Oct 2013
Edited by Chrissie_Red 18 Oct 2013
Thanks for all your comments. Much appreciated.. I agree.. South is better for work, like London etc but we will see Thanks again. Roxy
Posted 18 Oct 2013
martinphoto
Photographer
martinphoto
I wouldn't expect you'd have a full time income - but would likely be able to continue part time and with a little focussed networking could build up a regular, repeat client list. As Chrissie says - July and August is tourist season with many models coming up to tour, so you would have an advantage outside of these months. Edinburgh is a great city - hope you make the right decision for you - and if you do come up, mine's a pint!
Posted 18 Oct 2013
gerryquiff
Photographer
gerryquiff
RoxyMendez

Hello... I am really thinking of moving to Scotland. Probably sometime early next year. So my question is, is there really much modelling work up there? (up to adult) I'm unsure where exactly I'd like to move. Perhaps Edinburgh way. I'm thinking there's not enough photographers to continue my modelling full time. Any comments welcome. Thank you Roxy

Just remember you'll need a passport at the border and you may be asked to adopt an orphaned haggis 

Posted 18 Oct 2013
Haha thanks for that. Yes well I suppose I could just get all the modelling work I can and have another part time job. Hmmmm big decision.
Posted 18 Oct 2013
_Maz_
Model
_Maz_
To be perfectly honest, I don't think Scotland is a great place for modelling (esp paid work).
You'll most likely get the bookings in initially because you are travelling up from England - English models seem to be more popular up here. (Which works both ways for when Scottish models go down south)
I wouldn't come up for the sole purpose of modelling full time, as it most likely won't be financially viable. If I could, I'd move down South!

Posted 18 Oct 2013
I think you might find it difficult and need to tour regularly. The NW of England is good for work. Good luck!
Posted 18 Oct 2013
KevinJS
Photographer
KevinJS
Hi Roxy,
Scotland should not be too much of a problem for you if you can organise tours. As Chrissie said models tour up there in summer, from your perspective that would be a good time to tour England.
Hotel accommodation can be expensive, but google is your friend and deals can be found, same with public transport if you do not have a car. In London decent accommodation can be found for a little as £28 per night if you do it correctly.
You will have to be mobile but you should still make a living

Posted 19 Oct 2013
tomhl
Photographer
tomhl
If you moved to Glasgow or Edinburgh you would get regular work depending on your rates, but probably not enough to live on or model full time. It would also help if you could drive as alot of places in Scotland are a nightmare to reach by public transport.
Personally I think you should look ar Glasgow to live - it is cheaper than Edinburgh, has more photographers, and better transport links to the rest of the UK (flights to London take just over an hour)

It would probably make sense to spend some time in Scotland before you move and put up some castings.

Posted 19 Oct 2013
atumeda
Photographer
atumeda
Since I am not a professional photographer but have another job working with large companies I can tell you this:
In Scotland is only one thing plenty, and that are midges.
Followed by too much alcohol.

Work is nearly always bad paid, except you are a banker.

My advise:
I do not know why you want to move, but if you want to boost yourself seriously ...

Why not going to the centre of everything (in Europe): Germany.
Everything is more plenty there than here, but also much more challenging and rewarding, (British laziness is not helpful).
Why Germany?

If you are in Scotland and enter your car and drive ten hours you are ether in the worst northwest on a tiny single track road or about just passing London, what is both equal to nowhere, because still in the same tiny country with all its limitations ...

If you do that driving in Germany (based Cologne) you are in less time in all the big centers: Duesseldorf, Berlin, Munich, Hamburg, Brussels, Paris, Milano.
And there is the world class of modeling and opportunities.

Posted 19 Oct 2013
photostore
Photographer
photostore
atumeda

Since I am not a professional photographer but have another job working with large companies I can tell you this: In Scotland is only one thing plenty, and that are midges. Followed by too much alcohol. Work is nearly always bad paid, except you are a banker. My advise: I do not know why you want to move, but if you want to boost yourself seriously ... Why not going to the centre of everything (in Europe): Germany. Everything is more plenty there than here, but also much more challenging and rewarding, (British laziness is not helpful). Why Germany? If you are in Scotland and enter your car and drive ten hours you are ether in the worst northwest on a tiny single track road or about just passing London, what is both equal to nowhere, because still in the same tiny country with all its limitations ... If you do that driving in Germany (based Cologne) you are in less time in all the big centers: Duesseldorf, Berlin, Munich, Hamburg, Brussels, Paris, Milano. And there is the world class of modeling and opportunities.

And yet you are here in Scotland yourself, did things not work out for you then ?

Posted 19 Oct 2013
HowardJ
Photographer
HowardJ
I don't see why you'd have to quit. The benefit of being self employed is you can live anywhere and travel for work. Sometimes people will pickup your travel expenses and if you plan it well you can spread your travel expenses over a number of jobs on a single trip.

Posted 19 Oct 2013
jivago
Photographer
jivago
Hi,

I would not be put off. Edinburgh and Glasgow are now very well connected through the budget airlines throughout the UK.

Posted 19 Oct 2013
To reply to this thread you must be a member. Click here to join